Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stealing the thunder / players like to solo

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Stealing the thunder / players like to solo

JadenStar
09.08.2012 , 06:06 PM | #1
1. I know there are players that want to help other players beat the Elite Boss's, these plople just jump in and steal the thunder from the player that the quest was intended for.

A . If a person is battling the Elite Boss and you see that their health is 75% gone, by all means help the player out, if you wish or throw some heals...

B . If you are a player that likes to help, then ask the player who is getting ready to fight the Elite Boss if he or she need help. This is the proper respect and you are not stealing the glory of the kill. Yes, I play imperial and Republic and knowing that I can solo a Elite Boss's is a great feeling.

2 . I have seen many time player just jump in and steal the thunder from other players , that like to Solo this game and see how the combat is... Not all Eite Boss's are alike in combat style they have differnt specials, that make it a challage. If you attack with same attack you will loose....you as a player have to change your attack and special attacks to confuse the AI's then you will win. The only way to beat a Elite Boss's is to watch and learn and loose a battle a time or two... to know how to win the battle.... The Art of War Sun Tzu

Be Respectful of other players and ask if they need help, But If you see player at 25% or less health, He or She is battling an Elite Boss then by all mean help him or her out, if you wish.....please do not steal there thunder/victory because I'm sure you will not like it if a player took yours.
(█████ Master Beta Tester █████▐ ▓]▤▤▣▤▤[▓▐)

“I find your lack of faith disturbing” – Darth Vader

Tuskin
09.08.2012 , 06:19 PM | #2
I always help someone if they need it, unless they were an *** to me earlier.

Rafaman
09.08.2012 , 06:23 PM | #3
My rule is simple. If I run across a player who has 25% health or less while fighting an elite and the elite is in good health, I'll jump in. And although I don't look for it, it has happened several times resulting in some very relieved new friends. lol

BradTheImpaler
09.08.2012 , 06:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JadenStar View Post
1. I know there are players that want to help other players beat the Elite Boss's, these plople just jump in and steal the thunder from the player that the quest was intended for.

A . If a person is battling the Elite Boss and you see that their health is 75% gone, by all means help the player out, if you wish or throw some heals...

B . If you are a player that likes to help, then ask the player who is getting ready to fight the Elite Boss if he or she need help. This is the proper respect and you are not stealing the glory of the kill. Yes, I play imperial and Republic and knowing that I can solo a Elite Boss's is a great feeling.

2 . I have seen many time player just jump in and steal the thunder from other players , that like to Solo this game and see how the combat is... Not all Eite Boss's are alike in combat style they have differnt specials, that make it a challage. If you attack with same attack you will loose....you as a player have to change your attack and special attacks to confuse the AI's then you will win. The only way to beat a Elite Boss's is to watch and learn and loose a battle a time or two... to know how to win the battle.... The Art of War Sun Tzu

Be Respectful of other players and ask if they need help, But If you see player at 25% or less health, He or She is battling an Elite Boss then by all mean help him or her out, if you wish.....please do not steal there thunder/victory because I'm sure you will not like it if a player took yours.
At first I thought you meant those people who jump in and take items after you kill/when you have almost killed the mobs around a chest. That can be annoying if it happens too often.

Now that I read this...are you really this uptight? Really? I could not care less if someone "stole my thunder", and I'd bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. I almost always prefer to play solo as well, but going on some ego trip where you think "Oh I'm so special because i can kill this boss all by myself!" is (no offense) just pathetic. Have people gotten to the point where, even in a game, helping others is not seen as a decent or kind thing to do, or even as contributing to a sense of community among the gamers, but is taken as a threat to one's ego?

Don't get me wrong, if you prefer to do this on your own for the 'heroic' feeling, that's fine, but of all the things players do in this game, helping you out against a boss should be a pretty low priority for complaints.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

vojinsa
09.08.2012 , 06:34 PM | #5
if you are on the opposing faction then i will wait til you are under 40% and kill you. if you are on the same faction i will let you die and stand over your corpse. when i see you target my toon i will just walk away.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

Bluecapsule
09.08.2012 , 06:34 PM | #6

All the real bosses are in instanced settings anyways, so it's not an issue from a story perspective. Most people enjoy the random human interaction that comes with playing a MULTIPLAYER game. I can't believe someone would post a rant thread about online players helping each other out. Maybe you should stick to single player games.

Ryat
09.08.2012 , 06:37 PM | #7
I don't mind it and I am a soloer.

Sambril
09.08.2012 , 06:40 PM | #8
I agree with the OP, but would go further. If I choose to take on a tough opponent solo I want the result to be my own - win or lose. I would ask the same if I am in a group, that there be no interference from outside the group, let us sink or swim on our own.

EQ2 and other games have an optional 'combat lock' that enforces such a rule, preventing players outside the encounter from attacking the mob or healing the players unless the lock is broken. I just wish more games would implement this rule.

Vyron_Deckard
09.08.2012 , 06:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryat View Post
I don't mind it and I am a soloer.
^This

Pull the pole out people...
Target verified. Commencing hostilities... ~ Unknown

Diet-Hutt
09.08.2012 , 07:02 PM | #10
1. I know there are players that want to help other players beat the Elite Boss's, these plople just jump in and steal the thunder from the player that the quest was intended for..
This is something I am SO glad you don't face in Guild Wars 2.

Not only would both people get credit, you'd get XP for healing or rezzing the person if they died.
They don't even die right away, they have a slim chance to come back to life if they "fight" for it.

I recently died during an elite boss fight during an event and had like3 PEOPLE healing and bringing me back to life all at once.

This sort of thing avoids the "wait in line and try to beat the next man to the button click" quest item/kill.
Like with the droid race last event, people just don't work well together when the options are low and the risk of waiting forever for a re-spawn is undesirable.

Quote:
.....please do not steal there thunder/victory because I'm sure you will not like it if a player took yours.
This tired MMO mechanic needs to change. Definitely removes the fun.
I hear even the Elder Scrolls Online MMO is going to go the same route as GW2 when it comes to players helping each other.

SWTOR take note.
It works extremely well.

- DH
"Wow, remind me to hide my headgear."