Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PTS Armor Issues for tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PTS Armor Issues for tanks

Redklaw
09.13.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1
Please check out this thread, I calculated mean mitigation for a powertech in stock campaign versus stock dread guard gear. The results favor campaign gear signifigantly.

I'm running the calculations for Juggernauts and Assassins later on as well, but based on the initial numbers I saw the situation with powertechs is not a unique one (nor is this an issue unique to tanking, dps gear is probably in a worse position).

Please speak up there is a small chance we can get this changed before it hits live.

Kitru
09.13.2012 , 04:41 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Redklaw View Post
Please check out this thread, I calculated mean mitigation for a powertech in stock campaign versus stock dread guard gear. The results favor campaign gear signifigantly.
If you actually look at the armor and mods in question, it's pretty obvious *why* there is lower mean mitigation. There is gear with accuracy on it (which wasted itemization) *and* the mods/enhancements on gear tend to be the high endurance variants. As such, you're gonna see *way* bigger hp pools out of tanks in the next tier of content unless they're actively switching out mods.

The gear tweaks might actually be the developers' way of making people tweak their gear a bit more. The Campaign/BH was generally itemized pretty well (with the exception of Armoring) so that very little mod tweaking was needed. Putting "sub-optimal" mods and enhancements into gear is a reasonably easy way to force players to actually look and tweak their gear for optimal performance. Of course, whether this is viable or not is largely predicated on the availability of the mods and enhancements that you'll want to move around and, if TfB's purchase/drop paradigm is anything like EC's, it's gonna be a friggin' chore getting those mods/enhancements.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Redklaw
09.13.2012 , 04:51 PM | #3
That's one of the problems, there is a glaring lack of availability of decent tanking mods or enhancements. Find the high absorb stuff for any of us and you get a cookie.

Regardless the problem is the stock dread guard gear under-performs against stock campaign gear, with a tiny boost to TTK from a bit more eHP. I posted a spreadsheet analyzing TTK's based on the gear sets.

There is an error in my calculations, but it was applied to ALL the data involved, I'l fix it later, but kudos to whoever finds it first heh.

Dhariq
09.14.2012 , 02:06 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
The gear tweaks might actually be the developers' way of making people tweak their gear a bit more. The Campaign/BH was generally itemized pretty well (with the exception of Armoring) so that very little mod tweaking was needed. Putting "sub-optimal" mods and enhancements into gear is a reasonably easy way to force players to actually look and tweak their gear for optimal performance.
Heh, wishful thinking. Look the the official reply... they are simply clueless about the mechanics of the game again. Which is so funny after how they agreed to that Rakata were bad and that they would sharpen up. They did, which became Campaign. I suppose they fired the guy who knew how the game works that helped out on that set.
But it could have been what you said... but to give them the benefit of a doubt has proven to be wrong most times and yet again it was.

Quote: Originally Posted by Redklaw View Post
There is an error in my calculations, but it was applied to ALL the data involved, I'l fix it later, but kudos to whoever finds it first heh.
I did not check your calculations. I just did my own and compared with your conclusion and it is spot on anyway no matter what.

Kitru
09.14.2012 , 03:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dhariq View Post
Heh, wishful thinking. Look the the official reply... they are simply clueless about the mechanics of the game again.
I think it's less cluelessness and more a problem finding the painfully delicate balance between offering gear that is effective off the bat and providing the opportunity for that gear to be tweaked to become appreciably better by devoting some level of effort into the optimization. If all of the gear was completely or near optimal right out of the box, then the customization would have negligible import (this was the problem that I saw with BH/Campaign gear; the only changes needs are some tweaks to the armoring and, even then, it's not a major change in overall effect). If all of the gear requires major customization to be effective (which is what the problem with Rakata gear was and it looks like Dread gear *will* be) then the gear itself means little to nothing beyond the one mod within it that you actually want to salvage (armoring/hilt, for example).

It's a difficult balance to maintain, as evidenced by every game I have ever played and the massive argument that occurs within optimization discussion soon after release of new content, made even more complicated by the highly customizable nature of gear in TOR (moreso than almost any other game I've played with that uses the same fundamental gearing system). If you want gear to be amazing right when you get, you're pretty much gonna have to suffer through the boredom inherent in not having fun with gear customization.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Dhariq
09.17.2012 , 02:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
I think it's less cluelessness and more a problem finding the painfully delicate balance between offering gear that is effective off the bat and providing the opportunity for that gear to be tweaked to become appreciably better by devoting some level of effort into the optimization.
Did you read the official reply by the way? They clearly state the reason and well...