Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Unable to retrieve server list. Kthxbye."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
"Unable to retrieve server list. Kthxbye."
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Savro
09.04.2012 , 05:59 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Griffinous View Post
I very much doubt that your 'Senior Citizen' neighbours will be playing MMORPG's or be using anything that requires a constant, uninterupted internet connection.

They'll also be using a totally different line to the ISP.

If your issue is the occasional blip, they won't notice anything is wrong.

Why question it? Routers arn't meant to slip up. Get a new one. Contact your ISP, they may re-profile your line or supply you with a new router.
Why doi you question it? it is not the main problem, he's not asking to not be disconnected anymore... we are asking to not be forced to start the client again because the game close himself after a disconnect...

Malles
09.04.2012 , 07:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Savro View Post
Why doi you question it? it is not the main problem, he's not asking to not be disconnected anymore... we are asking to not be forced to start the client again because the game close himself after a disconnect...
This guy gets it.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Cyberberus
09.04.2012 , 10:58 AM | #13
This behavior is especially annoying when you also happen to be one of the people with the "unable to load application configuration" issues and have to REBOOT in order to get the launcher to run so a simple disconnect requires rebooting THEN relaunching etc.

As said ... its not the disconnect that's being discussed, its the self shutdown to desktop behavior of the game that's the issue.

Sutii
09.04.2012 , 11:54 AM | #14 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

For those of you that are experiencing any connection difficulties, we would first advise that you run through the steps in the following spoiler even though you may have tried some of them already:

Spoiler
Please also note we have found that the cause in many cases where a router is apparently resetting itself is a defective unit. In those cases we would recommend attempting to use another unit to test the connection, or should that not prove possible, contacting your ISP for further assistance.

Regarding the issue with a full client restart being required after the connection has been lost, unfortunately this is for security reasons and ensures that a secure connection is established by the account holder. I appreciate that this can be especially frustrating when you are in the middle of playing, however I can only advise that you head over to our Suggestion Box and share your thoughts there on how this may be modified in the future.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Savro
09.04.2012 , 12:39 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post

Regarding the issue with a full client restart being required after the connection has been lost, unfortunately this is for security reasons and ensures that a secure connection is established by the account holder. I appreciate that this can be especially frustrating when you are in the middle of playing, however I can only advise that you head over to our Suggestion Box and share your thoughts there on how this may be modified in the future.
Thanks for the "developer answer".
I thought thet there was the possibility of a secuity measure behind this "solution". but maybe a different solution should be looked for.

Malles
09.04.2012 , 03:39 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post

Thanks.
I bought a security key for that. Thanks for the response, though.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Sutii
09.04.2012 , 04:16 PM | #17 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello again Malles,

I appreciate that you've purchased a Security Key to enhance the security of your account, however do note that it only increases the security when actually logging in. When losing your connection and reconnecting, as you are establishing a new connection it must be treated as such hence the need to re-enter your login information once again.

As said, I can appreciate the frustration it may well cause, and so would recommend that you run through the steps outlined in my previous post to attempt troubleshooting the connection difficulties, as well as visiting out Suggestion Box to post your thoughts on how and why the system could be changed.

I hope this information is useful, if we can assist with anything else please let us know.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Jrea
04.12.2013 , 12:14 AM | #18
That's good advice but its a little complex for some people.

Even so, Disconnects are almost imposable to stop even if you follow all the steps above.The Game really shouldn't shut down just because you cant receive a server list. Its a lot quicker to wait for what ever is blocking you to clear up than to log back into the game.

For me it's;

1. Connection Drops, game goes to server list.
2." Message: You have been disconnected"
3. Click on server. temporary freeze, "Message: The Server list can not be retrieved".
4. I click "OK" or "x" and the game crashes to my desktop?
5. Open Launcher, enter password and key
6. Wait 2-3 min for the launcher to check for an update?????
7. Click play.

The game really needs to give everything a chance to reconnect before deciding its hopeless.