Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Unable to retrieve server list. Kthxbye."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
"Unable to retrieve server list. Kthxbye."
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Malles
09.03.2012 , 04:10 PM | #1
Every single time I disconnect this happens. I try to log back in, the game decides that's not working and kicks me right back to my desktop. Without fail. Then, I have to open the launcher, tell Windows for the umpteenth time that I do indeed want to open the program I double-clicked on, dig around for my security key, sit through the load screen, and log back in. Only to have to do the same thing twenty minutes later because my router lost the connection for one single second.

Literally no other online game I have played will completely shut down upon a disconnect. This is extremely irritating and I'd bet my next paycheck the majority of the player base agrees with me. It's over-complicating simple tasks like a reconnect that make people quit the game. Doesn't matter if it's a bug or "feature", please fix it.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.

Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Savro
09.03.2012 , 04:34 PM | #2
/signed

Griffinous
09.03.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Malles View Post
Every single time I disconnect this happens. I try to log back in, the game decides that's not working and kicks me right back to my desktop. Without fail. Then, I have to open the launcher, tell Windows for the umpteenth time that I do indeed want to open the program I double-clicked on, dig around for my security key, sit through the load screen, and log back in. Only to have to do the same thing twenty minutes later because my router lost the connection for one single second.

Literally no other online game I have played will completely shut down upon a disconnect. This is extremely irritating and I'd bet my next paycheck the majority of the player base agrees with me. It's over-complicating simple tasks like a reconnect that make people quit the game. Doesn't matter if it's a bug or "feature", please fix it.
Ok, so how about this.

Turn of Windows User Account Control to stop Windows re-confirming that you want to run the launcher. Also set Launcher.exe and SWTOR.exe to run as administrator at all times.

If you're disconnecting, then sort it out. It's clearly netowrk related, so use an ethernet cable, reboot your router and if that fails, get a new router or speak to your internet service provider so that they can actually supply you with the uninterupted internet service that you pay for.

Bioware has nothing to do with the way that your ISP supplies you, or how Windows over-protects you
Watercooled i7 2600k @5ghz, Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z with watercooled chipset, 16gb DDR3, Watercooled 4gb AMD Radeon HD6990, Creative X-Fi Champion Kingston Hyper X 256gb SSD 3x 23" LED monitors @ 5760x1080

Savro
09.03.2012 , 04:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Griffinous View Post
Ok, so how about this.
If you're disconnecting, then sort it out. It's clearly netowrk related, so use an ethernet cable, reboot your router and if that fails, get a new router or speak to your internet service provider so that they can actually supply you with the uninterupted internet service that you pay for.

Bioware has nothing to do with the way that your ISP supplies you, or how Windows over-protects you
Obviously they have nothing to do with the way that your ISP supplies any of us, what we are asking is to add a refresh button on the server list instead of closing the game because of a disconnect.

It's like firefox close himself because can't connect to a page... there is a refresh button on firefox, a refresh button on the swtor server list would be good too.

BTW it is not always ISP problem, sometimes is the BW server to disconnect ppl...

And, pls, do not be so rude...

Griffinous
09.03.2012 , 05:00 PM | #5
With respect, Firefox is an internet browser, not a AAA game
Watercooled i7 2600k @5ghz, Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z with watercooled chipset, 16gb DDR3, Watercooled 4gb AMD Radeon HD6990, Creative X-Fi Champion Kingston Hyper X 256gb SSD 3x 23" LED monitors @ 5760x1080

Savro
09.03.2012 , 05:03 PM | #6
With respect, Firefox is an internet browser, not a AAA game
This is obvious, this was simply ironic...

Malles
09.03.2012 , 05:36 PM | #7
Ok, so how about this.

Turn of Windows User Account Control to stop Windows re-confirming that you want to run the launcher. Also set Launcher.exe and SWTOR.exe to run as administrator at all times.

If it were an ISP problem, I'd have lag issues as well and wouldn't be able to log onto the forums to gripe about it because my senior citizen neighbors would come over to see if "my Internet" was gone too.

Since that's not happening, it's a game issue. Router slipped up, and while everything else requiring an online connection is working fine, SWTOR is trying to tell me the world just ended.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.

Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

TheFaolchu
09.04.2012 , 01:10 AM | #8
I challenge you to record a fraps video of you playing any online game, pull out your ethernet cable on your desktop for 1 second and show the game staying online.

Savro
09.04.2012 , 04:00 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheFaolchu View Post
I challenge you to record a fraps video of you playing any online game, pull out your ethernet cable on your desktop for 1 second and show the game staying online.
Noone is saying that the game has to remain online, you get disconnection from the server, and this is ok. but why the game has to close himself and ask for a new authentication instead of simply allowing you to click on your server again and then on your character?

Griffinous
09.04.2012 , 05:52 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Malles View Post
If it were an ISP problem, I'd have lag issues as well and wouldn't be able to log onto the forums to gripe about it because my senior citizen neighbors would come over to see if "my Internet" was gone too.

Since that's not happening, it's a game issue. Router slipped up, and while everything else requiring an online connection is working fine, SWTOR is trying to tell me the world just ended.
I very much doubt that your 'Senior Citizen' neighbours will be playing MMORPG's or be using anything that requires a constant, uninterupted internet connection.

They'll also be using a totally different line to the ISP.

If your issue is the occasional blip, they won't notice anything is wrong.

Why question it? Routers arn't meant to slip up. Get a new one. Contact your ISP, they may re-profile your line or supply you with a new router.