Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking in this game sucks

Anysao
09.20.2012 , 01:40 PM | #31
What? You don't like TOR tanking because it's hard? Seriously? Wouldn't that be a good thing?
A wise man once said (believe it or not, I am not this wise man) :"DPS is just for fun, healing is a responsibility, but tanking is a job!"
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP!That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?

I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.

CitizenFry
09.20.2012 , 01:41 PM | #32
If I fail at tanking, people just explode. If damage dealers fail at DPS, you can't really tell until enrage kicks in, and even then it can be hard to pin down which DD was the problem, or maybe it was even a tank problem! Overall it's a pretty stressful job with a low payoff.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

happysister
09.20.2012 , 02:05 PM | #33
honestly...i've never had so much tanking before in any other game. i've got a level 50 guardian, a level 50 shadow, and a level 50 powertech. all three are great fun to tank with (though my favorite has to be the guardian). i don't have a problem with getting knocked back, or stunned, or CCed in anyway. better me than the rest of my team.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

jeniyagyu
09.20.2012 , 02:14 PM | #34
My main is a 50 Shadow Tank and I find it super easy to tank. I just recently did BoI (Super Skipping Though) and did just fine, while being very ill. (I also was with 2 commando and had to solely interrupt Servins attack since Commando's don't get their interrupt until 1.4 but anyway...).

It was still super easy, even being sick. I've done raids where everyone was wasted. I know it can seem hard at first, but once you learn how to deal with certain things (dps running ahead, multiple mobs, etc) you can adjust your play style to it. It takes time, no one can be good at a new class within two seconds of playing it.
55 Shadow - 55 Sage - 55 Gunslinger
55 Assassin - 55 Sorcerer - 55 Operative - 55 Juggernaut
~Just wants to raid and have fun. Seriously, Guild Politics make me want to /wrists.~

vojinsa
09.20.2012 , 05:26 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
THERE ARE DANCING DINOSAURS IN SWTOR????!!!

I've seen dancing Trandoshans but are there actually dancing Rancors, or whatever dinosaur equivalent you are referring to??? AWESOME
there are dinosaurs on a spaceship.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

Kyriosgundam
09.20.2012 , 05:34 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Tanking in this game is excellent. I love it! Its much more challenging than DPS and I love a good challenge.

PS. I assume you are a Guardian/Jugg if you're leaping and getting KB. Get Unremitting and this problem goes away.
Tanking in this game is excellent for Shadows and Assassin's speced for Tanking, however for Guardians (and I have a tank spec'd one) it sucks. My Shadow and Assassin can take on even elite enemies at least 1 or 2 levels above them and survive and thats when I am playing solo. My Guardian cant even kill a melee based elite thats the exact same level as it is and my JK's gear is the best for its level in both armor and stats (JK currently level 16). So speaking as my main which is an Assassin yes Tanking is great in this game but for a full tank spec Guardian it sucks. I dont know about Jug since mine just recently reached lvl 10 and gained its Advanced Class so I have no opinion on them.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

Kyriosgundam
09.20.2012 , 05:43 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
What? You don't like TOR tanking because it's hard? Seriously? Wouldn't that be a good thing?
A wise man once said (believe it or not, I am not this wise man) :"DPS is just for fun, healing is a responsibility, but tanking is a job!"
I agree with that, I find it funny when either my Assassin or Shadow (Both spec'd as full Tank) are the only ones still standing and everyone else (including the healer) is dead. Tanking in any MMO is a JOB in and of itself mainly because you have to work harder and be more ADAPTABLE to not only the game content but also to the style of play of every group member as well. Its this last area that is the hardest to do and I am shure others will agree with me on this. When I have tanked for groups the reason a group fails is not solely the Tanks fault (even though blaming the tank is the first thing everyone does no matter what) but the fault of the group by NOT WORKING TOGETHER. However I have noticed that the Assassin and Shadow Tanks can generate and maintain threat focus on them much better than the Guardians or Juggernauts can.

happysister
09.20.2012 , 06:01 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyriosgundam View Post
Tanking in this game is excellent for Shadows and Assassin's speced for Tanking, however for Guardians (and I have a tank spec'd one) it sucks. My Shadow and Assassin can take on even elite enemies at least 1 or 2 levels above them and survive and thats when I am playing solo. My Guardian cant even kill a melee based elite thats the exact same level as it is and my JK's gear is the best for its level in both armor and stats (JK currently level 16). So speaking as my main which is an Assassin yes Tanking is great in this game but for a full tank spec Guardian it sucks. I dont know about Jug since mine just recently reached lvl 10 and gained its Advanced Class so I have no opinion on them.
that's because you're only level 16 (though mine never really had trouble killing elites). wait til you get higher in levels. you'll get more skills to help you survive and such. my guardian tank is level 50, also full tank specced, and it's really not that hard. i also find that while her DPS may not be up to par with my shadow tank, she can take a lot more abuse than he can. it's not her job to worry about how much damage she does anyways. that's for the DPS to worry about. her job is holding agro and taking hits, which she does wonderfully.

Kyriosgundam
09.20.2012 , 06:08 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
that's because you're only level 16 (though mine never really had trouble killing elites). wait til you get higher in levels. you'll get more skills to help you survive and such. my guardian tank is level 50, also full tank specced, and it's really not that hard. i also find that while her DPS may not be up to par with my shadow tank, she can take a lot more abuse than he can. it's not her job to worry about how much damage she does anyways. that's for the DPS to worry about. her job is holding agro and taking hits, which she does wonderfully.
I understand that but when I cant even kill the level 16 elite for the JK Story mission on Ord Mantell (on my own) and my gear is the best for its level and I still lose then something is wrong (and my Shadow and Assassin Tanks could take more punishment and deal more damage at that same level).

happysister
09.20.2012 , 06:16 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyriosgundam View Post
I understand that but when I cant even kill the level 16 elite for the JK Story mission on Ord Mantell (on my own) and my gear is the best for its level and I still lose then something is wrong (and my Shadow and Assassin Tanks could take more punishment and deal more damage at that same level).
are you talking about the one in the hidden base or that...other guy?

Spoiler

EDIT: forgot the "other guy" isn't an elite. but still, that fight was harder than the one with the elite.