Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game keeps getting error duirng patch

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game keeps getting error duirng patch
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Oddlogical
09.13.2012 , 05:42 PM | #1
I haven't played for about 2 months but I kept up my subscription because I knew I'd be back. During that interval, I installed Windows 7 64-bit and went up to 8GB of RAM.

When I started the launcher, it started to patch (I knew it would be a big patch) but then got an error. I ran the Repair scan and the launcher said it was repairing 10 files (which took several hours). Then it started patching again and gave me the same error again. I ran the Repair scan and it repaired 10 files again.

At this point I thought perhaps my OS change had damaged or corrupted some files so I did a fresh clean install of the game client from the CDs I got in my Collector's Edition. That took awhile then I started the launcher and it started to patch (something over 1.2GB) so I let it run and went to watch some TV. I check back periodically and it gets the error again. I run the repair scan and it repairs some files (it does this all night). I fell asleep waiting for it. When I woke up, it said "Repair successful" and was patching again.

It's patching really slowly, like 5% an hour. It finally gets to about 25-26% and it gets an error again. What am I doing wrong? This is a clean install of the game I'm trying to patch here! I'd really like to play the game again (especially now that I have a better OS and more RAM)! SOme help would be appreciated!

Bronholz
09.13.2012 , 05:49 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Oddlogical,

To help us investigate, please post up a copy of your most recent launcher logs within spoiler tags("[spoiler][/spoiler])

You can find your launcher logs at one of these default locations:
  • For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
Launcher logs look like this: “launcher_112610.txt

If the log is too large to fit, please post the bottom section as this is the most recent and most relevant.

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

Oddlogical
09.13.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3
here are the log files you requested:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bronholz
09.13.2012 , 10:20 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi again Oddlogical,

Thanks for providing this information.

I would like you to run a CHKDSK and Memtest86, running Memtest86 a minimum of six times. This is to check for hardware issues that might be affecting your patching process.

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

Oddlogical
09.14.2012 , 06:00 AM | #5
ChkDsk showed no problems.

I don't know exactly how to interpret the data from memtest86+ but there were entries in red so I guess that points to some kind of RAM error?

These RAM sticks are brand new (installed less than 2 weeks ago). I don't have any issues like this with any other MMO I play currently (STO, CO, GW2). Should I reinstall the four 1GB RAM sticks (the ones that came with the computer) I replaced with four 2GB to see if that makes any difference?

warriorcat
09.14.2012 , 08:12 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Oddlogical View Post

I don't know exactly how to interpret the data from memtest86+ but there were entries in red so I guess that points to some kind of RAM error?

These RAM sticks are brand new (installed less than 2 weeks ago). I don't have any issues like this with any other MMO I play currently (STO, CO, GW2). Should I reinstall the four 1GB RAM sticks (the ones that came with the computer) I replaced with four 2GB to see if that makes any difference?
replacement will only work if it is the problem however i would try it just in case memtest failed to pick up on the hardware failure
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

warriorcat
09.14.2012 , 08:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Oddlogical View Post

replacement will only work if it is the problem however i would try it just in case memtest failed to pick up on the hardware failure (double post sorry some reason it posted when i went back through pages)
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

Oddlogical
09.15.2012 , 09:24 AM | #8
I yanked all my new RAM and put the old 1GB RAM sticks back in (4 of them). Patcher finally finished patching (several GB).

When I hit PLAY, my monitor goes black and says:
Mode not Supported
H:95.3Hz
V:60.0Hz

I can hear the intro movie etc but cannot see or interact with anything. I can't ALT-ESC to desktop or even call up the Task manager (or maybe I am and cannot see it).

I do a cold restart and after the "Starting Windows" screen it says the same thing "Mode not supported". I have to restart again, hit F8 and go "Enable low res/VGA mode" to see anything. I can change resolution once i am in Windows. I start the launcher for SWTOR again. Hit PLAY and "black screen and "Mode not supported" comes back again!

Tirvaak
09.15.2012 , 09:34 AM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Oddlogical,

I'd like you to go to this folder:
  • C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\publictest \settings

In this folder you will find the client_settings, I'd like you to make sure that the lines marked Refreshrate and fullscreen are shown in this file as what I have below:
  • RefreshRate = 60
  • FullScreen = false
  • Save file and close

If these lines are not in the file then please copy them in. This will load the game up in fullscreen windowed mode and will hopefully allow you access to the game. Once you have successfully logged in you may change the settings back to your preferred.

I would also make sure that your screen resolution and refresh rate are set to the native of your monitor.

Let me know if this lets you back into the game.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Oddlogical
09.15.2012 , 11:29 PM | #10
Soon after my last post, my monitor just up and died (well, I could get it to display very low res in Safe Mode, but that's hardly "working").

I decided that it was as good a time as any to get that new monitor I've been unable to justify before now. With the new monitor (once I got it all set up and configured), I was able to get into the game (finally!).

I still want to upgrade my RAM so I will have to go "trial and error"; insering 2 RAM sticks, running memtest86+, etc until I find 8GB that work.

Thank you for the helpful posts in this thread. Hopefully, I have resolved the issues (though it through hardware replacement not setting adjustment).