Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whos the bad guys?

Tatile
09.11.2012 , 03:54 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNegotiator View Post
I read threads like this and just shake my head.
It's a method of discussing morality without the inherent emotional attachment people get when you use real life examples. It's a lot easier to discuss difficult concepts when using fictional and theoretical examples than it is to use actual. I personally find the comparisons between differing moral viewpoints to be quite interesting, particularly when both consider themselves to be universal truths.

Ameepa
09.11.2012 , 04:11 AM | #22
I bet you're next going to discuss about which side in Lord of the Rings is evil.

Tatile
09.11.2012 , 04:31 AM | #23
This is a Star Wars board, so not here

grandmthethird
09.11.2012 , 05:30 AM | #24
the "point of view" argument is stupid. this is not a point of view situation. this is a story that we are experiencing. the writer is the architect, they decide what is good and what is bad. we don't get to decide that, this is not some historical event that has been written by the winner, this is a made up event, told by a story teller, this is not our work, this is thier work and their view of good, and bad, and who is who is the correct one. (one of my fav saying) "star wars is the ultimate battle between good and evil" and if you don't know who is good and who is evil we can take one of two things from this.

1) the writer has done a bad job and not made it clear to the reader who is bad and who is good

2) you are too stupid to realize who is bad and who is good. they model the empire on natzi's and you still can't see who is sposed to be the bad guys

playing a computer game and making the choices you make, is not the same as reading a book or watching a movie, and in the game you can do things that you want to do, and that includes things that would never happen in a real star wars story. so if your saying the empire isn't evil in my story, well thats fine thats your story, but that will never be star wars canon, and the ppl here your having this discussion with will never experience your story so we really can't talk about that.

but real star wars story's its not hard to see who the bad guys are, and when they release the real canon story's for SWTOR. its not going to be some obsure thing the empire will be bad and the republic will be good
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Kylerp
09.11.2012 , 08:15 AM | #25
The uhh, the Empire isn't quite the stereotypical image of "good" with all of the Cathar Genoicide, Xenophobia, and killing within ranks. Plus they all have British accents, and everybody knows that contributes to a faction's Evil factor.

Tatile
09.11.2012 , 08:17 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kylerp View Post
The uhh, the Empire isn't quite the stereotypical image of "good" with all of the Cathar Genoicide, Xenophobia, and killing within ranks. Plus they all have British accents, and everybody knows that contributes to a faction's Evil factor.
They really need to add more regional accents to the Imperial staff. Maybe people would be more amiable to joining the Empire if they met someone from Devon?

Maaruin
09.11.2012 , 08:39 AM | #27
If anyone of these two is the bad guys, it's the Empire. Else, there are no bad guys.

You can philosophically argue that good and evil don't exist, then no one would be the bad guys.

You can argue that both sides have done some evil things and say they are equally bad.

Or you can look at what's good and what's bad in the Republic and in the Empire and come to the conclusion that overall, the Republic are the good guys with flaws and the Empire the bad guys with some positive aspects.

But you can't seriously argue for the Empire as the good guys, imho. (At least not in a way that I would believe you that it is your own opinion. You might be able to play a good Devil's Advocate.)

But in your story, your opponent will always be evil. That's something I really don't like. You can play good vs. evil and evil vs. evil, but you can't play evil vs. good (from the evil perspective).
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

alricka
09.11.2012 , 10:25 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
But in your story, your opponent will always be evil. That's something I really don't like. You can play good vs. evil and evil vs. evil, but you can't play evil vs. good (from the evil perspective).
I don't think this is always the case with SWTOR. For example, in the Sith Warrior storyline whenever I faced Jedi it was very clear to me that they were the good guys and I wasn't. When the Sith Warrior fights against rival Sith, yes, then the enemy is evil but even in this case it's evil vs evil.

Jaigen
09.11.2012 , 11:43 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by alricka View Post
I don't think this is always the case with SWTOR. For example, in the Sith Warrior storyline whenever I faced Jedi it was very clear to me that they were the good guys and I wasn't. When the Sith Warrior fights against rival Sith, yes, then the enemy is evil but even in this case it's evil vs evil.
Thats not from my experience. The jedi you meet a self righteous douchebags with a few showing a whole lot of hypocrisy. Neither side are the good guys and neither sides are the bad guys.

darthnamel
09.11.2012 , 12:00 PM | #30
But the Republic tried to genocide the remaining Sith at the end of The Great Hyperspace War. war criminals should pay. Like they are now
The Empire is out for revenge against a genocidal monster that places themselves above all others in the galaxy.
Unfortunately the Empire is also a genocidal monster too, but a cooler one with reasons.