Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whos the bad guys?

Maaruin
09.11.2012 , 12:04 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by alricka View Post
I don't think this is always the case with SWTOR. For example, in the Sith Warrior storyline whenever I faced Jedi it was very clear to me that they were the good guys and I wasn't. When the Sith Warrior fights against rival Sith, yes, then the enemy is evil but even in this case it's evil vs evil.
I agree with Jaigen, they didn't seem like the good guys to me. Well, not all of them, but at least around half of them. Especially the one you meet near the end of Chapter one. There are some who seemed good to me, but they weren't the main focus. (You especially notice that when you play light side and they fight you nontheless.)
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Icebergy
09.11.2012 , 12:11 PM | #32
The Empire itself isn't necessarily bad, but the sith definitely are.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

OldVengeance
09.11.2012 , 12:19 PM | #33
The Sith Empire has always been a genocidal warmongering nation, even before the Great Hyperspace War (which they started). It's also worth noting that any possible Republic or Jedi war criminals from the Great Hyperspace War are long dead. While the Empire's leadership isn't, and any successors to Sith Lords back then have been carrying out identical genocidal, racist, imperialist policies as their predecessors always have. That's not exactly true with the Republic as a whole.

Frankly, I agree with alricka. The Sith Warrior was always the bad guy when confronting Jedi. Even a Lightside Warrior against the mentally unbalanced Jedi. The Jedi were still on the right side of the issue, even if they were angrier or more self righteous about it. I honestly feel whenever I quest on most Imperial Worlds that I'm doing bad things even on the neutral main quests of each planet. Balmorra, Tatooine and Taris for instance have quests about crushing local resistance to the Empire's domination.

Against the calm Jedi, (such as the Knight on Balmorra) a Lightside Sith Warrior's confrontations tended to go like this:

Jedi: Surrender.

Sith: No, you surrender.

Jedi: No.

Both: Then we fight!
Spoiler

Maaruin
09.11.2012 , 12:54 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
The Sith Empire has always been a genocidal warmongering nation, even before the Great Hyperspace War (which they started). It's also worth noting that any possible Republic or Jedi war criminals from the Great Hyperspace War are long dead. While the Empire's leadership isn't, and any successors to Sith Lords back then have been carrying out identical genocidal, racist, imperialist policies as their predecessors always have. That's not exactly true with the Republic as a whole.

Frankly, I agree with alricka. The Sith Warrior was always the bad guy when confronting Jedi. Even a Lightside Warrior against the mentally unbalanced Jedi. The Jedi were still on the right side of the issue, even if they were angrier or more self righteous about it. I honestly feel whenever I quest on most Imperial Worlds that I'm doing bad things even on the neutral main quests of each planet. Balmorra, Tatooine and Taris for instance have quests about crushing local resistance to the Empire's domination.

Spoiler
Yeah, but it is presented in a way to make the Jedi look relatively evil. I think a nice option would have been if you could make a deal with him. Something like:

Spoiler

And yes, the world quests were evil, and I especially hated Taris.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Izutah
09.11.2012 , 01:41 PM | #35
Nice to see all these replies with different views on the subject. See i honestly havnt read much on the history etc but yea as some stated before the writer has made the sith come across as bad guys whilst republic as the good

I personally think that the world is full of religions in our case its sith empire and republic (i know its technically not a religion) and so forth theres going to be wars etc though if you stop for one moment and imagine the whole entire galaxy was rule by either just the empire or just the republic there will still be somthing to fight about.

Maaruin
09.11.2012 , 02:40 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Izutah View Post
Nice to see all these replies with different views on the subject. See i honestly havnt read much on the history etc but yea as some stated before the writer has made the sith come across as bad guys whilst republic as the good

I personally think that the world is full of religions in our case its sith empire and republic (i know its technically not a religion) and so forth theres going to be wars etc though if you stop for one moment and imagine the whole entire galaxy was rule by either just the empire or just the republic there will still be somthing to fight about.
Yes, but the Republic has ways to deal with conflicts without violence, even if it doesn't work 100%. For Sith, there has to be violence, because that's the way of the Sith. They want war, and if they can't fight others, they fight themselves.
-Ajunta Pall

Alec_Fortescue
09.11.2012 , 03:23 PM | #37
Whoever is doing things you don't consider morally right is the bad guy. I found equal ammounts of corruption and "bad" deeds on either side.
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

Fyurii
09.11.2012 , 04:16 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
They really need to add more regional accents to the Imperial staff. Maybe people would be more amiable to joining the Empire if they met someone from Devon?
In that case, I demand a SW npc with a Glaswegian accent, voiced by Ford Kiernan aka "Big Man" from Chewin' the Fat.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Tatile
09.11.2012 , 04:22 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
In that case, I demand a SW npc with a Glaswegian accent, voiced by Ford Kiernan aka "Big Man" from Chewin' the Fat.
He sounds like the obligatory Chief of Security

TheNegotiator
09.11.2012 , 05:27 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It's a method of discussing morality without the inherent emotional attachment people get when you use real life examples. It's a lot easier to discuss difficult concepts when using fictional and theoretical examples than it is to use actual. I personally find the comparisons between differing moral viewpoints to be quite interesting, particularly when both consider themselves to be universal truths.
When you create your character (NOTICE I SAID WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR CHARACTER), you are told The Empire and it's citizens seek and desire "power" above all else. It also tells you they subjugate other races (practice slavery). I think it even mentions them being racists too. They are pretty much the definition of evil, but since Bioware gives you the option to play your empire character as a good guy it creates confusion. Don't confuse star wars lore with Bioware's implementation of a morality system.