Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercs, are we such a horrible class really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Mercs, are we such a horrible class really?

JakeTetra
09.04.2012 , 10:23 PM | #11
i didnt mean to sell it short, i do love my merc, and yes there usually are marauders juggs snipers in the raid aswell to interrupt so its not game breaking but i would like to be able interrupt as well, thats changing now which i am very happy about, when i said we don't bring a buff to our raid, again its not a huge issue but having a couple of marauders with bloodthirst and predation is always nice and we can't offer anything like that, its not something that would want to make me play another class though,

Kript 790k is pretty beast. im not completely sure but i would say its the top merc dps on dalborra for pvp

Henu
09.04.2012 , 11:18 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JakeTetra View Post
i didnt mean to sell it short, i do love my merc, and yes there usually are marauders juggs snipers in the raid aswell to interrupt so its not game breaking but i would like to be able interrupt as well, thats changing now which i am very happy about, when i said we don't bring a buff to our raid, again its not a huge issue but having a couple of marauders with bloodthirst and predation is always nice and we can't offer anything like that, its not something that would want to make me play another class though,

Kript 790k is pretty beast. im not completely sure but i would say its the top merc dps on dalborra for pvp
760k but thanks.
Kripty / Snips

Macroecon
09.06.2012 , 11:48 PM | #13
In a battle between low skill players, the Merc dps actually does really well. A low skill melee dps has trouble keeping his target within his frontal arc and within 4 meters. Thus the low skill melee dps loses a lot of GCDs. In contrast the low skill Merc dps has a much easier time keeping his target in range/facing. This single factor alone accounts for most of the success low skill players have with Merc dps vs. melee dps.

But once you get to higher skill players the Merc dps is clearly the worst subclass in the game. Higher skill players know how to use interrupts. They know how to use their defense abilities - and every dps subclass in the game has more defensive abilities than the Merc. Simply put, once a player is able to take advantage of the full spectrum of his toon's capability, the Merc falls to the bottom of the pile. The Merc's additional abilities such as combat rez and 2 healing spells are utterly worthless in a contested PvP environment.

Technohic
09.07.2012 , 06:13 AM | #14
I'm just leveling, but I will say I leveled an assassin, sniper and marauder previously, and so far it seems clear that, compared to the other DPS classes I have, mercs only advantages are

heavy armor, but that is a wash given the defensive cool\downs marauder and sniper have; although snipers CDs aren't great either, but if you count entrench, that is an awesome ability.

more mobile at range than a sniper(if by only a little, but that is mitigated by being leaped at. and pulled .

As far as having the ability to heal goes, it really doesn't help if you are not specced for it as you either get in the DPS race or you try the little healing you have as a DPS to simply delay your death a couple seconds. An anni marauder has more effective healing there as they are DPSing at the same time

Again. I am just leveling but I am comparing to what I saw leveling the other classes so take it for what its worth.