Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to agent

Darth_Kopecz
09.11.2012 , 12:06 PM | #1
Hey so I've decided it's time for an alt and I've heared that the agent story is the best so just wanted to communities opinion on some things.
First off male of female agent, which do you think the story was built around and which is overall more enjoyable while lvling as far as story
Second is operative or sniper
How does op dps work exactly
I'm not too interested in healing
As far as sniper I'm not really much of a ranged type of person and I heard op is more like a rogue were sniper is just pure stand back and dps kinda thing
Which do you guys think is more fun

chuixupu
09.11.2012 , 12:33 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Kopecz View Post
First off male of female agent, which do you think the story was built around and which is overall more enjoyable while lvling as far as story
Hard to say, seems like people enjoy both equally. Lots of guys here love the female, lots of ladies here enjoy the male. And vice versa.

Quote:
Second is operative or sniper. How does op dps work exactly
As far as sniper I'm not really much of a ranged type of person and I heard op is more like a rogue were sniper is just pure stand back and dps kinda thing
I've played both....honestly I think operatives shine most as healers at the moment. But they fine for dps if you like the playstyle. Honestly, going in to this game I hated ranged and loved melee. This game totally flipped around my opinion. It's mostly because of the design of the instances, they seem to favor ranged. That could change in the future.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Darth_Kopecz
09.11.2012 , 12:52 PM | #3
Awesome Ty for your answer
And as far as the gender I'm just wondering what kinda character the male acts like towards others and the story.
I've heated it's a lot like James bond or the guy from 24
As opposed to the female character, I'm wondering what kinda character the female is as far as personality
Right now I'm leaning on male just cause it'll be SICK to play a space James bond
Unless someone tells me how awesome the female story is as opposed to male
I want opinions people keep em coming!!

Projawa
09.11.2012 , 01:01 PM | #4
Hey so I've decided it's time for an alt and I've heared that the agent story is the best so just wanted to communities opinion on some things.
The story works well for both genders though you do get more flirt options as the male. And you get romance options with 2 companions rather than just 1 for the female. Both voice actors are excellent. As a guy I'm not alone in preferring the female voiceover which is super sexy

Melee stealth as operative or ranged dps as sniper, take your pick. I preferred sniper which was a breeze to level, though stealthing past mobs is always nice. If you intend to do mostly PVE endgame with your agent and you don't want to heal go with sniper- most encounters favor ranged dps. As ranged you also don't worry as much on how well the tank positions or kites the boss.

Darth_Kopecz
09.11.2012 , 02:20 PM | #5
Awesome and again thank you
Anyone else got any feedback?
I wanna know what the agent community thinks as a whole c'mon people!!!
Although the previous poster pretty much answered my questions I just want more thoughts on the subject

Gronkaarr
09.11.2012 , 02:40 PM | #6
Operative dps. I leveled with concealment spec and it was fun as hell. but several changes (nerfs) to the concealment spec made it less viable for level 50 PVE. so I ended up having to switch to healer to be a fully contributing member in a raid. operative has good burst dps when you can use your opener from stealth, but once that burst rotation has been expended you will be challenged to sustain dps at the same level that other dps classes can.

concealment operative can still be good in PVP although some people will argue that even in PVP we are disadvantaged vs other dps classes. of course you will hear some whining from people saying operatives are overpowered due to the high burst they can dish out, but they fail to realize that operatives' opportunities to do that burst are really limited. snipers can do really well in PVE raids or in PVP. they just dish out high dps in any situation

i would say operative is more versatile for sure, but in terms of being a sought after advanced class for either PVP or PVE in a dps role, sniper is in much higher demand. operative heals are really good though, and its easy to find groups for PVE or PVP

TLDR: operative dps is fun but doesn't stack up to other dps classes so end game will be hard to get groups. operative heals and sniper dps are both awesome for nearly any situation

Mutive
09.12.2012 , 05:34 AM | #7
1. Story was built around male agent. There are more flirts, more one night stands, and some significant plot points that make more sense as m!agent. With that said, both play pretty well, and both are fun. If you don't care at all between romance options, looks, and voice actors, I'd go male. But if you have any preference based on other factors, go where your preference takes you.

2. I enjoyed leveling as far as story, but PVP and PVE are also perfectly fine choices.

3. If you're not interested in healing, I'd probably go sniper. Operative damage is well known to be not so great. (Although I've only played a sniper and a healing operative.) But operatives can do enough melee damage that they're fine if you don't want to play one in end game PVE. (Snipers, on the other hand, kill crazy fast.) Also, operatives have stealth, which can really, really speed up questing. So if you like melee damage, go that way. Just be warned that your abilities to play end game PVE with that character are limited unless they un-nerf them.

POPsi
09.12.2012 , 06:33 AM | #8
Agent in general is pretty fun to play I'd say- storywise as well. Endgame wise:

Operative:

- healers are fine, if you want to go that way
- concealment/lethality is not that welcome in raids as others pointed out above
- for mostly solo play I'd say again it's pretty much ok with all specs.
- you can avoid an awful lot of unnecessary mob killing during questing, with your invisibility and sleep dart.

Sniper:

- good sustained dps but generally I prefer operatives even with its flaws.
- portable cover is a big +
- good range

chuixupu
09.12.2012 , 01:46 PM | #9
I just want to say again that operative dps gets a worse rap than they really are. We brought one in to our EC hard mode the other night, the dude was fine. I've actually been seeing more dps operatives pop up lately.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

CNS_Sarajevo
09.15.2012 , 09:23 AM | #10
Never tried female. Male was a blast. I would think the game's flexible enough for both.

I preferred operative but I like being in the middle of the mayhem.

How does op dps work exactly - "tactical advantage" is your friend. When you stab someone you get stronger attacks or buffs that boost your energy, which allow you to use your heavier attacks. Corrosive dart is a fun DOT

"I'm not too interested in healing" - me neither, that's why I picked the stealth tree. You'll love Dr. Lokin, he's your healer. Sadly, you don't get him until much later in the game.

The agent story is amazing. After that I loved sneaking past the enemy, and rolling disrupts to stop their heavy attacks -- Debilitate, Flash Bang, and Distract. My craft skill was Cybertech, which is good but not great -- armor and mods are useful but they're boring. I think the best thing about Cybertech for the agent is the grenades, especially the seismic grenade, which is another way to disrupt an enemy attack.