Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Whos the bad guys?


Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.16.2012 , 03:59 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
American Graffiti?
THX-1138?
Never seen those. I've only seen Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Red Tails from him. And I didn't say I saw all of his movies. I said that I've liked all of the movies that I've seen from him.
Added Chapter 40 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Bird_of_Thunder's Avatar


Bird_of_Thunder
09.16.2012 , 04:16 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Republic.

Because I play Imp toons.
This right here
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
09.16.2012 , 05:07 PM | #83
Imperials are the bad guys. Think of them like the oppressive WW2 nazis, which is how George Lucas thought of them. The common german citizen didn't really see it right away, they were well fed, and had jobs during much of the war. Those in power are evil though.

Spoiler


Yeah, the empire is no friend to anyone, including their own citizens.

Fyurii's Avatar


Fyurii
09.16.2012 , 06:21 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Indiana Jones
Wasn't directed by him, and Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.
Haven't seen Red Tails, but he wasn't sole director on that (only some post production reshoots), and it hasn't exactly received good reviews, but I can't provide an opinon on it yet.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
09.16.2012 , 07:15 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.
1. Way to miss the intentional homage Lucas and Spielberg were making to adventure-serials of the 30's and the sci-fi-serials of the 50's.

2. How come completley unrealistic aliens are somehow worse for Indiana Jones than the completley unrealistic fake religious stuff?

3. Why does no-one hate the fact Indiana Jones fights Commies instead of Nazis? Because that actually made sense given the time period and setting? Exactly like the ancient astronaut aliens do?!

I like Indy 4 but understand why some people might not like it, but seriously, have a legitimate reason for your opinion other than "It's different therefore it sucks".

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.16.2012 , 08:30 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
Wasn't directed by him, and Crystal Skull was horrible because of his input. Indie went from dealing with matters religious and supernatural, to extra-dimensional aliens.
Haven't seen Red Tails, but he wasn't sole director on that (only some post production reshoots), and it hasn't exactly received good reviews, but I can't provide an opinon on it yet.
But he was involved in production and all that good stuff. I liked the movie, it had superstitious stuff in it, but had a good explanation for why they were there. As good an explanation you can make for aliens.

I thought Red Tails was good. It doesn't really matter what reviewers say about a movie or game. It really depends on what the viewer thinks of it and I thought it was good.
Added Chapter 40 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

TheNegotiator's Avatar


TheNegotiator
09.17.2012 , 01:07 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
Not in this game, and is this game part of the lore or not? Some of the things you witness and hear on Taris, Hoth, and in particular, Belsavis, changed my opinion of the Republic. While not as evil as the Sith, still evil.
Though, to be fair, the OP does not say whether the over all lore, or just this game.
The game you play now is not part of star wars lore. In fact, there is no real star wars lore prior to Episode 1, because that is the point at which Lucas started writing. He is still responsible for approving game content (as he did with SWG), but he also get's paid....

If you don't understand how the Empire is evil you have to watch "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" and you will understand. And yes the previous poster was right about Lucas antagonists being based on Nazis...this is true for both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Bioware has fiddled with things by allowing you to play Empire characters , not necessarily a bad thing but it creates confusion among younger players. I remember back when Bioware was promoting the game, and I kept hearing "choose your side". This always sounded odd to me as I did not understand why anybody would want to play the Empire...as they were well known as the bad guys.

In fact, you only have to watch about 5 minutes of "A New Hope" before Darth Vader kills one of his officers .

Macka_M's Avatar


Macka_M
09.28.2012 , 08:23 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNegotiator View Post
The game you play now is not part of star wars lore. In fact, there is no real star wars lore prior to Episode 1, because that is the point at which Lucas started writing. He is still responsible for approving game content (as he did with SWG), but he also get's paid....

If you don't understand how the Empire is evil you have to watch "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" and you will understand. And yes the previous poster was right about Lucas antagonists being based on Nazis...this is true for both Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Bioware has fiddled with things by allowing you to play Empire characters , not necessarily a bad thing but it creates confusion among younger players. I remember back when Bioware was promoting the game, and I kept hearing "choose your side". This always sounded odd to me as I did not understand why anybody would want to play the Empire...as they were well known as the bad guys.

In fact, you only have to watch about 5 minutes of "A New Hope" before Darth Vader kills one of his officers .

This thread Is primarily discussing the empire and republic in SWTOR, so this is irrelevant
Playing as a Light side sith warrior it allows me to see how much imperials actually care for the common folk, becuase of a few evil sith you can't call the entire empire evil. The republic has complete mistrust for imperials and will backstab them before "they get backstabbed themselves" as they claim. Jedi are the worst, (I've played a consular to 50) the jedi way asks us to destroy sith because they follow a different side of the force. In the war in SWTOR, I believe the only good side are parties like the revanites who practice both side and fine the equality in between.
Warning the following parodies are extremely lame and contain a immense amount of poor editing. They should not be viewed by anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXIJftR_SU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkVJDD-ttY

OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
09.28.2012 , 10:34 PM | #89
A few Sith? Virtually every Sith ever is evil. And they run the whole Empire. It's an empire with institutionalized slavery, racism, xenophobia and warmongering. And the ruling class of force users have absolute authority and can kill and tortue anyone they please without repercussions and often do. The Jedi don't fight and destroy Sith because they follow a different philosphy of the force, they do so because the sith are evil and a threat to everyone else in the galaxy.

GreyLisa's Avatar


GreyLisa
09.29.2012 , 03:15 AM | #90
Overall the Republic tries to live after principes I consider good, while the Empire is ruled by a religous cult who favors power above everything else. But that does not make every single citizen of the Empire bad. You can easy compare it with real life nations historical and present. There are nations that at least tries to live after good values equality, freedom etc. Does that make every single citizen of that nation good? Absolutely not. Are every single citizen of a dictatorship evil? Absolutely not.
I usually play good imperial characters because I find it nice to explore what it would be to be born on that side of the fence. The difference between this sith empire and most other sith empires we seen in star wars so far is that this was not recently created by a fallen jedi. The people in the swtor empire were born into it, and have been for generations. My empire charatcers does not like everything their government are doing, but they still have love for their country and the people within it.