Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why aren't all the Operations in the group finder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why aren't all the Operations in the group finder
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MaliksKid's Avatar


MaliksKid
09.25.2012 , 11:25 AM | #11
A simple solution would be to remove the enrage timers from story mode.

mikebevo's Avatar


mikebevo
09.25.2012 , 12:39 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MaliksKid View Post
A simple solution would be to remove the enrage timers from story mode.
That would work, but it would turn SM Ops into a total joke with no sense of accomplishment at all.

ToremOde's Avatar


ToremOde
09.25.2012 , 03:13 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We do have plans to make more Operations available in the group finder in the future, but (as others have mentioned) we do want to avoid sending groups into content that might be too challenging (due to the players being undergeared or less organized). This recent post in response to whether Terror from Beyond would be in the Group Finder has some relevant info:

Allison, not sure if this has been suggested elsewhere so I'll go ahead and suggest it. Why not add a system that only allows players to queue for the harder ops if they have completed X number of hard mode flashpoints/ story mode ops? It would mean that the chances of undergeared players joining for something they can't do would be reduced significantly.

Also, why would KP and EV have to be 'rotated out' if other ops were added? This seems silly to me, as doing that is basically hiding the content, as groups will be harder to find for those ops, thus the content will be pretty much obsolete.

Swalsugmass's Avatar


Swalsugmass
09.25.2012 , 03:35 PM | #14
All the Tier gear in the game has a rating! so just make specific OPs that require a certain level of gear to have a gear rating lvl, for example Columi has a rating of 136 so if i have overall gear rating of 600+ then I'm allowed to queue for EC HM via the group finder.
Imperial Remanent

Obscuritas Illaina :: Bounty Hunter :: Mercenary

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.25.2012 , 03:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Swalsugmass View Post
All the Tier gear in the game has a rating! so just make specific OPs that require a certain level of gear to have a gear rating lvl, for example Columi has a rating of 136 so if i have overall gear rating of 600+ then I'm allowed to queue for EC HM via the group finder.
Gear checker won't weed out a player that lacks skill. Skill > gear.

It's so easy to farm black hole commendations and get gear, you could have people queuing for HM EC with a super-high gear rating that had never set foot in ANY op and need more experience before running it.

I've seen a black-hole-geared dps fail his assigned Infernal Council member (timer reset and Luthro had 41% health left). I've also seen someone in recruit gear main tank all of HM EV.

The original idea posted on this thread is that higher level ops are "unlocked" by successfully completing lower level ops -- that is a much better solution.

mikebevo's Avatar


mikebevo
09.25.2012 , 03:54 PM | #16
No way I am healing a pug EC HM with everyone in Columi, unless that thing checked they were fully augmented too.

Sithcreep's Avatar


Sithcreep
09.25.2012 , 05:42 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
Basically this.

EC requires too much coordination for a random PUG. When it was play tested, players basically said that it just didn't work through a group finder. Also, the group finder doesn't rate your gear, so it is setup to cater to players in basic gear for their level. EC really can't be done by anything less than a group in at least 50/50 columi/rakata (unless you're really on top of things), and is especially true for a PUG.
I think this is not true. You can beat anything via GF, you just need proper setup I learned that lesson from doing LI hm via GF. It works like this:

1) get random Party
2) check gear of party members
3) vote to kick all that have insufficient gear
4) repeat 1) through 3) until you have proper party

Solving the coordination problem:

Nearly any serious player has either Vent, Mumble or TS, most have all 3. No big deal to invite all key roles (tanks, heals) and make sure the rest knows the strats via chat.

And an easy way to facilitate things even more would be to add a minimum gear requirement to all hms and ops in GF. So people can easily see if their gear is up to the job or not. It would be a really easy fix.

ToremOde's Avatar


ToremOde
09.25.2012 , 06:29 PM | #18
I agree with all your points, save for this one:

Quote: Originally Posted by Sithcreep View Post
Solving the coordination problem:

Nearly any serious player has either Vent, Mumble or TS, most have all 3. No big deal to invite all key roles (tanks, heals) and make sure the rest knows the strats via chat.
That assumption is wrong.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.25.2012 , 06:31 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sithcreep View Post
...

1) get random Party
2) check gear of party members
3) vote to kick all that have insufficient gear
4) repeat 1) through 3) until you have proper party

...
I'm glad you've had success doing HM LI with the group finder this way. My personal experience has been otherwise. Every failed attempt with a pug included a group that all had a minimum of Columi/Rakata/Black Hole. One notable instance included a group that was mostly black hole yet couldn't pass LR-5.

I've since modified my expectations to meet good players through T1 group finder FPs and add them to my friends list and invite them to LI when they're online. This has been a roaring success, thus my opinion about skill being so much more important than gear.

Which is why I still believe that adding a gear check for L2 ops or HM ops won't solve the problem. And that unlocking ops by completing previous ones would have better results overall.

wolfmith's Avatar


wolfmith
09.26.2012 , 07:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We do have plans to make more Operations available in the group finder in the future, but (as others have mentioned) we do want to avoid sending groups into content that might be too challenging (due to the players being undergeared or less organized). This recent post in response to whether Terror from Beyond would be in the Group Finder has some relevant info:

why don't you simply create a overall gear rating (you already have a rating for single pieces) and use it as a minimum requirement for people to queue for Ops ? then people would know when it's advisable to queue for those Ops and what they need to reach it.
Slancerk | Wolfmith
Kyrar Kote Legions Of Lettow
Proud PvP Player -
981h of playtime (26/05) powered by ASUS ROG G74SX