Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I can't play...

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dreampetrucci
09.07.2012 , 11:53 AM | #1
Hi! Yesterday while in a WZ I got massive lag NOT due to my internet connection (I did a speedtest right after that...) and I got kicked to the Server Selection screen. TOday, I tried logging in only to get a "Log in service is temporarily unavailable" message. I tried a second time, same thing. Third time, it took an unusual amount of time but then the PLAY optin popped, only to get stuck in the loading screen for a long time. I ran the FixLauncher app, nothing major happened except when I started the Launcher I got a "Launcher is updating" thing, I then chose PLAY, was sent to the server selection screen but with no servers on it. While I was typing a customer service ticket I got a message saying "Unable to retrieve server list" and the whole thing closed...

Is this a product of the latest patch? Or is it something specific? When will it get fixed?

Thanks! Can't wait to play again...

Sockii
09.07.2012 , 11:55 AM | #2
I've been having the same exact issue in the last week or so. Everything else that is internet related is working perfectly except the game and i get random disconnects during warzones, HMs and raids which is very annoying.

Sutii
09.07.2012 , 11:57 AM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello dreampetrucci,

While I appreciate that you have run a speedtest on your connection, this will not highlight if there are issues present in the connection between your computer and the game server, only that your connection to the server hosting the speedtest is ok. Due to this and although you may have tried some of them already, could you please run through the steps in the following spoiler:

Spoiler
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

dreampetrucci
09.08.2012 , 05:50 PM | #4
Tracert.

Spoiler

Pathping.

Spoiler

There we go.

dreampetrucci
09.08.2012 , 05:53 PM | #5
Here's my DxDiag just in case.

Spoiler

Beruthien
09.08.2012 , 05:59 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings dreampetrucci,

Your traceroute indicates a connection issue to our servers right after your router.

I would recommend emailing the traceroute and pathping to your ISP and then contacting them for further investigation and assistance on the issue.

Please come back to us if you have nay further questions or issues.

Thank you.
Beruthien| BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

dreampetrucci
09.08.2012 , 06:14 PM | #7
I do have lots of questions... However I'm going to be patient and try to reason my way out of this mess which started with your patch.

Unfortunately I'm in a situation where I just cannot email that information to my ISP and call them for further investigation because they offer no such support. They're really mediocre and they probably don't even know what a traceroute or pathping is. I'm telling you this because I've had lots of experience dealing with them to the point where it's me, who has no knowledge of system networks or whatever, who has to tell them what to do in order to fix my problems... So you see, I can't tell them "I play this game, and ever since they deployed the latest patch I cannot connect to these IP addresses.".

Do you have any other recommendations on the matter? Because the only thing for me, and I do not intend this to sound like a threat, would be to cancel my sub and wait till you deploy the next patch. That would suck because I've been pretty supportive with the game since the beginning because I love it. But I'm not willing to pay if I can't play.

Let me know if you can come up with any tips or whatever to overcome this. Thanks again!

Beruthien
09.08.2012 , 06:24 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings dreampetrucci,

Base on your description of your issues and the error messages you have received it is definitely a connection issue you are experiencing and based on your traceroute I do not believe the issue lies with your home network. None the less you could check that firewall and antivirus exceptions for SWTOR.exe and Launcher.exe have been added, that the required ports are opened on your router.
Also you could try restarting your router and establishing a wired connection if you are using a wireless one to see if that helps with this.

If the issue still remains after these steps then the next course of action we would have to recommend would be to contact your ISP and may be they are already aware of some issues and can shed some light on this.

Don't hesitate to come back to us if you have further questions.

Thank you.

dreampetrucci
09.08.2012 , 07:12 PM | #9
Ok, I just tried going through a wired connection and, besides the obvious framerate issues, the game worked. So yeah it's definitely a router thing. I'm guessing I just have to check if the proper ports are enabled, but I need your help. I typed my router's IP, and I opened the page called Port Forwarding, clicked on Add Custom Service but I don't know how to fill the blanks.

Service Name: (I'm guessing I should type "Star Wars : The Old Republic" here for all the ports you said I should open)

Protocol: I can choose between TCP/UDP, TCP or UDP.

Starting Port: ??

Ending Port: ??

Server IP Address: (I'm guessing I have to type my router's IP address for all the ports once again...)

Sorry to bother so much. And thanks.

Beruthien
09.08.2012 , 07:43 PM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings dreampetrucci,

Unfortunately I am unable to assist you with the specific configuration of your router, simply because every router is different and their configuration is different as well.

The best bet in this situation would be to look up your routers manufacturer’s website for useful guides on how to open ports.

Please come back to us if you have any further questions.

Thank you.