1.4 PvP ~ 23-11-7 "The Linebacker Build"

Order-Sixty-Six

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIrozoskZhGb0zZf0M.2

It's a shadow tank with a 5 second cooldown on force speed, and 25% DR after leaving stealth or activating blackout.

Infiltration tactics will give a 75% cost reduction and 30% damage on your next shadow strike, this will be used for situational purposes, like on healers that try to kite you, stunned targets, ballhandlers, or others they try to escape.

Celerity will take you back to the days of having a short cc breaker cooldown, and give you 5 seconds off the cost of force speed. So 20 second force speed base in 1.4, minus 10 from Elusiveness, minus 5 from Celerity, giving you a 5 second force speed. This means 40% of the time you will be moving at 150% speed.

Masked Assault finishes the cooldown of Blackout when you exit Stealth mode. In addition, Masked Assault/Blackout causes Shadow's Respite to reduce all damage taken by 25% while active. This means whenever you are stealthed you have 25% damage reduction, whenever you are popped from stealth you have 6 seconds 25% damage reduction, and whenever you have blackout out of stealth you get 6 seconds of 25% damage reduction. Cloaking resets blackout, so blackout > force cloak > blackout gives over 18 seconds of 25% damage reduction. Don't forget about the 50% force regeneration in all cases of blackout and stealth, if you use this with Resilience active with large amounts of focus fire, double bladed saber defense will also give you quite a bit of force back.

The 23 points in kinetic are something most of us are used to so I won't elaborate there. Don't forget the point on Impact Control makes your Battle Readiness heal you. Your stun will be 10 meters, so you are at a lack of long range attacks besides pull, but your force speed will make gap closing effortless, save pull to interrupt caps.

The rotation is essentially using force speed every cooldown, double strike for particle acceleration proc, project for shadow strike proc, kick, shadow strike. If you force potency your particle accelerated project do an additional particle accelerated project afterwards so kick doesn't eat your second force potency charge. In large groups you can get by procing particle acceleration off of whirling blow, using blackout for force replenishment, with resilience +double bladed saber defense.

I decided to post this build because it doesn't waste points, and I don't think there is a need for kinetic field or the force kick talent that could possibly be higher up in the tree causing us to lose points on other needed talents.

Edited by Order-Sixty-Six

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIrozoskZhGb0zZf0M.2

Masked Assault finishes the cooldown of Blackout when you exit Stealth mode. In addition, Masked Assault/Blackout causes Shadow's Respite to reduce all damage taken by 25% while active. This means whenever you are stealthed you have 25% damage reduction, whenever you are popped from stealth you have 25% damage reduction, and whenever you have blackout out of stealth you get 6 seconds of 25% damage reduction. Cloaking resets blackout, so blackout > force cloak > blackout gives over 12 seconds of 25% damage reduction. Don't forget about the 50% force regeneration in all cases of blackout and stealth, if you use this with Resilience active with large amounts of focus fire, double bladed saber defense will also give you quite a bit of force back

As far as I can tell, you are wrong about the 25% DR. It says that "BLACKOUT causes Shadow's Respite to reduce damage by 25%"

Meaning you will only get the DR when using Blackout and not every time Shadow's Respite is active.

As far as I can tell, you are wrong about the 25% DR. It says that "BLACKOUT causes Shadow's Respite to reduce damage by 25%"

Meaning you will only get the DR when using Blackout and not every time Shadow's Respite is active.

No it says Masked Assault / Blackout causes Shadows respite to reduce damage by 25%.

Meaning the talent causes shadow's respite to reduce damage, and thus blackout because it grants shadow's respite.

I've thought about the same when I saw the article.

HOWEVER, I sincerely doubt that the skill tree will remain in such way that it allows a 5s cooldown on Force Speed.

Do not forget that the devs are only here exposing their plans. This is not the final patch notes... it isn't even the test patch notes yet.

I'm pretty sure that the skill tree will have some adjustment on it before it goes on test server... and if not, the other classes are going to scream so hard once one of us actualy do that in a huttball test game, that it will never go live like this.

Yes, it is a fun build... but it will remain a theorical build. There is less than 2% chances that it will be allowed to exist by the devs on live servers.

I've thought about the same when I saw the article.

HOWEVER, I sincerely doubt that the skill tree will remain in such way that it allows a 5s cooldown on Force Speed.

Do not forget that the devs are only here exposing their plans. This is not the final patch notes... it isn't even the test patch notes yet.

I'm pretty sure that the skill tree will have some adjustment on it before it goes on test server... and if not, the other classes are going to scream so hard once one of us actualy do that in a huttball test game, that it will never go live like this.

Yes, it is a fun build... but it will remain a theorical build. There is less than 2% chances that it will be allowed to exist by the devs on live servers.

I wouldn't be so sure, look at powertechs.

Even if they decide not to make the talents stack, I can live happily with a 10 second force speed cooldown.

I have a feeling as though the 20 second cooldown was only intended for sages/sorcs and they accidentally put consular / inquisitor. So it wouldn't surprise me to see it being 15 seconds as our lowest option.

As it stands I'm curious how this trade of force in balance + harnessed shadows + double strike critical increase will trade off for extra force regen, extra speed, extra shadow strike damage, and an extra dcd. It kinda seems balanced when you consider the dps output your losing. However the DPS output is not what counts when it comes to objective based pvp.

I'm preparing a rated team of 6 shadows 2 scoundrels for day 1 of 1.4. The shadows have agreed to run this build and I'm curious to see if we can make it to the enemy node before the enemy does. It will be amazing to have that kind of mobility without them being able to see which node we all pop out on next.

I'm imagining a novare coast where they begin running south to see no one is coming south so immediately yell to reinforce their northern node, only to have 7 people pop out on them at once. If south is lost we can transition north east in a snap while they move to keep up with us at a snails pace.

A team of 6 shadows and 2 scoundrels :) I see I'm not the only one that want to see that in rated ^^

Seeing the planned changes myself, I thought about something similar to your build but for another reason:

I've been longing for long time for a way to make a build working around Particle Acceleration, and it seems that after the 1.4, this one could work:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIMozzcZhGb0zZf0cMb.2

Edited by Moonheart_S

A team of 6 shadows and 2 scoundrels :) I see I'm not the only one that want to see that in rated ^^

Seeing the planned changes myself, I thought about something similar to your build but for another reason:

I've been longing for long time for a way to make a build working around Particle Acceleration, and it seems that after the 1.4, this one could work:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIMozzcZhGb0zZf0cMb.2

I like that build, I'm a big fan of adjudication. My only grievances would be no spinning kick out of stealth (and less armor rating), no pull to stop people from 30m, and 15% project damage is gone. That row has the utilities that make kc the monster tree. I could not imagine life without spinning kick out of stealth, or a huttball where I couldn't quickly end a gaurded jugg with 2 healers by yanking him into a hot firepit.

I'm very curious to see balance builds that make use of infiltration's changes.

What has me worried is that our scoundrels will be lagging behind us in rated, but it shouldn't be an issue once they arrive, have gaurd, and are feeling the love from several players taunting simultaneously.

The 1st build sounds good, the second build not so much..

Though I think the first build will be a purely defensive build, as you will lack a lot of dps (and only relying on a DS+Project+SS combo, will slowly but steadily eat your force away; even more so when you don't have all your CDs)...

Node defending will be nuts..

The build could be a pretty beasty build for a shadow main tank in rateds.. With the right gear you could be almost unkillable and couldn't really be separated from the people you want to guard..

Personally I'd look at a build like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskrsZhMbZc.2 or this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskZhMbZf0cR.2 though the force costs will not really be worth it..

But I'm pretty sure and hope BW won't allow these kind of builds, because it would be just nuts..

Edited by Okema

The 1st build sounds good, the second build not so much..

Though I think the first build will be a purely defensive build, as you will lack a lot of dps (and only relying on a DS+Project+SS combo, will slowly but steadily eat your force away; even more so when you don't have all your CDs)...

Node defending will be nuts..

The build could be a pretty beasty build for a shadow main tank in rateds.. With the right gear you could be almost unkillable and couldn't really be separated from the people you want to guard..

Personally I'd look at a build like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskrsZhMbZc.2 or this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskZhMbZf0cR.2 though the force costs will not really be worth it..

But I'm pretty sure and hope BW won't allow these kind of builds, because it would be just nuts..

Well I'm running a 50 force effect so I have nothing to worry about, but don't underestimate how ridiculous bioware is making masked assault.

Start off stealthed

Pop out - 6 seconds of shadow's respite

Blackout - 6 seconds of shadow's respite

Resilience - 4 seconds of double bladed saber defense

Force Cloak - 6 seconds of shadow's respite

Pop out - 6 seconds of shadow's respite

Blackout - 6 seconds of shadow's respite

Deflection - 20 seconds of double bladed saber defense

That's damn near permanent force regen.

This build would be hilarious if they made it possible. The main objection is that you're missing a great deal of burst damage. All you have is <PA>->Project->SS, which is maybe 8k damage if you're geared. It really would be a harassment and control build, which honestly is what warzones are all about these days, but still.

This build would be hilarious if they made it possible. The main objection is that you're missing a great deal of burst damage. All you have is <PA>->Project->SS, which is maybe 8k damage if you're geared. It really would be a harassment and control build, which honestly is what warzones are all about these days, but still.

Average is about 3k a double strike, 2 double strikes a proc, 4k project (more if energized), and I think there will be around a 4k shadow strike average.

so that's at least 15k per rotation when you include upheaval and combat technique procs.