Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP sans griefing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP sans griefing?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

flyersfan
09.04.2012 , 10:39 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
PvP balances classes, people don't like it, but it would happen anyway, as it has even in purely PvE MMORPGs.
Not even just MMOs. ME3 has seen a bunch of balance patches as well.

Jiminison
09.04.2012 , 11:05 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by DevonDs View Post
That is fine on pvp servers. But when it is force flag ganking on pve servers I hope people log out, change to alts or go to other planets....let's work together to make sure wherever the ganksters are is an empty wasteland....and not let ourselves be baited into giving them the big world pvp they are trying to start....let's band together and defend our pve servers from pvp players...not by allowing them to goad us into gang retaliation but but making wherever they are barren of anything for their pvp pleasure to enjoy.
On the flip side those people who want to gank on pve servers need to come to a pvp server we need more people willing to fight for pvp sake. I have to agree that is totally weak to harass on an pve server.

Goretzu
09.04.2012 , 11:15 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
On the flip side those people who want to gank on pve servers need to come to a pvp server we need more people willing to fight for pvp sake. I have to agree that is totally weak to harass on an pve server.
Ganking on PvE servers tend almost always to be "Hmmm..... he/she is AFK and PvP flagged".
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Hessen
09.04.2012 , 11:21 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Ganking on PvE servers tend almost always to be "Hmmm..... he/she is AFK and PvP flagged".
Or "they are miles away from their base, they've fought through loads of mobs to get to their class quest green door, and just as they AOE the last mob of NPCs in front of the door, I'll stealth in to the aoe so it flags them for PvP then we'll spawn camp gank him"
Twisted
EU - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
16m Raiding Guild - Recruiting

Liquidacid
09.04.2012 , 11:24 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Or "they are miles away from their base, they've fought through loads of mobs to get to their class quest green door, and just as they AOE the last mob of NPCs in front of the door, I'll stealth in to the aoe so it flags them for PvP then we'll spawn camp gank him"
that sounds fun... well assuming I'm the done doing the ganking anyway
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Goretzu
09.04.2012 , 11:31 AM | #36
Yeah that too.

I think it's probably the concequence-less implimentation of most PvP in MMORPGs these days that adds too it. People were a lot more careful (and therefore polite) in the days of full coin and gear looting.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

RAVM
09.04.2012 , 12:21 PM | #37
If I had designed SWTOR, there wouldn't be PVE and PVP servers. They would all be PVP, everyone would be together on the same server (except the role players, I guess they still need their own), *but* it would still work for both groups.

Most contested planets would essentially be divided in three zones. One zone for republic, one for imperials, and one contested zone. Imps would not be able to get into republic zones and vice versa and those zones controlled by each faction would have the main planet missions and plenty of side missions.

The contested zones would have mostly NPCs hostile to both factions and there would also be plenty of missions having all players go there, but not vital to the main planet stories. So PVEers could stay out. There would also be a base or two for each faction in the contested zone with plenty of guards that could be attacked anytime. The best times in that otherwise snooze-fest of a game called WOW were when a huge Horde group attacked one of the Alliance bases.

At level 50 there would be three planets, one controlled by each faction entirely (other faction members couldn't go there), and a third contested planet like Ilum with the whole thing would be open to PVP.

uniz
09.04.2012 , 02:31 PM | #38
if done on a pve server you can and will get banned if reported. i know i have done it to a few of you. just go ahead and flag people on a pve server. i pride myself in getting you banned.

on a pvp server anything goes now days. it is what people want. just remember one thing. how many new mmo players who rolled on a pvp server are going to stay in a game when ever they go out a high level toons camps them over and over? at first they will just log off and say the game sucks, after a while they will quit but a few will go to a pve server. what can be fun for the experienced can deter many new mmo players from pvp. it is issues like these that stagnates pvp player and faction balance populations in mmos. no one wants to log in with the expectation to play a game only to be killed over and over by something they have no chance of defeating. you are only cutting your own throats when you make people log out of a game.

if you want challenging pvp just make it where you can loot one item off a persons body, remove any rewards from losing in a warzone and only get rewarded for killing "green" or higher player characters. limit one toon per server so no swapping gear back and forth. eq1 had a server like this where pvp was hard core and not a bunch of sissies killing lowbies thinking they are uber and then whine about class balance.

WarbNull
09.04.2012 , 02:50 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by RAVM View Post
If I had designed SWTOR, there wouldn't be PVE and PVP servers. They would all be PVP, everyone would be together on the same server (except the role players, I guess they still need their own), *but* it would still work for both groups.

Most contested planets would essentially be divided in three zones. One zone for republic, one for imperials, and one contested zone. Imps would not be able to get into republic zones and vice versa and those zones controlled by each faction would have the main planet missions and plenty of side missions.

The contested zones would have mostly NPCs hostile to both factions and there would also be plenty of missions having all players go there, but not vital to the main planet stories. So PVEers could stay out. There would also be a base or two for each faction in the contested zone with plenty of guards that could be attacked anytime. The best times in that otherwise snooze-fest of a game called WOW were when a huge Horde group attacked one of the Alliance bases.

At level 50 there would be three planets, one controlled by each faction entirely (other faction members couldn't go there), and a third contested planet like Ilum with the whole thing would be open to PVP.
I kind of like the sound of that.
Khai-Kun Legacy Shadowlands
Smuggler Gunslinger Saboteur
Jedi Consular Sage
Bounty Hunter PowerTech Pyrotech

SilentKitty
09.04.2012 , 03:35 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by RAVM View Post

Well, I would miss half my guild and my husband if it was only PvP, a lot of players simply don't like it. I would probably never even have started playing SWTOR if PvP was an requirement. I play PvP-games with guildies every now and then, it's fun if you are on vent. But I do not wish to see it out in the open world, then I focus on story. So a PvE-server with the possibility of a spot of PvP when I feel like it is perfect. Different people like different things as always.
Female Mandalorians who romanced Torian are missing his Resol'nare and Mando'a lessons conversations since 4.0 launched. Please fix this!