Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Merc Jetpack Ability!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Merc Jetpack Ability!

Fortunefive's Avatar


Fortunefive
09.18.2012 , 02:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
Sorry, but no. The merc has both two guns and a back missile launcher. However, the only special thing the powertech has got is a jetpack. Now you want to give them both a jetpack. This means that the number of powertechs would greatly decrease, because this one would have nothing special anymore. Please, just lets keep the jetpacks for the powertech, its the only thing which makes this adv. class unique.
Oh yes, isn't Boba Fett more kind of a powertech?
Then Jango by your example is more of a mercenary, and still flew around more than Boba did. Regardless IMO the entire class needs something that makes them actually feel like bounty hunters, this would be a step in that direction. And do you realize how little damage that second weapon does? its mainly for the stats, which you also get from the shield/power generator, so that's a moot point. What makes them unique is their ability to tank, I could understand it if someone was asking to allow mercs to tank also, but no, the jetpack is the quintessential icon of the standard bounty hunter.

af_raptura's Avatar


af_raptura
09.18.2012 , 03:21 PM | #12
Greatly decrease the number of powertechs!?! Have you not heard of alts? If I play on my agent, I am not decreasing the number of powertechs, I am just giving her a break. lol.
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

starwarsmarsian's Avatar


starwarsmarsian
09.19.2012 , 06:45 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Fortunefive View Post
Then Jango by your example is more of a mercenary, and still flew around more than Boba did. Regardless IMO the entire class needs something that makes them actually feel like bounty hunters, this would be a step in that direction. And do you realize how little damage that second weapon does? its mainly for the stats, which you also get from the shield/power generator, so that's a moot point. What makes them unique is their ability to tank, I could understand it if someone was asking to allow mercs to tank also, but no, the jetpack is the quintessential icon of the standard bounty hunter.
Two blasters + a back missile launcher is two cool extras for the merc. Jetpack + tanking is two cool extras for the powertech. If you give the merc one more cool extra, a jetpack, then the merc would be 'better' than the powertech, if you get what I mean. But, however, this could be compensated if the powertech would have a two blaster or back missile launcher ability. Then I would be fine with the jetpack ability for the merc.

Fortunefive's Avatar


Fortunefive
09.19.2012 , 01:22 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
Two blasters + a back missile launcher is two cool extras for the merc. Jetpack + tanking is two cool extras for the powertech. If you give the merc one more cool extra, a jetpack, then the merc would be 'better' than the powertech, if you get what I mean. But, however, this could be compensated if the powertech would have a two blaster or back missile launcher ability. Then I would be fine with the jetpack ability for the merc.
So two blasters and Fusion Missile, for mercs, and jetpack and tanking for pt's.
Merc's can heal, that gives them 1 point over pt's, but PT's have a grapple, so that's another point for PT's, and PT's get to use Shield generators, so that's another point, plus they get flame sweep, that's another point....
This point system you came up with is completely bias on what you like about your AC's abilities.

I didn't choose my AC because I was able to use a Back propelled missile, or the fact I got to use two pistols, I chose it because of the capabilities and roles I could fill, I was interested in healing and DPSing, thats what drove my choice.

IMHO BW needs to do away from the 'each advanced class gets a unique WEAPON' and instead go with 'each set of advanced class gets a small array of weapons' why should my BH be limited to either 1 pistol / shield/power gen, or 2 pistols, I hate it. I would rather have the ability to use carbines aka blaster rifles+shield/power gen, possibly even for 'tanks' the ability to use a tech staff and/or vibro blade +the shield/power generator. I would gladly give up the two pistols for some other combo of weapons.

starwarsmarsian's Avatar


starwarsmarsian
09.20.2012 , 12:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Fortunefive View Post
So two blasters and Fusion Missile, for mercs, and jetpack and tanking for pt's.
Merc's can heal, that gives them 1 point over pt's, but PT's have a grapple, so that's another point for PT's, and PT's get to use Shield generators, so that's another point, plus they get flame sweep, that's another point....
This point system you came up with is completely bias on what you like about your AC's abilities.

I didn't choose my AC because I was able to use a Back propelled missile, or the fact I got to use two pistols, I chose it because of the capabilities and roles I could fill, I was interested in healing and DPSing, thats what drove my choice.

IMHO BW needs to do away from the 'each advanced class gets a unique WEAPON' and instead go with 'each set of advanced class gets a small array of weapons' why should my BH be limited to either 1 pistol / shield/power gen, or 2 pistols, I hate it. I would rather have the ability to use carbines aka blaster rifles+shield/power gen, possibly even for 'tanks' the ability to use a tech staff and/or vibro blade +the shield/power generator. I would gladly give up the two pistols for some other combo of weapons.
You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?

af_raptura's Avatar


af_raptura
09.20.2012 , 12:35 PM | #16
Back on topic...

I was thinking a little bit more on the post that I had made earlier regarding the commando mirror. I would like to propose something else now that I thought about it more. The idea is similar to what is seen in the clone wars cartoons. Have a move called "Gunship Assist." Visually, it would have a grappel drop out of the sky as though sent by a military gunship. The line would then move the commando either backwards or to the ground target as dictated by the Mercenary move.

I mean come on! If agents can ask the imperial military for a bombardment, why can't commandos as for a gunship assisted retreat?
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

Warlord_Maliken's Avatar


Warlord_Maliken
09.20.2012 , 01:47 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.
This thread is open for opinions and I welcome them with open arms but I dont quite understand your argument here. This would not change the fact that Powertech is a heavy armor MELEE to Medium Range burst DPS class with a tanking roll. Very different from the Mercenary. They have GRAPPLE (pull enemies to them) and CHARGE (Jetpack Charge if your tank).
I'm not even going to compare the Mercenary and Powertech in grid format for you as the above statement is enough. The Powertech will still be a boss and have a tank roll in it while maintaing its fun and unique mechanics (grapple, charge, melee style).

Also in a previous post you also said that no one would play Powertech anymore if either of the 2 jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.. I think we all know that would not be the case at all. They hold unique mechanics and are VERY strong and an easy-going class. They're easy to play and do a lot of damage plus they have the melee aspect that the Mercenary doesnt have at all (which is fine!).
I stand by what i said, this would only make the gameplay and PvP combat more fun for us all if either of these jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.

"If you turn a class into 1 thing then there wouldnt be a point at making a choice."
???
I think your opinion may change over time as you play the game more. To sympothise with you I was furious in beta that Sith could run around with green/blue lightsabers. I wanted all sith to have the classical red/white sabers b/c anything else was just not what I knew as Star Wars. My view on this shifted as I started playing the game. Now I love to have the option (though i choose red on my juggy) and don't mind it in the game at all lol.

P.S. Keep in mind of the possibility that all Powertechs may get "Jet Charge" as an ability in the future, rather than have to spend a talent point to get it. The game is ever changing, and for the better since release. BioWare has been doing an amazing job of that.

GARhenus's Avatar


GARhenus
09.20.2012 , 08:40 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by THorsblood View Post

Then again i see both options as potential exploits to datacron hunters, However that shouldn't stop them, since sage's have a friendly pull and guardians have a friendly leap and can just use a party to cheat for them. (though it would be slightly different since you wouldn't need a 2nd person...)
But bounty hunters are good at navigating through terrain to hunt down their targets so that's fine (same goes for commando because of running through all those obstacle courses in boot camp)

biggest problem though would be implementing a non-ridiculous, non-jetpack-based mirror version for the trooper

starwarsmarsian's Avatar


starwarsmarsian
09.21.2012 , 09:40 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Warlord_Maliken View Post
This thread is open for opinions and I welcome them with open arms but I dont quite understand your argument here. This would not change the fact that Powertech is a heavy armor MELEE to Medium Range burst DPS class with a tanking roll. Very different from the Mercenary. They have GRAPPLE (pull enemies to them) and CHARGE (Jetpack Charge if your tank).
I'm not even going to compare the Mercenary and Powertech in grid format for you as the above statement is enough. The Powertech will still be a boss and have a tank roll in it while maintaing its fun and unique mechanics (grapple, charge, melee style).

Also in a previous post you also said that no one would play Powertech anymore if either of the 2 jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.. I think we all know that would not be the case at all. They hold unique mechanics and are VERY strong and an easy-going class. They're easy to play and do a lot of damage plus they have the melee aspect that the Mercenary doesnt have at all (which is fine!).
I stand by what i said, this would only make the gameplay and PvP combat more fun for us all if either of these jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.

"If you turn a class into 1 thing then there wouldnt be a point at making a choice."
???
I think your opinion may change over time as you play the game more. To sympothise with you I was furious in beta that Sith could run around with green/blue lightsabers. I wanted all sith to have the classical red/white sabers b/c anything else was just not what I knew as Star Wars. My view on this shifted as I started playing the game. Now I love to have the option (though i choose red on my juggy) and don't mind it in the game at all lol.

P.S. Keep in mind of the possibility that all Powertechs may get "Jet Charge" as an ability in the future, rather than have to spend a talent point to get it. The game is ever changing, and for the better since release. BioWare has been doing an amazing job of that.
Okay, maybe my statement that the amount of Powertechs would greatly decrease was a bit undue.
But I just think that jetpacks should stay Powertech.

Fortunefive's Avatar


Fortunefive
09.21.2012 , 12:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?
I understand what you're saying. Actually People should make a choice on what capabilities (aka Roles) each AC can do, and what they wish to do themselves, not on wether or not they get to use a certain weapon or ability vs the other AC.

I assume when you ask "Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor?" you mean ....a jetpack or the ability to tank? because both AC's get heavy armor.

To clarify I don't want all Classes to be able to use ALL weapons, rather a small subset of weapons for a bit of variety. Why can't a PT use a heavy cannon like commandos? or two blasters like a merc? or if they wanted to a vibrosword? (as a tank) Granted they would have to retool a few skills to allow them the ability to use the 30 meter rapid shots ability, I am not saying my ideas are completely thought out, but think of the diversity, this is STAR WARS ,classes in this game SHOULD be as diverse as possible, I am tired of the same cookie cutter classes, that's why SWG, IMO, was great, Diversity.

Quote: Originally Posted by af_raptura View Post
Back on topic...

I was thinking a little bit more on the post that I had made earlier regarding the commando mirror. I would like to propose something else now that I thought about it more. The idea is similar to what is seen in the clone wars cartoons. Have a move called "Gunship Assist." Visually, it would have a grappel drop out of the sky as though sent by a military gunship. The line would then move the commando either backwards or to the ground target as dictated by the Mercenary move.

I mean come on! If agents can ask the imperial military for a bombardment, why can't commandos as for a gunship assisted retreat?
A simple fix, would be the same graphic as the vanguard's charge, just make it a "rocket boot" propelled form of evasion, no need to add some ugly graphic, imo.

Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
Okay, maybe my statement that the amount of Powertechs would greatly decrease was a bit undue.
But I just think that jetpacks should stay Powertech.

But why? Back when they were discussing the decision behind adding each class modeled after a specific SW character, I believe the Bounty Hunter was based on Boba Fett. (back in 08)
What you are saying, is like me saying that all commando's can still wear heavy armor, but it has to look like army fatigues, not the Iconic Republic Trooper's armor. Jet-packs, are notoriously used by Bounty Hunters, IMHO it is insulting that they didn't incorporate the use of the Jet-pack more into skills/abilities/ utility. Am I surprised? No, it is an MMO after all, and people would always complain about balance.