Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can bioware fix FPS issues with high end GPU/CPUs? Guessing no.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Can bioware fix FPS issues with high end GPU/CPUs? Guessing no.

Slayeromen
09.12.2012 , 05:39 PM | #1
Ati Radeon HD 6850 (which gives awesome graphics and fps on every other game on the market except this one..)
AMD 3.4gHz cpu (4 core, which is apparently a problem for swtor, cause you know its a good computer part)
8 GB (2 x 4g) ddr3 1600

I built this computer after suffering through months of playing on a laptop with low settings and 5-20 fps on fleet, in pvp or ops. To my dismay, this new set up is no better than my laptop. I have changed settings, messed with my cpu, gpu settings (even overclocked to 3.8 for awhile seeing if that made a difference... It didn't).

I have scoured these forums, and others looking for a magic cure but the general concern seems to be that Bioware screwed up and used the HERO engine which is incompatable with most multi cored processors. Or that Bioware refuses to create a patch which will make the game work with high end gpus.. cause hey, we already paid right guys? There are myraids of "fixes" out there, all of which seem to have limited affect, all of which are not necessary for most other MMOs out currently. Wait! you mean software companies actually build a product which will respond to better hardware without having to tweak every little thing? WHAT! thats insane? Its almost like there is companies out there that actually care what their customers think of their gameplay.. strange.

Regardless. Here is my dxdiag.
Spoiler

I am tired of being a sucker and paying for this 10-30 fps game play while others are enjoying regular to great fps gameplay (just imagine!) and good customer support. So go ahead, tell me how i need to tweak this or that, or how its ATIs fault.. we all really know its you bioware. Eventually you will have to come out and say "we screwed up and we dont know how to fix it" but im guessing by then there wont be many people listening. /RANT

ItsToof
09.12.2012 , 07:04 PM | #2
Can I necro the HORRID FPS thread? because after 6 months of being away, coming back, and the performance is just as bad as it was during release sais a lot.

I suppose the people that left this game were a lot more than the 5% they predicted.
My specs:
Low spec, bro

MightyVittey
09.12.2012 , 07:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slayeromen View Post
Ati Radeon HD 6850 (which gives awesome graphics and fps on every other game on the market except this one..)
AMD 3.4gHz cpu (4 core, which is apparently a problem for swtor, cause you know its a good computer part)
8 GB (2 x 4g) ddr3 1600

I built this computer after suffering through months of playing on a laptop with low settings and 5-20 fps on fleet, in pvp or ops. To my dismay, this new set up is no better than my laptop. I have changed settings, messed with my cpu, gpu settings (even overclocked to 3.8 for awhile seeing if that made a difference... It didn't).

I have scoured these forums, and others looking for a magic cure but the general concern seems to be that Bioware screwed up and used the HERO engine which is incompatable with most multi cored processors. Or that Bioware refuses to create a patch which will make the game work with high end gpus.. cause hey, we already paid right guys? There are myraids of "fixes" out there, all of which seem to have limited affect, all of which are not necessary for most other MMOs out currently. Wait! you mean software companies actually build a product which will respond to better hardware without having to tweak every little thing? WHAT! thats insane? Its almost like there is companies out there that actually care what their customers think of their gameplay.. strange.

Regardless. Here is my dxdiag.
Spoiler

I am tired of being a sucker and paying for this 10-30 fps game play while others are enjoying regular to great fps gameplay (just imagine!) and good customer support. So go ahead, tell me how i need to tweak this or that, or how its ATIs fault.. we all really know its you bioware. Eventually you will have to come out and say "we screwed up and we dont know how to fix it" but im guessing by then there wont be many people listening. /RANT
Hmmm, this started happening when i upgraded my driver/ccc to 12.8, trying going back to 12.6... you can easily tell this is the Video card.
Alienware Aurora R3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Maxxed out, 150-200 FPS (without vsync)

Rogoo
09.12.2012 , 08:44 PM | #4
8 GB (2 x 4g) ddr3 1600
Hate to break it for you bro but Radeon 6850 is by no means a high-end GPU. Same applies to your CPU.

It's mid-range at best.

That being said, SWTOR is a rather terribly optimized game.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

ItsToof
09.12.2012 , 11:10 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogoo View Post
Hate to break it for you bro but Radeon 6850 is by no means a high-end GPU. Same applies to your CPU.

It's mid-range at best.

More that than anything else
My specs:
Low spec, bro

bliapis
09.13.2012 , 03:38 AM | #6
tbh MY perfomance has gone much better. I can now enable high AA within the game without any noticable slowdowns at all, while a month ago or so it was next to impossible.

Still whereas GW2 will pit 100 ppl in the screen and still be between 15-25fps (on high end systems), SWTOR is nowhere close
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

Slayeromen
09.13.2012 , 06:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogoo View Post

It's mid-range at best.

Alright so not really high end but damn better than i had, and a ton more than should be needed to give decent FPS in an mmo. Whats your set up and does it give you good FPS? There are a few people with Nvidia cards, and much better systems than mine that have reported decent FPS but by no means great. 50-70 range top in pvp etc.

randomballoon
09.13.2012 , 08:46 PM | #8
I'm willing to bet it's your processor. I had one pretty close to your's and recently updated it to an i5-3750k and it made a huge difference. In-game show your FPS by pressing ctrl + F and look at the color. If it's red, that means your FPS is limited by your CPU; if it's green, then you're GPU bound.

Rogoo
09.13.2012 , 08:53 PM | #9
Alright so not really high end but damn better than i had, and a ton more than should be needed to give decent FPS in an mmo. Whats your set up and does it give you good FPS? There are a few people with Nvidia cards, and much better systems than mine that have reported decent FPS but by no means great. 50-70 range top in pvp etc.
Phenom X6 @ 3.6, 2 x 6870, 16 GB RAM (so ramdisk is a go).

I get like 15-20 frames per second at fleet in the crowded areas, 35-110 fps when questing (depending if outdoors or indoors), ~25-40 fps at warzones and unplayable framerates when open world pvp happens. Max settings.

Everytime there are players around, the engine craps on itself. It's really, really bad.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Varnast
09.13.2012 , 08:59 PM | #10
Many software companies have deals with hardware companies making "difficult" software on purpose just to lead people upgrade or get new systems. I hope it's not the case here.

That said, I have a 3 years old laptop with Core 2 Duo at 2.53Hz and NVidia GT 240M 1GB VRAM and 4GB RAM and I get 40-55 fps outdoors with settings at medium-high.
Vekton :: Sith Assassin ::: Varnast :: Sith Marauder
Sydron :: Sith Juggernaut ::: Nareith :: Sniper
Krimsyn :: Mercenary ::: Budun :: Gunslinger

The Dac Legacy