Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Daniel Erickson leaving BW Austin?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Daniel Erickson leaving BW Austin?

Goretzu
09.07.2012 , 03:59 PM | #21
Hmm....... this cannot be good.

If you remove "story" from SWTOR there's not that much left.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LordArtemis
09.07.2012 , 04:01 PM | #22
My opinions on DE are well known, and I will not repeat them here.

I will only say I wish him the best and all of the success in the world.

justandulas
09.07.2012 , 04:13 PM | #23
This is depressing news. I just lost the motivation to log in and play SWTOR for the afternoon, maybe I'll go play some madden instead today. Sacking the original DEV team is not the answer to fixing SWTOR's woe's, quite the contrary. EA should let them stick with their original vision of the game, complete with game changing consequences (such as perma companion death). This game had and still has more potential then any MMO on the market currently, but they will never reach a fraction of that potential without keeping the dev team and adding to the game, and I don't mean just garbage we can buy with cartel coins. Add mini games, add REAL consequences like companion deaths, add open flight space combat with pvp. Add to the game, don't just strip it down to the bare bones. This game has so much potential, but will never reach it if they keep laying people off. I am subbed to 6 months currently, if this game doesn't have some major positive change by the time my 6 month sub runs out I will probably leave and never return. It's a damn shame because I waited years and years for this game and hyped it up to no end, but it is failing to live up to it's vast potential. Add mini games such as pazaak and pod racing, and add space flight and pvp or else this game is in a lot of hurt long term.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
-Darth Justandulas

Jamus_Divinus
09.07.2012 , 04:18 PM | #24
Cost cutting.

All the cutbacks/lay-offs etc are obviously in order to reduce costs. Things will be run on the cheap from now on.

After spending more money on this one game than any other developer in history only for it to go F2P within months I can't blame them for now wanting to do things on the cheap.

I personally liked all of DE's interviews. I wish him well.
Star Wars Galaxies - Bria Server - April 2005- December 2011
500,000,000+ Mounts:262/270 Pets:225/241
Achievement points:39775 Ships mastered: 24/24

Andryah
09.07.2012 , 04:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Hmm....... this cannot be good.

If you remove "story" from SWTOR there's not that much left.
I don't know if it's good or bad really. And this does not directly indicate that they are "removing story". It is change however, which often distresses players, especially in forums.

If you follow the breadcrumbs through linkedin, it's clear that they are reducing the size of the writing staff. If you already have plenty of story constructed and on the shelf (as has been shared by more then one posters in these forums as rumors), it's not a surprise really. You would need more assets to convert story into produced content, which means you juggle your staffing some accordingly. You don't need to retain a lot of writing staff and staff managment to do incremental writing or editiing of content in a game that is well into release. You need some good people for continuity and to form the basis of a major effort for an expansion or something like that.

My guess is that this was decided some time ago, and that the reason we have not heard from Daniel actively for a while even though he is still on staff is that they gave some staff time to look for internal opportunities in other EA activities. Daniel has set his looking for other opportunities flag in linkedin, which does not definitively mean he is leaving (and he does not show has having left yet, so more likely in transition). It't not that uncommon for people to do that on linkedin while still on the payroll, but in the context of the playerbase, yeah... looks to be moving on. James O. wrote him a glowing recommendation on linkedin on 8/14... so this is several weeks old now.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Deewe
09.07.2012 , 04:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
My opinions on DE are well known, and I will not repeat them here.

I will only say I wish him the best and all of the success in the world.
^ This.

Good luck to you Daniel, hope you'll do as good before TOR in your next game.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Goretzu
09.07.2012 , 04:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I don't know if it's good or bad really. And this does not directly indicate that they are "removing story". It is change however, which often distresses players, especially in forums.

If you follow the breadcrumbs through linkedin, it's clear that they are reducing the size of the writing staff. If you already have plenty of story constructed and on the shelf (as has been shared by more then one posters in these forums as rumors), it's not a surprise really. You would need more assets to convert story into produced content, which means you juggle your staffing some accordingly. You don't need to retain a lot of writing staff and staff managment to do incremental writing or editiing of content in a game that is well into release. You need some good people for continuity and to form the basis of a major effort for an expansion or something like that.

My guess is that this was decided some time ago, and that the reason we have not heard from Daniel actively for a while even though he is still on staff is that they gave some staff time to look for internal opportunities in other EA activities. Daniel has set is looking for other opportunities flag in linkedin, which does not definitively mean he is leaving (and he does not show has having left yet, so more likely in transition).

I know you like to look at every thing that happens in SWTOR in the most positive possible light, but reducing story staff can't be good for the story in the future.

Maybe it if was a dire failure, but it's arguably the best bit of SWTOR. It's expensive, it's time consuming to create.... but that was a well known reality before KOTOR was made, nevermind SWTOR.

The most postive spin I can put on it is they are looking to move SWTOR away from their "4th pillar" and expand other sides of it (although I suspect in a WoW/Cashshop not SWG/sandbox direction). The most negative spin I can think of is that this is sounding (again) horribly like Warhammer Online's slide into maintance mode, Devs being shed like chunks of ice from a comet plunging into a star.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

chuixupu
09.07.2012 , 04:32 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
My guess is that this was decided some time ago, and that the reason we have not heard from Daniel actively for a while even though he is still on staff is that they gave some staff time to look for internal opportunities in other EA activities. .
I figure the same....I remember how many times he had said "People would be surprised to know how far ahead in the future the writers are at this point". My guess is he finished all the writing for all the content that had been laid out thus far, probably ending with Makeb, and is moving on, whether it's because he was let go due to downsizing, or if he didn't "fit in with the regime", or he was just disillusioned with the changes in direction/personnel, we may not know for a while.

I don't plan on unsubbing out of fear of what may be...but when a day comes that I see my fears come to fruition in the game, I will indeed unsub and state my reasons.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Trenter
09.07.2012 , 04:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
At this point, Daniel Erickson leaves, I might just join him and wait to see which direction they will end up taking this game when I peep back in after a few months, not a good idea to remove the man behind basically ALL of the story in this game, I can really easily see them having story in the very back of priorities where the 'pillars' are concerned along with things like crafting, and they just focus on endgame and PVP, which will lose all of my interest completely, KotOR 3,4,5,6,7 and so on hm?
I'm with you on this and I might just do the same thing to be honest. I'm a big advocate of TOR and I think it's a great game, but if they're gonna start getting rid of the guys that originally came up with the vision of a true Star Wars mmorpg I'm just not interested anymore. Been hanging on these forums since they opened in october 2008 and Erickson has been a huge part of the journey up til now. True passion there. The way he talked about it. He was there right from the beginning, conceptualizing the game with Ohlen and a few others. If he's being forced away... nah, I'm losing interest. That new guy, Matt Bromberg, doesn't sit too well with me. I just a have a hunch that TOR, with him at the steering wheel, will end up in a place I don't want it to be.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

randalthorr
09.07.2012 , 05:45 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
Who here thinks James Ohlen, Daniel Erickson and Dallas Dickinson will form their own studio I do.
That would be bloody epic.
“Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”
-Darth Bane

Australia