Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy Names no longer unique

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Legacy Names no longer unique
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mrpayday
09.05.2012 , 08:35 AM | #1
"Legacy names are no longer unique. New Legacies that are created are now able to use a name that is already in use on the server. All players will be able to rename their Legacies once, at no cost, in a future update."

That should make someone happy.

The new character select screen seems to suggest more slots coming too.

Tordos
09.05.2012 , 08:40 AM | #2
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this. Why are legacy names no longer unique? What was the motivation behind this move? Could it have something to do with the forced transfers?

Kazjan
09.05.2012 , 08:45 AM | #3
Out of all the issue with this game they focus on adding a new detail to adding characters and messing with the legacy system. Woot BW for the win
"Real living is living for others."
Knights of Sokan
Casual Jedi RP/PvP guild
SWTOR Guild HQ

Jarlgon
09.05.2012 , 08:45 AM | #4
its a good idea and I believe it was because of forced transfers

InnerPieces
09.05.2012 , 08:47 AM | #5
If that were the case then the logical step would've been to make first names non-unique and tied to a unique legacy name. First names are by far a greater point of contention than Legacy names ever were.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

heechJunzi
09.05.2012 , 08:48 AM | #6
This makes zero sense to me.

Transfers are already done (or at least close enough to it). If anyone has a legacy name conflict, it's already been resolved one way or another.

By having a unique legacy name, people can recognize my toons. I even thought that, some day, we might be able to friend/message legacies... so if I whisper a certain legacy, whatever toon is logged on from that legacy would see it. From a social point of view, that would make a TON of sense.

I really wish BIoware would come in here and explain the logic behind this move.
Junzi - EWH Sentinel Buxi - EWH Commando Jünzi - EWH Operative
----------- The Harbinger -----------

iamthehoyden
09.05.2012 , 08:50 AM | #7
Wow, that sucks. Better hope the other people with your name aren't a**holes.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

jsdcaedus
09.05.2012 , 08:51 AM | #8
this is a terrible idea IMO. isn't the purpose of the legacy patch and the legacy name to make your own personal story about your characters? now every other noob on my server is gonna have the same name as me. awesome. thanks bioware...

Hessen
09.05.2012 , 08:51 AM | #9
Can't believe anyone would seriously be annoyed at this.

So you're slightly less of a snowflake. That must really hurt.
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

OpTiMaTeZ
09.05.2012 , 08:51 AM | #10
I'm not a fan of this at all, i would be much more upset if someone took my legacy name than my first name. Names are names, you get it first or you pick something else, that is the way of the world.