Raid gear

Somehow, despite playing since launch (bounced between characters), I never actually got around to doing a raid. I just wanna know- what gear should I have before I do ANY difficulty of raid?

Right now, I've got all recruit armor, aside from battlemaster headgear (armor from dailies requires no-life mode to get).

i personally (Juggernaut dps) went to my first Raid (KP storymode) with full T2 (Columni). I collected the T2 gear from Heroic Flashpoints.

With this lvl 136 euip i was pvergeared, u need NO drop from the raid if equipped T2.

yesterday i made my first palace HC run with columni equip, the other boys were equipped with mostly columni, some Rakata pieces. Succesful run. Drops are up to Rakata.

So if i were you i would collect some columni pieces and try to get 1-2 rakata pieces from dailies..there u go.

But u dont need it..i think tionic equip would be ok too.

Somehow, despite playing since launch (bounced between characters), I never actually got around to doing a raid. I just wanna know- what gear should I have before I do ANY difficulty of raid?

Right now, I've got all recruit armor, aside from battlemaster headgear (armor from dailies requires no-life mode to get).

watch the fights on youtube or w/e. all the gear in the world wont matter if you cant figure out the puzzles or dont know where to fall on the soa stage. the gtn will help with purple 49 mods/armor plates and they can get you ready for sm ev / kp (some hm ops too).

A little off topic but y do people call it columNi gear instead of columi gear? Was it originally named columni and changed at some point?

lol, I don't know.

I took me a while to notice it. In fact, I only did when I was building my character on mr. Robot. I was typing "Columni" in the search field and that got me 0 results. "rofl, crappy website, doesn't have all the gear in its database" But then I looked again in the game and "oops, hehe..." :D

i've heard that people putting black hole mods into colomi/rakata gear for the set bonus what is the best way to maximize the effectiveness

The Tionese, Columi, and Rakata gear shells all provide their set bonus class regardless of what armoring is in them. Campaign armoring provides the set bonus regardless of what shell it is in, even overcoming Tionese, Columi, or Rakata shells (so that a Campaign Commando healing armoring placed into a Rakata VG tanking shell is going to provide the Commando healing set bonus), but I don't believe that Campaign shells have any set bonus at all (might be wrong about this). This creates some problems when trying to optimize your character with the best armorings: Sentinel and Guardian Campaign gear both have several pieces with Guardian Armoring (higher Endurance than Strength) which most people would rather replace with Might Armoring (higher Str than End). So, most gear optimizers have taken to using the Tionese, Columi, and Rakata shells filled with the properly itemized Campaign and Black Hole armorings, mods, and enhancements (which, aside from aesthetics, is one of the reasons you see a lot of people still running around in their "old" gear rather than the new stuff).