Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dealing with Ranged Mobs

Smokt
12.19.2011 , 12:11 PM | #1
First, seems like force users have some kind of aoe knockback which sends mobs flying around everywhere. Now, not a big deal but if they are ranged mobs it means they went from being nicely clumped up to spread out everywhere so that I cant easily hit them all with DFA, Flames or AOE missle. I hesitate to ask people to stop doing anything since we arent wiping but maybe I should start?

Second, There are a ton of ranged mobs with blasters, missles, etc. At level 20 I havent really gotten any abilities to make ranged mobs move closer (and its compounded by above). Im tab targetting and can easily regain aggro on these mobs but I cant get them nicely clumped up together for AOEing. Ie. we arent getting a whole lot of splash damage on ranged mobs so fights last longer than they should. Anyone have suggestions on this problem or is it just wait til you get XYZ ability?

Nowiser
12.19.2011 , 12:15 PM | #2
At 22 you get grapple. Makes life easier. If you don't wipe do.t gripe, that's my motto

Smokt
12.19.2011 , 12:17 PM | #3
Thanks boss. So I guess my problem is solved/reduced in 1 level.

Dakku
12.19.2011 , 12:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokt View Post
First, seems like force users have some kind of aoe knockback which sends mobs flying around everywhere. Now, not a big deal but if they are ranged mobs it means they went from being nicely clumped up to spread out everywhere so that I cant easily hit them all with DFA, Flames or AOE missle. I hesitate to ask people to stop doing anything since we arent wiping but maybe I should start?

Second, There are a ton of ranged mobs with blasters, missles, etc. At level 20 I havent really gotten any abilities to make ranged mobs move closer (and its compounded by above). Im tab targetting and can easily regain aggro on these mobs but I cant get them nicely clumped up together for AOEing. Ie. we arent getting a whole lot of splash damage on ranged mobs so fights last longer than they should. Anyone have suggestions on this problem or is it just wait til you get XYZ ability?
I've also noticed a problem with other players knocking something out of my ability range. I haven't brought it up yet, just because I'm still low level (20's) and I understand still playing around with my abilities. Once we get into higher levels and crowd control becomes a bigger issue, it may be something to bring up. By then though, I imagine everyone will understand the need to be careful.

As far as the second question, I believe we eventually get a grappling hook that can pull enemies into us.

Avanaco
12.19.2011 , 04:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakku View Post
I've also noticed a problem with other players knocking something out of my ability range. I haven't brought it up yet, just because I'm still low level (20's) and I understand still playing around with my abilities. Once we get into higher levels and crowd control becomes a bigger issue, it may be something to bring up. By then though, I imagine everyone will understand the need to be careful.
Yeah, that's a mega pain. Sith kiddies running around knocking everything back.

On the other hand, mobs that can be knocked back out of range are usually pretty weak - so if they take some punches from them, maybe they'll learn :P

Happaa
12.19.2011 , 04:14 PM | #6
It's pretty much just a "wait till you get grapple and jet charge" kind of solution. Once you get these abilities + the single target and AoE taunts, holding aggro isn't a problem.

Smokt
12.19.2011 , 04:32 PM | #7
Didnt know we got an AOE taunt. Powertech seems kinda OP (Shhh.) as it is, with an aoe taunt ----->

UNLEASEH THE KRAKEN

Kollbjorn
12.20.2011 , 04:16 AM | #8
One of my friends is playing an Assassin and he likes to screw with me by knocking back all the mobs I pick up like that. Sure it makes pulls take longer because of the lack of AoE damage, but on the plus side its extremely easy to hold aggro (since the DPS cannot AoE and are pretty much forced to single target mobs down).