Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Consolidation

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kyriosgundam
09.17.2012 , 05:07 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
I know it's not specifically stated but if you are already on the "destination" server I doubt you are going to have ANY changes. That's how it was during the volunteer transfers...people already on the destination server dodged the bullet. However, it would suck if you took the xfer a few months ago and you have to xfer again as you are possibly in the rename game (ala my Fatman Characters) .

Either way we'll know in 12 hours
I am on a destination server from the free character transfer program and now I have to change servers again which is not right. I think the current servers they have are fine there is Absolutely no need to merge ANYMORE servers together this will just make playing the game worse not better. I wouldnt be surprised if there ends up being people waiting to log in just to get to their character selection screens after this because they CRAMMED TOO MANY people onto one server. Ive seen it on other MMO's when they did this and it never made for a better gaming experience. BioWare/EA has given no reason at all that satisfies me that merging servers again is a good thing. They are lucky this is not a account breaker for me but if they do it again after this time around it just might be.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

DanNV
09.17.2012 , 05:07 PM | #122
My worries with this move isn't so much the move iteslf, but the effect on the server. When there are close to 100 people on a planet trying to get a quest done is frequently almost impossible. If they haven't set up more instanced items, faster spawn times or multiple planet instances this isn't going to work real well.

Also, now that they have removed anything special about legacy names I will not be displaying mine. They mean nothing now so why bother? To me that's one of the worst things BW has done.

GratuaCuun
09.17.2012 , 05:09 PM | #123
Well, considering the super-server project has been in the works (that being what started the first mass server Exodus) this is hardly unexpected. I got lucky and almost all of my characters are already on Harbinger or Jedi Covenant, the only two that're getting shuffled around are my Smuggler and Jedi Consular - my Smuggler is getting shifted to Harbinger and my Consular is going to Shadowland (which is good for them since they were on meh servers) I just wish I could have sent them to Jedi Covenant instead since that's where my secondary Legacy is and I wanted my Smuggler to be the head of it...

Oh well, maybe this fall we'll get to put our chars where we want them ^_^
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas, 1988

Recoup
09.17.2012 , 05:10 PM | #124
This all kind of reminds me of Russia's forced relocation and consolidation of the peasant population to the kolkhozi during collectivization.

Millions died.

MILLIONS MORE WILL DIE! No, just kidding actually. Still, from the reactions, it seems they will.
Jung Ma | Novic Jedi Sentinel | Jannis Commando | Kael'tas Sith Marauder

Glzmo
09.17.2012 , 05:14 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
I know it's not specifically stated but if you are already on the "destination" server I doubt you are going to have ANY changes. That's how it was during the volunteer transfers...people already on the destination server dodged the bullet. However, it would suck if you took the xfer a few months ago and you have to xfer again as you are possibly in the rename game (ala my Fatman Characters) .

Either way we'll know in 12 hours
Well, it looks like characters from destination servers that are to "remain" could be moved to the new high-capacity server of the same name as well, so I wouldn't be so sure about it.

I hope that account activity also plays a role in who gets to keep the name. An account that was paid for since launch should have precedence in keeping character names over one that has been inactive for a long time.

It would be great if Bioware could update the FAQ and add the exact details on which characters get to keep their names in terms of a naming conflict and if destination server characters get preferential treatment by default in case of conflict.

On a side note, will the names of the character .ini files as well as keymap preferences and everything that's saved server-side remain the same or will we have to redo all the options?

Kryand
09.17.2012 , 05:18 PM | #126
If people who have had their name since the game came out, have their character fully geared and actively playing almost every day, and have built a reputation are forced to change their name because someone who subbed for one month in April happened to pick the same name on your arbitrarily selected destination server... your game is dead. Just FYI.

So I hope your "factors" for who gets to keep their name are a little better than last time.

Caereth
09.17.2012 , 05:23 PM | #127
seriously?? you're moving us AGAIN?!?!

I'm sick and tired fighting for mobs NOW and you're going to make it worse?? WHY AM I PAYING FOR THIS! This is NOT FAIR at ALL to the people who have been with you since the beginning!! I actually STRUGGLE to find a quiet time when I can actually get my quests done! And now I'll NEVER GET THEM DONE.

thanks a frickin bunch bioware.

NOT HAPPY.

KurganNazzir
09.17.2012 , 05:26 PM | #128
Something that just popped into my head, I've had severe latency problems since the first round of transfers so what in the world is going to happen to it now? Does this 'new tech' fix this issue or, most likely, am I s.o.l. and it's going to be worse?
Dark Eclipse
GAF

Jacen_Starsolo
09.17.2012 , 05:27 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryand View Post
If people who have had their name since the game came out, have their character fully geared and actively playing almost every day, and have built a reputation are forced to change their name because someone who subbed for one month in April happened to pick the same name on your arbitrarily selected destination server... your game is dead. Just FYI.

So I hope your "factors" for who gets to keep their name are a little better than last time.
The "factors" last time was just is the name available. So if they changed the factors to something else, that means those before are the ones who got screwed and should get their names back if the "factors" now would say they never should have lost them.

Setsugetsuka
09.17.2012 , 05:28 PM | #130
You guys really know how to *****, whine and moan about things, don't you?

Lol.
/popcorn