Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New L50; no idea what I'm doing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
New L50; no idea what I'm doing

happysister
09.16.2012 , 12:42 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
You can buy gear and modifications with daily commendations. The mods are slightly better than what comes in the recruit gear, but hardly worth the effort to replace most of them. The implants/earpieces for daily commendations are pretty good but expensive (IIRC you can get all of them with daily comms)
don't forget the relics you can buy with 200 daily coms. those are nice to grab too if you don't mind grinding for them.
Lorhin - SS/DF Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel
<Fortitude>

Darth_Taral
10.01.2012 , 10:23 AM | #12
Hi guys,

First off, thanks for helping with the questions above.

I've got another one. I'm a Juggernaut, tank-spec'd. I've been earning commendations and want to buy gear, but I'm confused about where.

I noticed on the fleet that there are four clusters of vendors, each of which contains a vendor for Tionese, Columni, Rakata, Black Hole/Campaign, and a higher one (Dread Guard and one more, I think). I also noticed that one of the clusters all sells things with Willpower, and another cluster all Cunning, etc.

As a Juggernaut, I went to the one that had Strength, and looked at the pieces that were higher endurance. BUT: the pieces I looked at seemed to be DPS-based. Even if the Endurance was higher than the Strength, the secondary stat choices were Power or Critical Rating (for the record, I was looking at wristguards from the Black Hole vendor).

So am I missing something? Is there another place I should go to for tank gear? Should I buy somewhere else (including from the Cunning/Willpower/Aim vendors) to get gear that has things like Shield, Surge, Defense, Absorption, etc.?

Thank you!

ShawnFish
10.01.2012 , 10:32 AM | #13
You should be able to scroll down farther and find the tank gear. It's there. I dont have a strength main stat character but I know on my sorc I have purchased columi strength gear for a companion and I remember seeing the tank gear. I almost bought the wrong kind! Ashara wears medium armor and I almost bought the strength heavy armor, so I definitely remember it being there. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Alkalinex - - 50 Powertech
Rehab'Romance - - 50 Sorc
Rehab-Romance - - 27 Gunslinger
S'olstice - - 28 Operative

haliy
10.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #14
Each cluster you are referring to are the class specific sections.

Strength - Juggernaut / Marauder
Willpower - Sorcerer / Assassin
Aim - Mercenary / Powertech
Cunning - Operative / Sniper

The same vendor you were looking at (the ones with strength) actually has 3 different sets of armor in his inventory. A dps set for marauders, a dps set for Juggernauts and a tank set for Juggernauts. Just scroll down to take a look at everything he has.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

Meepbot
10.01.2012 , 10:50 AM | #15
The gear you want is called "Columi War Leader's (Insert slot name here)" That is the one that has shield/absorb/defense rating on it, which will help with your tanking and damage mitigation. I believe the black hole equivalents are called "Bulwark's" instead of "War Leader's". On another note, some of the rakata pieces have accuracy on them, because apparently it helps with damage, which increases threat generation, according to BW. Most people just replace it though
The Shadeslayer Legacy |The Harbinger | No Guild
Bloo, 50 Sniper | Turtlestomper, 50 Merc | Beautiful-Ocean, 50 Jug | Arran, 50 Sin
Guiotine, 50 Sent | Popojoe, 50 Sage | Ericksson, 50 Scoundrel | Phoenix, 50 VG

Darth_Taral
10.01.2012 , 10:56 AM | #16
Thank you guys so much!

What I had done was gone to the Strength vendor and looked at only the ones that I could afford (I only had 31 BH Comms, and the wrist bracers are 30). There were three available: one had strength more than endurance, and the others were Power or Crit.

I know for the rest now!

Thank you guys so much!

Oggthebase
10.01.2012 , 11:11 AM | #17
Some blackhole items and even hazmat gear are poorly itemized on purpose (high endurance with dps secondary stats, accuracy on a tank piece, etc...). This is to force people to optimize their gear by buying two different blackhole/hazmat pieces and combine their mods in order to obtain the best of the best.