Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Writer's Rant Thread

Tatile
12.17.2012 , 12:19 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
With all of the confusion of the past month, I was hoping to be able to return to writing. Thought I'd turned a corner, had a handle on things, but nooooooooooo. What did I do? I had to go and fall in love on top of everything. Now, I'm having trouble writing a grocery list. I admitted my long time feelings, and now my muse has gone off with his, I can only presume. Hope they send a postcard, since I can still read-- at least, I can today.

Why is it that I can only write if I'm hurt or unhappy or just plain stuck in my life??? Please understand I'm so happy I think my heart will burst right out of my body, but my brain refuses to continue a story line, or even think about plot twists.

My head hurts. I'm going to lie down.
Writing can be a way of working stuff out that you otherwise can't do - sounds like you're got everything pretty much sorted now ^.~

kabeone
12.17.2012 , 12:25 PM | #122
With all of the confusion of the past month, I was hoping to be able to return to writing. Thought I'd turned a corner, had a handle on things, but nooooooooooo. What did I do? I had to go and fall in love on top of everything. Now, I'm having trouble writing a grocery list. I admitted my long time feelings, and now my muse has gone off with his, I can only presume. Hope they send a postcard, since I can still read-- at least, I can today.

Why is it that I can only write if I'm hurt or unhappy or just plain stuck in my life??? Please understand I'm so happy I think my heart will burst right out of my body, but my brain refuses to continue a story line, or even think about plot twists.

I've never been so happy to read about writer's block. Congrats, love can make for a lot of other writing, it just might not be Star Wars related. <3

Ereiniel
12.17.2012 , 01:00 PM | #123
Dear characters,

Thank you for inspiring me to write all the things I've posted here thus far, and all the unfinished pieces I have yet to post, and all the fics that have yet to be written. And thank you for keeping me up super-late at night, preventing me from getting a good night's sleep and completely messing up my sleep schedule because you keep poking my brain until ungodly hours of night/early morning. How do I explain "insomnia from fanfic"? I didn't have this problem before. It's all your fault.

But I love you all anyway.

Love,
Me

--

P.S. Mags - congratulations, I'm really happy for you! <3
The Girard Legacy, The Shadowlands <Non Serviam> | <Transcendence>
The Tremayne Legacy, Ebon Hawk <The Scarlet Hand> | <The Hetaireia>

iamthehoyden
01.04.2013 , 11:36 AM | #124
Hey stupid person who posts before she has the final scenes sorted out! Yeah, you!! What the hell were you thinking??? Sure, the story is probably better for it, cause you totally would have chickened out if you'd realized how difficult it was going to make writing the end and would have written something fluffier, but STILL...ARGH!!!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Morgani
01.04.2013 , 02:50 PM | #125

I'm a month late on this but yes, YES. I get you Mags. I fell in love in October and haven't written a thing since. Until yesterday. My love has read all my fan fic and enjoyed it and was extremely disappointed when I stopped. But I just didn't have the drive or the desire to write fiction when I had something so wonderful in my life right there all the time. I didn't even have the desire to play ToR and that was where we met.

I'm starting to feel it come back now, though. Ipha and Brei started tapping at my mind, reminding me that their story isn't done and while they enjoyed their vacation, it's about time to get back to work. It'll come back and you'll be even richer for it.

I'm happy for you. I'm happy for me. I'm excited to share the rest of their story with him and with everyone else.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Tatile
02.06.2013 , 05:47 PM | #126
I need someone to go over the second(ish) installation for my TOTSD to make sure it flows at least coherently, but I don't have anyone I can just pester :/

Also, do you capitalize species' like a proper noun during sentences or not? (Mirialan versus mirialan, for example - the first sounds like a designation, the second like a description.)

bright_ephemera
07.04.2013 , 07:06 PM | #127
Resurrecting this thread because I still have writer problems!

Such as: Dear brain, why, as I have four files open, can you not summon enthusiasm for any of them? In some of 'em you know what's going to happen! You just have to put words on the page! But no, nothing. All of my projects are totally unwriteable right now.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Lady-Jean
07.04.2013 , 07:29 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post

Such as: Dear brain, why, as I have four files open, can you not summon enthusiasm for any of them? In some of 'em you know what's going to happen! You just have to put words on the page! But no, nothing. All of my projects are totally unwriteable right now.
I have the opposite problem at the moment. I would bottle some of the over eager words and send them to you if I could.

Magdalane
07.04.2013 , 07:46 PM | #129
Sorry, Bright-- I do know how you feel. Sometimes I have a file open and write a couple of sentences at a time, then go back hours later and revise them. Remember, it's a process. I'm sure you'll figure out how to say what you want to say, you're just that good
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Kitar
07.04.2013 , 11:56 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post

Bright,
I know how you feel there is nothing worse than having that disconnect between your head and your hand, I don't think there is anything more frustrating.
Now I am not claiming to be a writer or anything, I honestly doubt my ability to write my way out of a paper bag, but a creative block is a creative block.
Don't know if any of these might help you, they have helped me in the past. Do mundane house stuff, like mowing your acreage or weeding the veggie garden, sometimes boring things can help break down that barrier. Try writing on something that is not a computer, hashing it out by hand. Or doing something on the creative side that isn't writing. Once, during my live model drawing class, I started writing in the sketchbook during poses I was not to thrilled about, ended up being a great night, had some nice sketches and the beginning of the story of the extremely inebriated Cathar outside the cantina. Totally not what I was wanting/expecting to write but it got the creative juices flowing again.