Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whos the bad guys?

EzioMessi
12.23.2013 , 09:26 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Drox View Post
Do you have an example of the Sith committing genocide (Besides obviously trying to wipe out the Jedi for revenge) prior to the rule of 2 (Since Darth Krayt in the expanded universe is the only thing I could find, and the obvious destruction of Alderaan in ep 4)?
Want a list of maniacal genocides done by the Empire? Here you go, from this one game alone:

1. The Nar Shadaa death camp mentioned earlier
2. Darth Angral: Attempted to blow up Tatooine with the Shock Drum, successfully destroyed (Uphrades? Don't recall te name, but it was a *farming* planet). He killed billions directly, and then billions more who didn't get the food this planet produced.
3. Emperor attempted to destroy (indirectly): Belsavis, Corellia, most of the Empire and Republic (Foundry) all towards his ultimate goal of wiping out the galaxy.

EDIT:
Also, remember that maniacal Sith on DK whose orders were to curb the slave revolt? Your *light side* option in this story is to outright kill all the slaves. The Dark Side option is to torture them for a long time with some poison this crazy Sith has.

Pretty sure there's a ton of examples more.
Jung Ma - The Assassino Legacy <Dark Legion Empire>
Aetios - Level 55 Sentinel

Callaron
12.23.2013 , 10:01 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Drox View Post
Do you have an example of the Sith committing genocide (Besides obviously trying to wipe out the Jedi for revenge) prior to the rule of 2 (Since Darth Krayt in the expanded universe is the only thing I could find, and the obvious destruction of Alderaan in ep 4)?

While it's obvious the Sith have killed their fair share of people, I don't think they've ever committed the act as huge as the Jedi trying to wipe out a whole race of people (And almost succeeding). Not saying you're wrong, I just can't find anything about recorded genocide committed by Sith of this timeline.
Another in game example is shown during the Imperial quests on Nar Shaddaa - where you have to stop "The Flame", a Gen'Dai - who's whole species has been the victim of Imperial genocide; so yeah, they definitely do it.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Aeneas_Falco
12.23.2013 , 10:50 AM | #143
The Empire are the villains of TOR.

I understand that some people enjoy playing their Empire characters more, or just find the faction more fun, but arguing that they aren't the bad guys is a bit like arguing that the Orcs and Ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings are misunderstood. The Sith are very much the black hats of the Star Wars universe.

Drox
12.23.2013 , 12:54 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
Want a list of maniacal genocides done by the Empire? Here you go, from this one game alone:

1. The Nar Shadaa death camp mentioned earlier
2. Darth Angral: Attempted to blow up Tatooine with the Shock Drum, successfully destroyed (Uphrades? Don't recall te name, but it was a *farming* planet). He killed billions directly, and then billions more who didn't get the food this planet produced.
3. Emperor attempted to destroy (indirectly): Belsavis, Corellia, most of the Empire and Republic (Foundry) all towards his ultimate goal of wiping out the galaxy.

EDIT:
Also, remember that maniacal Sith on DK whose orders were to curb the slave revolt? Your *light side* option in this story is to outright kill all the slaves. The Dark Side option is to torture them for a long time with some poison this crazy Sith has.

Pretty sure there's a ton of examples more.
Well I already noted in one of my other replies, that the empire in the game is "over the top evil for plot purposes". So I'm not surprised that there are instances of genocide in the game. I just couldn't find any examples outside of the game during the time period.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
True, but the individuals who are guilty are long dead, and the current crop (and indeed most generations) are innocent of the crimes. Blaming these Jedi for crimes long past makes no sense, we don't blame the generations of Sith who lived and died innocently in exile (prior to the Sith's return) for crimes committed by their ancestors, so why do the same for the Jedi. An organisation is rarely held accountable for crimes it committed in the distant past, or the Roman Catholic Church would be in the dock for war crimes, let's just focus on who is evil in the moment.
It's true that an organisation is rarely held accountable if the crimes happened a long enough time ago. However if you finally had the power to hold that organisation responsible for its crime, you wouldn't? Even if that crime was to wipe out your planet, culture, and existence? I think the notion of "good vs bad" is as murky in the star wars realm as it is in the real world (When you actually break it down beyond light vs dark actions). Which I'll go back to what I said in my first post, it's like how people view what the US has done. It really depends on your point of view and if the end justifies the means.

errant_knight
12.23.2013 , 01:30 PM | #145
I don't think it's as simple as republic--good, empire--bad. Both do good and bad things, both contain good and bad people. While the empire's actions are generally more extreme and result in more suffering, one has to ask, is it worse to do bad things thinking they're right or to do bad things knowing they're wrong?

Xilizhra
12.23.2013 , 08:25 PM | #146
The Empire's leadership is, overall, more evil than the Republic's, but not all Imperials or even Sith are evil themselves. To me, it seems morally defensible to be a Sith and to fight for their side because you don't want to see the Republic wipe out your civilization, as they not only tried many years ago, but actually try again in-game now.

Xakthul
12.24.2013 , 04:01 AM | #147
From the viewpoints of all my characters (even the Pubs), the republic is more than a little evil. But I still shameessly shoot ever Imp I see, too.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

Abbyssion
12.24.2013 , 03:56 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
The Empire are the villains of TOR.

I understand that some people enjoy playing their Empire characters more, or just find the faction more fun, but arguing that they aren't the bad guys is a bit like arguing that the Orcs and Ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings are misunderstood. The Sith are very much the black hats of the Star Wars universe.
Hey the Orcs just want equal rights! But instead of getting a Martin Luther King they got Sauron

Xakthul
12.24.2013 , 04:25 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Abbyssion View Post
Hey the Orcs just want equal rights! But instead of getting a Martin Luther King they got Sauron
LOK' TAR OGAR!

oh, wait.....wrong orcs.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf