Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Afterimages: Reign of Night

irishfino
12.07.2012 , 05:56 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Why, look! I wrote something! Imagine that...
“You want nasty?” he snapped. “How’s this: I wouldn’t wish a woman like you on my worst enemy, you manipulative, heartless b*tch.”
[...]
“You’re not a lady,” Andronikos said darkly. “You’re a whore. And I’ll be damned if I fall for your tricks again.” He turned and strode out of the room.
Yeeeeeeeeees!!
It's so true... so sadly true. [sigh of pining]
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

MilaniGrey
12.07.2012 , 05:57 PM | #22
Yep, he called it. She's a whore.

Hey, don't talk about Nox like -- mff!

Shut up, that's not even the same Nox.
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Vesaniae
03.22.2013 , 01:25 PM | #23
Well...I've pretty much given up on this thread. No real inspiration going on here. So I'm just going to skip all the random sundry nonsense and cut right to the part that this was leading up to, in an extra-special long episode.

I dedicate this piece to irishfino, because this whole Nox/Ravage thing is kinda her fault.

7. In Which Vesaniae Grows Bored and Skips Straight to the Good Stuff
Kaas City, Dromund Kaas
16 ATC

“I’m surprised to see you in the Citadel at this hour,” A’tro said dryly as Nox encountered her in a corridor. “Aren’t you usually out enjoying yourself this time of night?”

“Oh, I’m going to be enjoying myself, all right,” Nox said with a smirk. “I have an appointment with Ravage.”

A’tro raised a brow-ridge. “Really? A date?”

“It’s not a date,” Nox said haughtily. “It is an appointment. We are to meet on the roof of the Citadel, and there we will settle our differences once and for all.”

A’tro shook her head. “You honestly expect me to believe that Ravage challenged you to a duel?”

“I wouldn’t have believed it either, but it happened.” Nox grinned. “I’m looking forward to it.”

“Nox,” A’tro said exasperatedly, “you do realize that he’s not going to play fair?”

“I should expect nothing less. After all, I won’t either.”

A’tro covered her face with her palm. “You’re both going to get yourselves killed, and then the Council will be down two members, and it will be hell to find people competent enough to replace you.”

“Nonsense. The Council will only be down one member, and Ravage has plenty of apprentices who can replace him. Some of them are competent.”

“Not as competent as he is.”

“Please,” Nox said contemptuously. “There are gundarks more competent than Ravage.”

“You are allowing your dislike of him to interfere with your judgment.”

“I know my own strength, thank you very much. And I know that I can crush him. Now if you’ll excuse me, I really must be on my way to do just that.” Nox brushed past A’tro and continued down the hall.

“If you do something stupid and die, I won’t miss you!” A’tro shouted after her.

Nox shook her head. A’tro was overreacting. She had the situation well in hand.

After a few minutes of brisk walking and an elevator trip, she arrived on the roof of the Citadel. The elevator emerged into a small, cube-shaped building perched atop large, flat roof. Exiting the elevator, she patted her lightsaber to reassure herself, took a deep breath, then quietly opened the door and sneaked out onto the rooftop.

Upon first glance, Ravage was nowhere in sight. There were a few lights illuminating the space, which was good, because the sky was completely obscured by roiling dark clouds. It was probably going to rain. If it rained heavily enough, it would interfere with her lightsaber’s ability to function. Even worse, it would ruin her hair.

“You’re on time,” Ravage’s voice said dryly.

Nox whirled in the direction of the sound to see him leaning against the duracrete base of one of the Citadel’s immense lightning rods. “Punctuality is one of my virtues.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You have virtues?”

“You wound me,” she declared. “Of course I do.”

“Funny, I hadn’t noticed.”

“You were looking?”

“Only when I was forced to turn my eyes in your general direction.”

“And I suppose you were laid up in bed with cold compresses over your eyes for a week afterwards?” Nox asked dryly.

“It was terribly traumatic. If only I could scour the images from my mind.”

Nox pouted at him. “Are you saying I’m ugly?”

“Stars, you’re touchy,” Ravage muttered.

She laid a dramatic hand over her heart. “You’re wounding me again. It hurts.”

“Good.”

“Have you no concern for my suffering?” she demanded, fluttering her eyelashes.

“That really doesn’t work at this range, you know.”

Nox stopped fluttering.

“Not that it would work on me anyway,” Ravage added hastily. “Besides, I invited you here to kill you, and I intend to follow through.”

“What part of ‘Nox is ridiculously powerful’ do you not understand?” she inquired. “Seriously, I’m curious.”

“How about the part where I don’t give a damn?”

“Ah,” Nox said thoughtfully. “That works, I suppose. Still…consider yourself warned.”

Ravage’s response was rendered inaudible by a deafening thunderclap.

“Great,” Nox muttered, her ears ringing, as she felt the impact of several raindrops. “This is going to do wonders for my outfit, just wonders…”

“You look rather disgruntled, Nox,” Ravage noted. “And here I would have thought that this weather would appeal to your sense of drama.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Well, when you put it that way…”

She reached out to the Force, feeling the storm, digging mental fingers into the dormant energy. It was just like her: chaotic, capricious, unable to be mastered—

Everything went white. Nox dimly felt herself be lifted off her feet by an unseen force, then crashed to the ground.

Oops, she thought as a wave of darkness swallowed her.

A moment later, the wave subsided, and she heard Ravage’s voice. “Nox?”

Footsteps and his Force presence approached. She kept very still with her eyes closed as she heard the knee plates on his boots clank against the ground.

“Damn it, Nox,” Ravage said exasperatedly. Wait, was that a note of concern in his voice? “You would get yourself hit by lightning before the fight even started…”

She was lying on her side, facing away from him. She felt him start to turn her over.

The energy that she had drawn in from the lightning sizzled through her veins. It was simplicity itself to expel it violently outward. Ravage’s Force presence suddenly moved very rapidly to a point several meters away that she suspected coincided with the location of the cube housing the elevator. Chucking softly to herself, Nox rose to her feet, brushing herself off—a futile effort, thanks to the rain that was starting to fall with irksome steadiness, but one had to maintain some semblance of dignity.

She turned to see Ravage extricating himself from a vaguely Ravage-ish lump that had been squashed against the side of the cube. He straightened his cloak and regarded her with an expression of combined admiration and irritation.

“Surprise,” Nox said cheerily.

Ravage glared. “How clever of you.”

Nox cracked her knuckles. “So, now that I’m nice and warmed up, shall we fight?”

A small, dark grin crossed Ravage’s face. “I was hoping you would say that.” He drew his sabers and leaped for her.

She’d been expecting that, and stopped his charge in midair with a blast of lightning. He dropped lightly to the ground, holding his blades crossed in front of him to catch the energies streaming from her fingertips.

“You’re terribly predictable, you know,” she said dryly.

“So are you.”

“Just because you were expecting this doesn’t mean you can counter it,” Nox pointed out. She winked at him. “I can keep going all night.”

Ravage smirked. “Me too.”

He moved away from the lightning and up behind her with blinding speed that was clearly enhanced by the Force. As he moved to impale her, Nox ducked and rolled forward, letting his lightsabers pass harmlessly above her. She quickly rolled to her feet and turned around.

“Too slow!” she taunted.

Ravage casually flourished his blades. “Why don’t you stop hiding behind that lightning and fight me like a Sith?”

“But I am fighting you like a Sith.”

He rolled his eyes. “Admit it, you’re terrible with that fancy saber of yours. Why do you even carry a double-bladed if you can barely use it?”

“It’s an heirloom!” Nox said indignantly.

“You are strange.”

She stuck her tongue out at him.

Ravage shook his head. “Strange.” He casually threw one lightsaber in her direction.

Nox dodged the blade and grabbed the weapon by the hilt before it could return to its master. “Hah! We’ll see who’s terrible with a lightsaber now!”

His eyes widened. “You’re not serious—“

Nox charged.

It had been a while since she had actually fought with a single-bladed weapon, but the old training never really went away. The remembered motions came back to her in an instant and she pressed forward, battering away at a startled Ravage’s defenses.

“All right, maybe I didn’t give you quite enough credit,” he said grudgingly as he blocked her flurry of attacks. “But you’re wielding that thing like a vibrosword. The lightsaber—” he suddenly pressed the offensive, “—is an elegant weapon.” With a single smooth motion, he disarmed her. “And it should be treated with respect.”

Hmm, maybe I need practice after all. Nox frowned at him. “You just threw away one of your ‘elegant weapons.’”

“It didn’t go over the edge,” he said, shrugging. “I’ll pick it up after I kill you.”

Nox sighed. “Ravage, if I had a rock for every time you’ve said you’re going to kill me, I would be able to bury this building. Face it; it’s not going to happen.”

He swung. She skipped backwards. He advanced.

“Just stand still, dammit!” he snapped.

Her response came in the form of lightning.

“Irksome little harlot,” Ravage muttered, clearly having a harder time blocking the energies with only one saber.

Nox drew herself up. “Who are you calling little?” she demanded.

“Has anyone ever told you that you take offense to the most bizarre things?”

“I’m five foot eight!” Nox huffed. She stopped channeling the lightning to plump up her bosom. “Nothing little here, thank you very much.”

Ravage appeared rather distracted for a moment, then shook himself and started towards her, lightsaber at the ready. “You’ve been a thorn in my side ever since you killed Thanaton. I’m sick to death of your antics and your attitude.”

Nox gave him her coldest stare. “And I am thoroughly weary of your ego and your belligerence.”

They locked eyes for a long moment, neither of them paying any heed to the thickening rainfall.

“Game over,” Nox whispered.

Ravage smiled. She had never seen him smile like that before. It was a calm, cool smile that bespoke an air of complete and utter ruthlessness, and in spite of herself Nox felt a chill. “My thoughts exactly.”

There was a thunderclap as loud as the first, and the intensity of the downpour increased significantly. Ravage’s lightsaber sputtered, then went out. He dropped the faintly smoking handle with a curse.

Nox laughed. “Looks like today is not your lucky day.”

In the Force, Ravage was so furious that she thought he might burst into flames. “I hate you,” he snarled through gritted teeth.

“Does the power come in handy, or do you just prefer to stew?” she inquired lightly.

“Hate. You,” Ravage repeated. He took a step towards her, then another.

Nox held her ground, giving him her most enigmatic smile.

“Damn it all,” Ravage muttered, seething. “Why can’t you just go away?”

He took one last step forward, his hands darting out. She moved to block an attack on her throat; instead, his arms went around her waist, drawing her against him with crushing force.

“Admit it,” Nox murmured. “You don’t want me to go away, do you?”

“Stars, no,” Ravage breathed, his eyes beginning to smolder with something other than hatred.

She was not sure who kissed the other first. She did know that once she started, she had no desire to stop.

Cold water dripping on her bare leg startled Nox from her doze.

She was lounging back under the lip of the elevator cube’s roof with her legs stretched out into the open. More water dripped down from the roof onto her thigh. Her stockings were pushed down around her knees. That was odd.

She started to lean forward to adjust them, then looked down and noticed the arm around her waist. Then she remembered that she had been resting on Ravage’s lap.

Nox’s eyes widened. Oh, my. That actually happened.

She tried to carefully move his arm so she could get up and sneak away, but the Force was not with her and he stirred at her touch.

“Mm,” he murmured. “Wha—Nox?!

“It’s me,” she said dryly.

“Oh, stars,” Ravage muttered, quickly releasing her from his hold and squirming away.

Nox stood up and took several steps away, turning her back on him. It was still dark, but the rain had stopped. She adjusted her clothing until she was somewhat presentable, pulling up her stockings and re-doing the fastenings on her dress. Behind her, she could hear him doing the same.

“Did we—“ he started.

“Yes.”

“So it wasn’t just a dream,” Ravage sighed. “That’s just wonderful.”

Nox turned around to face him. “So…now what?”

“I would prefer to forget that this ever happened,” Ravage said grimly.

She was unable to resist the urge to pout at him. “Was it that bad? I thought you enjoyed yourself.”

That same little smirk that had appeared on his face at the beginning of their fight made a return. “I can certainly see why men flock like bees to your flower.”

Nox chuckled. “And just how long have you been waiting for a chance to join the ranks, hmm?”

To her extreme amusement, Ravage blushed faintly. “Longer than I care to admit.”

Nox sighed. “So A’tro was right. I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Neither of us will, if anyone else finds out about this.”

“Then we make sure no one finds out,” Nox said determinedly.

Ravage nodded. “We go about our business as usual. No one needs to know what really happened up here.”

Nox bit her lip. “I don’t know…”

Ravage frowned. “What?”

She gave him her most sultry smile. “Dawn is still a few hours away, and your quarters aren’t far.”

“How do you know where my quarters are?” Ravage demanded suspiciously.

Nox rolled her eyes. “It’s hardly a secret. Besides, I got Enadya to tell me.”

“And then you killed her,” Ravage said accusingly. “I’m still angry about that. She was my favorite apprentice.”

“And not as good in bed as me, I’ll bet,” Nox said smugly.

“I wouldn’t exactly consider this an optimal locale for the measuring of sexual prowess,” Ravage said dryly.

“Want to take me somewhere that is?” Nox asked, putting on her most charming expression.

Ravage hesitated for a moment. Then his expression turned to one of amused resignation, and he strode forward and offered her his arm. “Perhaps you’d care to join me in my chambers, my lady?”

“Ooh, the gentleman angle,” Nox murmured, taking his arm and snuggling up against his side. “I like it.”

He leaned over and lightly kissed her cheek. “I can be a gentleman.” He nipped at her ear. “When I feel like it.”

“So, does this mean we’re enemies with benefits?” Nox inquired as they started towards the door into the elevator cube. “Is that even a thing?”

Ravage shrugged. “It is now.”

And there you have it, my friends.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
03.22.2013 , 01:37 PM | #24
Fan. Freaking. Tastic.

“Have you no concern for my suffering?” she demanded, fluttering her eyelashes.

“That really doesn’t work at this range, you know.”

Nox stopped fluttering.
Nox drew herself up. “Who are you calling little?” she demanded.

“Has anyone ever told you that you take offense to the most bizarre things?”

“I’m five foot eight!” Nox huffed. She stopped channeling the lightning to plump up her bosom. “Nothing little here, thank you very much.”

Ravage appeared rather distracted for a moment, then shook himself and started towards her, lightsaber at the ready.
“So, does this mean we’re enemies with benefits?” Nox inquired as they started towards the door into the elevator cube. “Is that even a thing?”

Ravage shrugged. “It is now.”
These are the bits that had me laughing loudest. Really, this is a hilarious chapter all around. Well done!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

irishfino
03.22.2013 , 02:01 PM | #25
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

MY DAY IS COMPLETE!

THE AUTO CAPS LOCK FEATURE WILL UNCAPS THIS BUT THIS WAS IN ALL CAPS!! ALL CAPS!!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

[runs away giggling madly]
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

kabeone
03.22.2013 , 02:11 PM | #26
Awesome.

That is all.