Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

think gunsligners got screwed companion wise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
think gunsligners got screwed companion wise

Khevar
09.12.2012 , 11:50 AM | #21
At level 50, my Columi-geared Risha does 500 dps (if I'm lucky) in the Black Hole, but I do 1500. It helps but not really that much. Corso as a tank only does about 250. I used to think dps companions made a big difference but once I started actually checking the logs I was pretty disappointed.

I pretty much just use Guss now because he's funny.

happysister
09.12.2012 , 10:17 PM | #22
i think DPS companions are more effective if you're a tank or healer. not that they don't help if you're DPS yourself. my slinger always did kill stuff faster with Risha/Akaavi out, but it was never as drastic of a difference as say my guardian using Kira vs Doc.
Lorhin - Sharpshooter Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel

Gassygunslinger
09.13.2012 , 04:42 PM | #23
DPS + DPS is great if you're just doing some run of the mill standard quests. If you're not fighting Elites, double DPS will get you through it fast.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Naej
09.15.2012 , 11:56 PM | #24
Even on Elite, I'd take Akaavi anytime, and she'd win hands down on any other companions you have.

I seriously don't understand the complaining here, you get Corso first, which is easily the 2nd best besides Akaavi. And you get Akaavi as early as Balmorra.

Anyone saying they "need" a healer pet are doing it wrong, and they are nerfing their ability to go through content at a decent speed too. Seriously, healer companion didn't help on my Guardian and didn't help on my Slinger. I'm assuming they are no use to a class that can already heal, so I say they are useless mostly. The only healer pet that I put to some use, was Mako, which is great really only because you get her first and you wear plate, so you can go through very hard content early on. I switched her for a DPS as soon as I had one though.

In general, I'll use tank pets or healer pets for group quests, when we don't have someone that can fill that role. Otherwise, they are gathering dust on my starship.

And I prefer the melee DPS companions over the ranged, but that's a question of taste. And I like the ranged tank over the melee... go figure...
Naej - 50 Jedi Guardian / Eljian - 50 Gunslinger [AWAKEN - PotF]
Furlone - 38 Vanguard / Jaen - 45 Jedi Shadow / Florune - 11 Mercenary / Jyang - 11 Operative

bahdasz
09.16.2012 , 04:15 PM | #25
Getting a ranged tank first is a blessing for a gunslinger imo. I love Corso (no ****)'; take cover, tell him to attack, and then open up.... insta-death for anything in the way. I would much rather have a tank than a healer or DPSer as the first gunslinger companion.

Gassygunslinger
09.16.2012 , 08:15 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Naej View Post
Anyone saying they "need" a healer pet are doing it wrong, and they are nerfing their ability to go through content at a decent speed too.
Eh, if you're trying to do stuff like solo 2-man heroics, or fighting champion mobs, a healer is generally needed so you can keep alive long enough for the long fights. And while you can no doubt blow through the other content more quickly with double DPS, it's going to be a countdown to destruction without some form of healing. Typically, I bring Guss along as insurance. Just in case I start lagging, or accidentally aggro another group of mobs.

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

happysister
09.16.2012 , 08:31 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Gassygunslinger View Post
And while you can no doubt blow through the other content more quickly with double DPS, it's going to be a countdown to destruction without some form of healing.
easy. just stop and use Recuperate every few fights. only takes a couple seconds.
Lorhin - Sharpshooter Gunslinger
Sashel - Sawbones Scoundrel

Khevar
09.17.2012 , 01:09 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
easy. just stop and use Recuperate every few fights. only takes a couple seconds.
He's talking about heroic level encounters. Without a healing pet, double dps isn't going to down multiple elites in a single fight before health hits zero, unless you're over leveled.

Gassygunslinger
09.17.2012 , 03:42 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
He's talking about heroic level encounters. Without a healing pet, double dps isn't going to down multiple elites in a single fight before health hits zero, unless you're over leveled.
Exactly. Barring a single heal pack per fight, every point of health you lose, you won't be getting back. It's just a countdown til you hit zero. Having healing opens up the possibility of reviving most, if not all of your lost hitpoints during a fight. Being able to tank indefinitely? That's powerful.

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

DLBoyd
09.26.2012 , 03:15 PM | #30
I don't mind not being able to heal them with my gunslinger, but at least they could not ask for heals when their health gets low...I would if I could...just saying.