Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
09.17.2012 , 04:08 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

Please discuss this week's Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4 blog in this thread!
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Darth-Rammstein
09.17.2012 , 04:23 PM | #2
Thank you! I was tired of seeing blocky shadows even with settings on high!
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

Flamecloak
09.17.2012 , 04:27 PM | #3
I was actually just thinking about this the other day. Glad to see it getting fixed up.
I AM A GAMER
Not because I don't have a life,
but because I choose to have many.

Spittle
09.17.2012 , 04:28 PM | #4
This is a good improvement, but should have been optimised a long time ago.
Kristof
Prophecy of the Five

Jacen_Starsolo
09.17.2012 , 04:28 PM | #5
So that means the end of the shadows that look like they were made for the Atari 2600?

Gonco
09.17.2012 , 04:30 PM | #6
YES. This is awesome.
Synnax - SentinelEnox - Powertech
Synquist - ShadowKai'rah - Operative
<Stay Classy> - Prophecy of the Five

Sutaka
09.17.2012 , 04:32 PM | #7
Good news, thanks for keeping us posted.
Quote:
"We have very measurable statistics that tell us if people lose a certain number of Warzones in a row being stun locked by a team of Operatives, then that might be part of that, and they will be not as likely to re-subscribe."
Keep dreaming Georg, keep dreaming.

Red-Dwarf
09.17.2012 , 04:38 PM | #8
Ah, is that why I started getting occasional graphic tears across the screen in 1.4?

Not nailed it down yet but occasionally an effect in combat was generating a long thin line to the edge of the screen like it failed to hold shape and is just shooting off in a random direction. Still trying to get proper repro steps on it, came up occasionally on both the ground and space, only a minor distraction tbh.

DarthTHC
09.17.2012 , 04:48 PM | #9
This might be a logic question beyond the developers, but I'll ask anyway...

Quote:
The new system supports realistic self-shadowing. As the player runs around in the game world, they will see their arms, Lightsabers, or blasters casting shadows onto themselves.
WHAT? WHY? HOW?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

GratuaCuun
09.17.2012 , 04:50 PM | #10
This is great, I've got an NVIDIA GTX 550 - it plays Skyrim faster than greased gravel through a duck :P but for some reason, whenever I enabled the shadows, I kept getting major lag hits. From what you've said, this should really do a good job of fixing some of the issues for the game
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas in 1988... Ironic, is it not?