Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mature rated Star Wars.

Rayla_Felana
09.06.2012 , 08:57 AM | #1
Besides 1313, don't you wish we had many more mature Star Wars stories and no, I don't mean the dark and gritty mis-understood 'in' stories of recent years, but generally just more powerful storytelling instead of EP1C L1ghtZaber Battles! mixed with Jar-Jar style comedy? one of the main reasons I dislike the Clone Wars it just lack of maturity in much of it, don't get me wrong, some of the Dark Side tales are very well done, but most of the time it's just 'bleh' for me.

Now SWTOR is kind of heading in the right direction, but I seriously wished it took a Harry Potter movie style of transition for much of the franchise as a whole, from the childish toned-down version of storytelling in Philosopher's Stone to a far far more adult series by the time of Goblet of Fire.

I am sure some will disagree and claim 'maturity' isn't the Star Wars style, but how could ESB and ROTJ be any more directed towards adults? which is probably the reason many like ESB over ANH.

BlazingShadow
09.06.2012 , 09:05 AM | #2
Ah, no. OT is about as serious as it should get, and they never went past the PG rating. R/M-rated content is normally rated that way for excessive violence, nudity, language, etc. Star Wars needs not these things, and good story telling, it does not make.

Aurbere
09.06.2012 , 09:38 AM | #3
I think Star Wars could use more mature themes. But no mature content like nudity and excessive gore. Episode three was going in the right direction, meaning the tone of the movie, but it didn't quite make it. I must say that Order 66 scene was great, coupled with John Williams music made it even better.

Star Wars isn't always good guys always win and lollipops and rainbows. KOTOR II showed that Star Wars is a dark tale. While the good guys win eventually, there should be bumps in the road. It allows connections to be made to the characters and allows viewers to invest themselves into the story.
Added Chapter 40 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling
09.06.2012 , 09:58 AM | #4
George Lucas is actually planning on going down these lines in a few years time. He's planning a new live-action series called Star Wars: Underworld set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. And by the looks of it he's aiming for a more mature audience with a more 'Star Wars 1313' style.

Here's some links with more info from wookieepedia and wikipedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...tion_TV_series

Wolfninjajedi
09.06.2012 , 10:05 AM | #5
Well Star Wars as a whole is more for a general audience really, its for everyone not so much kids. But anyway can agree, but as it sits now seems rather a good fit overall. I don't think it would be good now, to start going in anything further then PG otherwise your going to be neglecting a part of the fanbase. Plus Star Wars has always been a PG/General audience rating, I don't think it would be rather wise to stray from that completely.

Now you can have some mature things here and there, but it shouldn't completely take over. At best, it should be PG-PG-13 area(Ep 3 being PG-13 was actually good and while it was dark, it didn't completely stray away)
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Rayla_Felana
09.06.2012 , 10:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazingShadow View Post
Ah, no. OT is about as serious as it should get, and they never went past the PG rating. R/M-rated content is normally rated that way for excessive violence, nudity, language, etc. Star Wars needs not these things, and good story telling, it does not make.
I disagree, any of these themes can and perhaps should be used as long as they are done well and used appropriately, perhaps you prefer the much more toned down George Lucas way of doing things 'Greedo shoots first' and those types of things, but for example Order 66, that whole scene and atmosphere made the whole film worth watching along with Anakin's fall.

Star Wars needs to stop being monetized for the kids and young teens with stuff like TFU and instead should start to actually take itself seriously as a franchise, I feel it has been holding itself back for long enough, great stories can and should be told, but the only thing stopping that is the 'idea' that Star Wars shouldn't be 'too serious', which is asinine for a franchise which clearly has been working hard towards the opposite, to get out of the kiddie friendly zone which established itself way back with the ewoks.

Rayla_Felana
09.06.2012 , 10:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
George Lucas is actually planning on going down these lines in a few years time. He's planning a new live-action series called Star Wars: Underworld set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. And by the looks of it he's aiming for a more mature audience with a more 'Star Wars 1313' style.

Here's some links with more info from wookieepedia and wikipedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...tion_TV_series
Exactly, I cannot wait to finally see this move forward, this and 1313 are the real steps towards a proper established and self-respecting franchise.

Beniboybling
09.06.2012 , 10:57 AM | #8
It definitely looks promising and I agree, with this addition Star Wars will become a lot more rounded and accessible to everyone - lets just hope they do a good job of it

BlazingShadow
09.06.2012 , 11:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I disagree, any of these themes can and perhaps should be used as long as they are done well and used appropriately, perhaps you prefer the much more toned down George Lucas way of doing things 'Greedo shoots first' and those types of things, but for example Order 66, that whole scene and atmosphere made the whole film worth watching along with Anakin's fall.

Star Wars needs to stop being monetized for the kids and young teens with stuff like TFU and instead should start to actually take itself seriously as a franchise, I feel it has been holding itself back for long enough, great stories can and should be told, but the only thing stopping that is the 'idea' that Star Wars shouldn't be 'too serious', which is asinine for a franchise which clearly has been working hard towards the opposite, to get out of the kiddie friendly zone which established itself way back with the ewoks.
No, I quite literally meant the ORIGINAL trilogy. Yes, Han shoots first, no he's not a complete hero like any other human being, but the buck stops there. We don't need anymore child-murdering psychos (anakin) or any more mature themes in star wars. Star wars dealt with the classic journey of the hero. Do you need anything else? Really? Do you want excessive gore or sexual content in something meant for everyone?

I can understand wamting less ewoks, less gungans, less children... But more adult themes? That's like asking Minnie Mouse to do a strip tease. Just come out and say you want to watch Breaking Bad/Sons of Anarchy but with lightsabers.

Nah, Star Wars is supposed to cater to everyone, not just the 10pm crowd.

Beniboybling
09.06.2012 , 11:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazingShadow View Post
No, I quite literally meant the ORIGINAL trilogy. Yes, Han shoots first, no he's not a complete hero like any other human being, but the buck stops there. We don't need anymore child-murdering psychos (anakin) or any more mature themes in star wars. Star wars dealt with the classic journey of the hero. Do you need anything else? Really? Do you want excessive gore or sexual content in something meant for everyone?

I can understand wamting less ewoks, less gungans, less children... But more adult themes? That's like asking Minnie Mouse to do a strip tease. Just come out and say you want to watch Breaking Bad/Sons of Anarchy but with lightsabers.

Nah, Star Wars is supposed to cater to everyone, not just the 10pm crowd.
I think your taking her point to an extreme here, at no point was it said that star wars should have more 'excessive gore and sexual content'. Harry Potter is a good example of this, it takes a darker route but not a violent and sexual one, and it lends itself to the franchise, catering for a wider audience. You say Star Wars is supposed to cater for everyone, not just the 10pm crowd - but for many, SCW is just catering for kids, which isn't fair for everyone. Star Wars would benefit from exploring more mature areas because the Star Wars universe is so diverse, it can't just be limited to one genre.

Look at Star Wars 1313, its exploring a mature genre, but is by no means excessively gorey and sexual. Its about the underworld and corruption, not the heroic adventures and overcoming evil (not everyone wants to play The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes) There more to star wars than just the classic hero. Neither are the darker moments in ROTS - its the dark side for god sake, they kill innocents, not offer people cookies.