Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shield Spec: Taunts and Guard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Vanguard
Shield Spec: Taunts and Guard

Marb
09.20.2012 , 08:45 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
go read your guard tool tip. the threat reduction and 5% dmg reduction have no range associated with their buffs. The debuff comes up as an easy way for a tank to spot if their guarded healer is in range, at 15 yards.
This is how I read it also.
Zerkhan - Harbinger

Miallen
10.15.2012 , 08:02 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
This is how I read it also.
This was my impression as well, thus the reason I asked about it to be honest.
"Welcome men, you are now part of Operation Human Shield."
Miallen | Merrak | Essani
Outer Rim Templars | Guildmaster
. End Game Ops - PvP - Social - Leveling

TheRampage
11.04.2012 , 04:18 PM | #13
Just a tip - I'm max geared, and when my sentinel (who I guard!) goes to enrage mode he pulls from me (and I'm in my normal rotation). So watch for situations like that, drop taunt now and then when u know this might happen.

So far only sentinel does that to me, didn't notice shadow or vanguard.

Darth_Dreselus
11.14.2012 , 05:13 AM | #14
The PvE 5% damage reduction works over 30m. If you do not believe me, zone into Denova have some one go into the exhaustion zone and see how much damage they take. Then guard them and see how much damage they take. Then go to 30m+ and see how much damage they take. As long as they have guard the damage will be reduced by 5%. I can only guess threat works the same way, it is harder to test out but you could kill the first group except one mob and then have them attack it with guard on but over 30m. Upload the log to torparse.com and see if attacks only generated 75% threat. Obviously this does not have to be the trash in Denova, something with a lot of HP but low damage would work well such as an underleveled word boss (I.E attack the Coruscant World boss or something.) I will try it later on today and post my findings.

Furthermore the PvP tank set bonus (increased damage while guarding someone) also works at any range. The only thing that depends on range is the 50% PvP damage redirection which requires the targets to stand at 15m from eaach other.

As for taunts:

A taunt does 2 things. (PvE)

1. Applies a 6 second debuff on the target forcing it to attack you.
2. If you are standing within 2m (varies and depends on hitbox) you will be given 110% of the highest person's threat (even of that person was you, as such taunts can be used throughout the fight to keep your threat up if you don't need them for a mechanic). If you are standing over 2m it gives you 130% of threat. The max range for taunt is 30m.

Proof:

All fights are just leap and taunt: http://www.torparse.com/a/46888
1. taunt at 1m - 110%
2. failed attempt, didn't taunt in time
3. taunt at 2.5m - 130%
4. taunt at 6m - 130%
5. not on the parser as I merely taunted and there was 0 threat and 130% of 0 is 0. Strangely enough the threat gained was 2.

[23:10:19.348] [@Filthy-rich] [Operations Training Target MK-5 {2816265890562048}:3238000006867] [] [Event {836045448945472}: Taunt {836045448945488}] () <2>

That was also the case with the other fights, I got 2 more threat on top of the 110/130%. Yay me =D

Ignore the rest of the parsed fights that's just me messing about with openers.

In PvP the taunt lowers the target's damage dealt to allied players (but not you) by I believe 20% for 6s but not sure about the specific numbers..
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP