Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Merc Jetpack Ability!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Merc Jetpack Ability!

Technohic
09.21.2012 , 12:47 PM | #21
I like the train of thought in the OP. Shelved my merc and it wasn't because of how powerful I think it is or isn't (moved on to Sage next if that tells you anything). I just found it boring compared to the other classes. Starting off on Huttta it was cool; darts on panicking enemies and explosions sending them flying, then you get death from above and that is cool the first couple times; but then you realize that as you get into stongs and players, it just lacks luster. No wow factor.

Xenotoxic
09.21.2012 , 01:22 PM | #22
EDIT - Post idea #2 in the suggestion forums, IMO.

I completely agree, Mercs/Commandos need some kind of mobility tool. Though, I think #1 would exploit terrain too well and make Mercs the best huttball carriers. #2, as a Disengage, would be the best option IMO. It would utilize the jetpack and jump backwards in a straight line

-Snipers/Slingers are more like turrets and are good at facetanking. Where they lack mobility, they make up for it with defensive abilities. Additionally, I've had snipers roll into cover right out of my jugg's ravage. (I'm in no way saying that rolling into cover is RELIABLE mobility.)

-Sorcerers/Sages have force speed, which is a pretty reliable gap opener. They also have 2 talented roots and a baseline on-use slow in addition to their knockback.

What do Commandos and Mercenaries have?

-They have 1 baseline knockback, 1 talented knockback (which is being turned into a melee range root), and 1 talented RNG slow (will be knocked down to 30% from 50% next patch)

All 3 of these classes have a hard stun, a mez, and an interrupt (as of next patch).

Adding the disengage would work well for Mercs and for Commandos it could be a "Defensive Roll" kind of thing.

I support idea #2.

Snow_Hawk
09.21.2012 , 02:37 PM | #23
Here are my thoughts on this if you want a melee tank class you go with a juggy/guardian or assassin/shadow if you want a ranged tank you go for vanguard/powertech if you want the ranged tanks to use melee weapons it would force BW to make a whole new skill set same if you want melee tanks to use ranged weapons which imo would be a waist of time because while they are doing that they could be working on something else how ever i do think a bit more mobility in PVP would be nice for some classes like instead of having it where you get your armor with a jet-pack on it the ject-pack is an equipable item where they implement some sort of mounted combat and you are able to buzz around the WZ/RWZ for a short time at a suitable height and and fight that way but have the jet-pack have a cooldown so it is not spamed/bugged w/e also how defined do you want your class to be? we all got something the other class does not mercs/commandos get charged burst PT/ VG get flame burst commando/merc get heals whereas PT/ VG do not we all have something unique and if you dont like your class or advanced class well i got some news for ya "DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT" that simple maybe how ever a carbine or an smg like an MP5 or an uzi would be nice for the BH but there are alot of big blasters out there and they are very close to what an smg size would be there are 2 nice blasters from the pvp weapon vender on the fleet that look like mini G3's and some that look like a small uzi but if you had not noticed that game is still less than a year old so give it time look how long it took LOTRO to bring in mounted combat and now this fall LOTRO has it so why get upset at something that is not in the game at this moment? just wait and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that BW/EA have taken the time to make for us

PS. I dont know of any other game that lets us upgrade our weapons/armor

Fortunefive
09.21.2012 , 03:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Snow_Hawk View Post
Here are my thoughts on this if you want a melee tank class you go with a juggy/guardian or assassin/shadow if you want a ranged tank you go for vanguard/powertech if you want the ranged tanks to use melee weapons it would force BW to make a whole new skill set same if you want melee tanks to use ranged weapons which imo would be a waist of time because while they are doing that they could be working on something else how ever i do think a bit more mobility in PVP would be nice for some classes like instead of having it where you get your armor with a jet-pack on it the ject-pack is an equipable item where they implement some sort of mounted combat and you are able to buzz around the WZ/RWZ for a short time at a suitable height and and fight that way but have the jet-pack have a cooldown so it is not spamed/bugged w/e also how defined do you want your class to be? we all got something the other class does not mercs/commandos get charged burst PT/ VG get flame burst commando/merc get heals whereas PT/ VG do not we all have something unique and if you dont like your class or advanced class well i got some news for ya "DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT" that simple maybe how ever a carbine or an smg like an MP5 or an uzi would be nice for the BH but there are alot of big blasters out there and they are very close to what an smg size would be there are 2 nice blasters from the pvp weapon vender on the fleet that look like mini G3's and some that look like a small uzi but if you had not noticed that game is still less than a year old so give it time look how long it took LOTRO to bring in mounted combat and now this fall LOTRO has it so why get upset at something that is not in the game at this moment? just wait and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that BW/EA have taken the time to make for us

PS. I dont know of any other game that lets us upgrade our weapons/armor
Even though PowerTech's and Vanguards are regarded as "ranged Tanks" its only because they have the ability to use a weapon that has a max range of 30m, most of their threat generating abilities have a range limit of 10m or less, so in this instance using a melee weapon seems viable, again from a tank perspective, maybe not on paper who knows, regardless it would be interesting to see, gimme that. There are ways they can work around this, they seem brilliant...

Giving "melee" tanks the ability to use ranged weapons is not what I had in mind. That makes no sense, just coming from SW lore, jedi/sith only use sabers, but there are other types than just the standard single handed light saber and the twin-bladed saber, you have the whip, a pike (long staff with short blade), the one with a night stick shaped hilt, I'm sure there are others... Versatility is all I want, this is Star Wars, and it seems so constricted.

I am all for the 'disengage' ability, but still people could use it to jump straight back up a ramp or something (going back to someones terrain exploit), unless you are talking about a non-jump-in-the-air-and-back, type of disengage, which is what WoW has with their hunters.

Snow_Hawk
09.21.2012 , 04:11 PM | #25
Im talking about a Thing like JK3 had where you jumped or something or clicked a skill and got to buzz around not a shoot up and back thingy and are able to do some kind of mounted combat where your jetpack is an equipable item and you upgrade it with bigger fuel cells engines and son and so forth

LilTsar
09.23.2012 , 04:36 PM | #26
/signed. so long as its not too easy for them to get out of the pits or over a voidstar wall, etc. that said, thatd be some sweet, well deserved utility.
The Shadowlands: The Further Legacy
Brunch, Cowpunk, Hansky, Indiga,
Swashbuckle, Sharu, Monky & Gettinsmashed

Warlord_Maliken
09.23.2012 , 08:20 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LilTsar View Post
/signed. so long as its not too easy for them to get out of the pits or over a voidstar wall, etc. that said, thatd be some sweet, well deserved utility.
Yeah the jetpack wouldn't propel the Mercenary that high in the air. Its main goal is to get you away from enemies that are trying to lock you down. Flying 30 feet up in the air is something I think they could leave for the movies ;D I imagine it not being any higher than when we use death from above.

JimmyTheCannon
09.24.2012 , 04:23 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?
Mercenaries already HAVE a jetpack. Recharge and Reload, Death From Above - these both use the jetpack and are Bounty Hunter abilities available to both classes. Yes, Powertechs get that jetpack charge ability, and that should stay solely theirs.

A jetpack disengage, however, is sorely needed for the Mercenary and would fit very well. Personally, I wouldn't see it as one that has him firing the blasters, that'd be weird. But just a quick jet back to get you out of range, maybe something that breaks targeting - that'd be good.

Warlord_Maliken
09.24.2012 , 04:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
A jetpack disengage, however, is sorely needed for the Mercenary and would fit very well. Personally, I wouldn't see it as one that has him firing the blasters, that'd be weird. But just a quick jet back to get you out of range, maybe something that breaks targeting - that'd be good.
What would be weird about that? I would like everyone to youtube Obi-Won vs Jango Episode 2 and watch the fight scene. When it starts Jango does #2 ability of this post. He shoots a few shots while jetpacking away and ITS AWESOME.. Of course Jango's jetpack lets him fly 40 feet in the air for cinematic's sake, but in the game it would be a toned down version.

As you were saying, the damage part of this ability doesn't have to be in the game. It can just be a Jetpack Escape mechanic instead. That'd be fine though a little disappointing to me. Following that train of thought, why would a healer mercenary want to jetpack away AND shoot his enemy? Maybe it would be a good thing, maybe not. Leaves you to think whether or not this should be a talent-ability. All these things need to be considered and thats one of the reasons I posted this.

JimmyTheCannon
09.26.2012 , 05:10 PM | #30
I think it'd be weird because we're talking a disengage here, a defensive ability - not an offensive one.