Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide: Crew Skills

Spckain
12.14.2011 , 12:08 PM | #111
During beta i noticed my companion made a weapon which was green BUT it was a good success( if i remember right) and caused the item to create a mod slot. So yeah little something to think about to. So yeah more bonus to craft from companion better chance of mod slots being added to the item.

Heezdedjim
12.14.2011 , 12:32 PM | #112
If you want a somewhat more opinionated review of the crew skills, and why you might want to pick certain things, or what to avoid, there is a good section in the Sith Assassin Codex / Jedi Shadow Guide:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...#Crew%20Skills

The tl;dr that I've gotten from all the guides I read pre-wipe are that in the end it comes down to either Biochem or Cybertech, depending on whether you fancy stims or crowd control grenades. I'm going to go with Biochem, since, if beta is any indication, buying stims from the vendors becomes a huge credit sink rather quickly, and the BOP and reuseable stims seem like they will be great kit for endgame PvE.

Another way to choose is either Biochem if you want to make implants or Cybertech if you want to make mods (and plan to use gear that can benefit from them).

From the reports of long term beta players, it appears that the armor and weapon crafting skills are not awful, but you will blow a lot of credits to level them up, and wind up crafting a lot of stuff that you have outleveled by the time you get the materials and schematics needed to make it. And you will pick up all the gear and mods you need just by doing quests along the way.

Although slicing had a reputation for being a credit faucet early on, it got nerfed by the time late stage beta rolled around. By the end, recommendations were that you should choose your crafting skill first, then always choose the designated gathering and mission skills that go with it, if you plan to craft at all. Choosing off-plan skills, like three gathering skills, only makes sense if your plan is to sell to crafters.

Ror-bi-wan
12.14.2011 , 12:40 PM | #113
Still wondering if its worth it or if you can run to fleet at the start and train skills at level one then continue back through your starter zone.

Inzuher
12.14.2011 , 12:48 PM | #114
So does that mean Diplomacy is the only mission skill able to grant you dark and light side points?
Roleplay is alive and well in Swtor and can be found on the Progenitor server.
Anyone interested in engagging in roleplay should check out swtor-rp.com

Zehf
12.14.2011 , 01:46 PM | #115
Why doesn't this have a sticky?

Definitely sticky worthy
Skill > Gear. Wardrobe competitions belong in Project Runway.

Take Notes Bioware

Hindricks
12.14.2011 , 01:55 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Zehf View Post
Why doesn't this have a sticky?

Definitely sticky worthy
Probably because it is not accurate.

It does not cover the latest changes crafting. i.e. orange items and how to get recipes (underworld trading)
Wait under this burning bridge while I determine what your opinion means to me...

Goshee
12.14.2011 , 02:20 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by MrIrrelevant View Post
You should add that unlearning a skill deletes all "XP" gained for that skill, as well as any blue schematics that you have learned for that craft! So choose your craft wisely!

Also, reverse engineering stims or health packs will destroy the whole slot you choose, so if you have multiple items they will all be destroyed.
Thanks for all the information Mr! I have added it to the guide

Goshee
12.14.2011 , 02:23 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Hindricks View Post
Probably because it is not accurate.

It does not cover the latest changes crafting. i.e. orange items and how to get recipes (underworld trading)
Orange recipes are those of custom quality and allow modifications as far as I'm aware.

Updating the thread to further clarify the new changes to modding and custom gear. I will also write a section on custom gear to explain a bit more :3.

LegioXXIII
12.14.2011 , 02:43 PM | #119
realy....
Spoiler
now i have to play a silly JK just to find out how that plays out.... *shake fist at bioware* :P
*in the midst of battle*Private"But sarge, we cant fire into the middle of the jedi and sith fighting, what if we hit some of the jedi?"
Sarge:"Listn to me private it's very simpel, anny sith we hit is a bad guy, anny jedi we hit is a badguy in the making its win win"*Company opens fire*

Luckmann
12.14.2011 , 02:47 PM | #120
Excellent, excellent guide.
I'm going to bump and tag this.

Also, I have a general question since I'm not in the game yet, and I didn't take note when I had a chance in the beta:
  1. What does it cost to train a crew skill?
  2. How does changing your chosen crew skills work?

Thanks.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.