Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Since the Patch My Game Crashs To desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Since the Patch My Game Crashs To desktop

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

warriorcat
09.12.2012 , 04:30 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post

This is not intended to imply that this is the fault of the customer. PCs are complex beasts, and even a small deviation from the standard (when "standard" is also quite nebulous) can lead to problems. For example, it's possible that there's a small background process running that interferes with how the game runs since the patch.
*highfive i may use this quote on a million other threads well i could but i would not
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

MrRayen
09.12.2012 , 05:15 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi MrRayen,

It's something in the interplay between the game and your system, and we're trying to find the source of it. If it was purely the game, then literally everyone who plays the game would have the issue all of the time. While the people in this thread have common crashing issues starting with the patch, it's not a universal issue (broken class missions, which were fixed in a patch, are an example of a universal issue). This suggests that there is an issue which was already present on a system and has only become noticeable with the changes made in the patch. Sometimes, the problem occurs on the day of a patch, independently of the game. Also, the cause of your problem may be a common one, or it could be a variety of reasons.

This is not intended to imply that this is the fault of the customer. PCs are complex beasts, and even a small deviation from the standard (when "standard" is also quite nebulous) can lead to problems. For example, it's possible that there's a small background process running that interferes with how the game runs since the patch.

I hope this clarifies why we are troubleshooting this issue with you. We want you to have a good experience, to be able to play the game without issue. At this stage we don't know the specific reason for your crashes, and to say "this is a game issue, let us sort it" would be dishonest and dismissive.
Is it not most logical solution to revert then all engine changes in latest patch until it's properly tested?

The crashes are not there because of the content changes it's because of _engine_ changes, so just revert those. As I said is it not most logical solution?

In addition check how many rage posts you have after patch 2 weeks ago? I think around 50% of player base is affected maybe even more.

Edit:

In addition, I tried running in game mode disabling ALL background process and applications. It did not help at all. Background processes are not causing this, it's new introduced bug in the game engine. And because it happens basically everywhere it's related to some part of either communication engine or drawing engine. I doubt it's sound related cause I tried disabling all sound too.

I tried putting all settings to lowest possible and problem still happens meaning it's not related to some higher gpu tasks like antialiasing, anistropic or shadows.

It's not AMD gpu related cause it happens to nvidia users too. It's not driver related I tried with drivers 3-6 months old.

Fix you noob programmers work pls. >:

PanikSpreder
09.12.2012 , 09:11 AM | #33
Any chance that you guys also is running the game from a SSD harddrive (C), but have a standard HD (like D) hooked up, but not used while playing? I noticed that my normal HD harddrive clicked once like it was starting up again rigth after the crash.

Normally, in any other application or Windows Explorer I will get a little delay until the harddrive is back in action. Maybe that is what is causing the crash if swtor.exe isn't able to pinpoint it and hence crash (if somebody forgot an exception error/handling to file/drive management).

MrRayen
09.12.2012 , 09:25 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by PanikSpreder View Post
Any chance that you guys also is running the game from a SSD harddrive (C), but have a standard HD (like D) hooked up, but not used while playing? I noticed that my normal HD harddrive clicked once like it was starting up again rigth after the crash.

Normally, in any other application or Windows Explorer I will get a little delay until the harddrive is back in action. Maybe that is what is causing the crash if swtor.exe isn't able to pinpoint it and hence crash (if somebody forgot an exception error/handling to file/drive management).
I tried game on both normal drive and SSD drive and it still crash.

I removed turn off hard disk feature so both of my drives are constantly turned on and it still crashing.

MrRayen
09.12.2012 , 09:28 AM | #35
It's the patch from ~04.09 causing the issue. I noticed arround 10 files in assets folder has been changed from that patch to date 01.09.12.

Now I will try something different. It might be that upgrade process did not passed well and repair process is not verifying it correctly. I will delete all the files with 01.09.12 file stamp and force launcher to download them again.

I doubt this will change anything but I tried everything else so I guess it's worth the attempt.

EDIT:

Found something very important. After I deleted the files and started repair process in the launcher. It did recognize it needs to repair 6 files(I deleted 7 files!). It started to download the files but in the middle of the process it just stopped and reported as everything is ready. This could mean that repair process does _not_ work properly so people that have crashes might have them because corrupted .tor files. In addition their repair process is probably broken so they can't repair the game. I am now running the repair process again and it reports again it needs to fix 6 files.

warriorcat
09.12.2012 , 10:05 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by MrRayen View Post
Found something very important. After I deleted the files and started repair process in the launcher. It did recognize it needs to repair 6 files(I deleted 7 files!). It started to download the files but in the middle of the process it just stopped and reported as everything is ready. This could mean that repair process does _not_ work properly so people that have crashes might have them because corrupted .tor files. In addition their repair process is probably broken so they can't repair the game. I am now running the repair process again and it reports again it needs to fix 6 files.
just to let you know some files are created on start up and not repair
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

MrRayen
09.12.2012 , 10:08 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by warriorcat View Post
just to let you know some files are created on start up and not repair
Not the .tor files. Those are 10mb+ game content files. The repair process is now in 2nd loop let's see if it gets the files down in this attempt. Basically if BW is 100% sure game is not broken people with increased crashing might have corrupted files that the repair process don't know how to fix.

impopeye
09.12.2012 , 10:22 AM | #38
Since the last patch I too have been crashing to desk top. (12 times after patch) Did not do this before last patch only after. I could play for 8 hours with out any problem.

Ping test to EA and Google show 0 packet loss, speed test is good.

Ea etc broke the game Now fix it. It is not the fault of anyone's computer just poor programing.

Admit that you F...d up and make it right.

(I have read all these posts) To say that im pissed is not strong enough.

PanikSpreder
09.12.2012 , 10:37 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by MrRayen View Post
I tried game on both normal drive and SSD drive and it still crash.

I removed turn off hard disk feature so both of my drives are constantly turned on and it still crashing.
All right, we'll check that off the list then

PanikSpreder
09.13.2012 , 01:16 PM | #40
After the last patch the game has not crashed once and is performing alot better with multible people around. Lets hope it stays this way