Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Crew Skills

GECC
09.04.2012 , 09:51 AM | #1
What are the crew skills I should choose for my smuggler I wanna be able to make some very nice weapons.

BebeLeBozo
09.04.2012 , 10:20 AM | #2
I suggest you read the post about crafting and companion skill bonuses
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

To make weapons you need Armstech > Scavenging > Investigation

I really suggest you read the post, especially if this is your first character. In general crafting is a black hole to throw money into if you don't know what you are doing. The guns you get from drops and the upgrades you get from planet commendations are usually better than what you can make at your current level. You tend to outlevel your stuff quick and if you don't have a mature crafter, you won't keep up. If you have a fully leveled crafter, Armstech is a good profession to arm your alts and to make augments. It sucks to make your weapons for your only character. After you get one orange weapon, you won't need another. The rest are cosmetic. The weapon's stats come from the mods and the mods are made by three different professions. Armstech only makes barrels and some augments. Artiface make enhancements, and cybertech makes mods.

I have fully leveled craftsmen in all professions and my armstech has only made weapons to grind skill points and make augments componants. I've literally made only one or two weapons to use.

A more usefull skill is bio med. You can make resusable stims and adrenals, saving you plenty of credits. It's also one of the only professions useful at end game.

_Motoki_
09.04.2012 , 10:36 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BebeLeBozo View Post
I suggest you read the post about crafting and companion skill bonuses
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

To make weapons you need Armstech > Scavenging > Investigation
Is the investigation part just for the Carbo-plas? I've been doing Armstech, Scavaging and Slicing (I'm around level 20 now) and find that is working well for me except for not having a source of carbo-plas which some of the weapons and upgrades need. I've been buying some on the market but that gets expensive really fast.

The thing is that I like slicing and am getting decent (for my level) money out of it, plus I read it's supposed to be useful later to get droids to fight for you and open shortcuts and such. I'm wondering if I should just give up armstech although I have actually gotten to the point where I can make decent upgrades for myself and rifles for my companion.

Anyway, I'm not too far into any of the skills so I'll have to give it some more thought.

BebeLeBozo
09.04.2012 , 10:42 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by _Motoki_ View Post
Is the investigation part just for the Carbo-plas? I've been doing Armstech, Scavaging and Slicing (I'm around level 20 now) and find that is working well for me except for not having a source of carbo-plas which some of the weapons and upgrades need. I've been buying some on the market but that gets expensive really fast.

The thing is that I like slicing and am getting decent (for my level) money out of it, plus I read it's supposed to be useful later to get droids to fight for you and open shortcuts and such. I'm wondering if I should just give up armstech although I have actually gotten to the point where I can make decent upgrades for myself and rifles for my companion.

Anyway, I'm not too far into any of the skills so I'll have to give it some more thought.
Investigation provides the blue and purple armstech crafting materials needed in blue and purple schematics.
This is true for all crafting. The third disipline are mission skills used for the blue and purple mats. To craft greens, you only need the gaterhing skill. Gathering skills will only yield green mats. In general, Purple mats are only given when you crit on a mission above the Moderate level. (Although they will be given rarely on moderate missions when you have a maxed companion with a crit bonus)

For example
Artifice needs Treasure Hunting for the blue and purple mats
Cybertech needs Underworld Trading

Everyone should read the RE guide, even if you don't craft. It's a wealth of info about what all the color codes mean as well as what the prefix names of the item means. They indicate the type of stats on the item and will make your GTN searches more meaningful and easier. Did you know a single item can lead to 18 diffferent schematics?
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866.

DLBoyd
09.04.2012 , 04:05 PM | #5
Slicing can replace almost any gathering skill but you will have to buy the mats or get them some other way. If you are in a guild, you can ask others to get the mats for you.

TasDarkmatter
09.04.2012 , 05:27 PM | #6
Crafting is that thing you do for lower level characters/companions..and friends. I did not get into crafting till my smuggler which only scavenged and sliced his way to lvl 50. Sent the materials to lower level characters for them to make stuff for their's and others level and others. And with Armortech, only can make armor with Cunning.

I have been able to craft a few items that help but this is only till I am able to outfit character/companion in orange equipment.

For me it seems that slicing and a gathering skill is bout the highlight of crafting...

Trickai
04.28.2014 , 05:30 AM | #7
I too am a new Smuggler and figured, as in most online games, that crafting at low levels would be a money sink since quests would likely provide better stuff than I could make.

I was thinking about taking 3 gathering skills...probably slicing, scavenging and bioanalysis. This should mean I don't have to spend any money on sending my character on missions and instead I would get stuff just from normal walking around and killing stuff.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have found a few threads that mention this is not a bad way to go for a first time character.

Jedi_riches
04.28.2014 , 08:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Trickai View Post
Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have found a few threads that mention this is not a bad way to go for a first time character.
It's not a bad way to go, my first character I went with Cybertech so I could make Armour and mod parts allong with earpeices.

I found that although I just about kept up to kit my character out, it's only since I nearly finished that character and have serveral alts (and money made from sale of cartel market peices) that I am finding it really useful as I can have fully upto date peices waiting in my alts mailbox as I go along especially I have already done the appropriate RE for the levels I want (except earpeices as they seem to take forever to craft with a faily low rate of success.

redfurry
04.28.2014 , 08:56 AM | #9
Armstech is actually nice, even whle leveling. But you will be making augments and barrels, forget about the weapons. Upgrading your blaster barrel, and your companion's, every 2 levels with a blue barrel will make you unstoppable, and they sell OK on the GTN. Low level blue augments and augment kits also sell nicely, although augment schematics are ungodly expensive.

Trickai
04.28.2014 , 11:48 AM | #10
I had several ideas, and still haven't decided on which way I will go.

I thought gathering:

Slicing, Bioanalysis, Scavenging

OR

Archeology, Bioanalyis, Scavening.

I also thought of doing 3 mission skills.

Underworld Trading, Investigation, Treasure Hunting

OR

Slicing and Underworld Trading and Treasure Hunting.

I want to make some money or get things that are useful to me, but I don't want to get all caught up in crafting which I really don't like. I either want to get things I can sell on GTN like mats, or stuff I can use myself like lockboxes or companion gifts.