Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Drpineapples
09.06.2012 , 06:14 PM | #571
Good news.

MidichIorian
09.06.2012 , 07:26 PM | #572
Quote: Originally Posted by hunterraaze View Post
First off, what armor is that Sorc wearing?

The Sorc upgrades/downgrades are interesting, in some cases, I can see the cone being useful for PvE with crowd control, but on the other hand, like every one else has been saying, when i'm swarmed with mobs, I kind of rely on that to give me some breathing rooms, maybe make them two separate ability's? Cone having maybe more damage in the limited radius, then have the 360 do less damage, maybe? And this is just an idea, probably better off when they raise the level cap, but still throwing it out there, the Power tech/Vanguards ability, can't remember what they are called, but the ones that launch you at the target, with PT, it's through the jet pack, but those ability's, after you launch, you leave a trail of plasma/fuel (just using examples) and the trail stays for x amount of seconds, and can either damage anyone who walks through, reduce movement speed, or paralyze for the duration. Just an idea.
That effect could be auto-slow on all affected targets. That would have been really helpful considering that we often use FW while kiting, to make sure the target stays behind us.

leto_cleon
09.06.2012 , 08:12 PM | #573
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=528795 - Views specifically on the Force Wave / Overload changes (in terms of PVP).

I can't say I use Force Wave very much in PVE. For me as a Balance Shadow, its probably just an extra interrupt when doing the dailies.

The problem however with it becoming a 120 degree frontal cone is the easy at which it can be countered in PVP. There's now 240 degrees which can be utilised by melee DPS as a safe zone. Competent and smart melee DPS already don't come charging at you from the front, they come in from the side and the back to blindside you. Yes you can turn to face the cone, but simple decoy tactics and positioning counters can be employed against a 120 degree cone. Its also strange that some mention that skill when it comes to aiming an instant cone, as opposed to a simple 360 degree with delay. The ability delay already needed skill to use and time properly. Aiming and timing are apples and oranges really.

Lore wise, Force Wave / Force Repulse is a 360 degree ability, so limiting it to just 120 degrees does warrant a name change to like Force Arc and a redesign of the ability tile.

BlackSpin
09.06.2012 , 08:49 PM | #574
We get it; most of us can comprehend basic math. However, this change still RESULTS IN MORE STUNS, that are able to be applied to your character.

Being chain stunned and killed requires NO skill, and promotes a very frustrating environment. If you want to fix the wrecking DPS of a certain class.... FIX THE CLASS, and lower stun times.

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hey everyone - thanks for your feedback on the classes blog! We're reading your questions and concerns and will work on getting answers to some of the common ones. Today I spoke to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) and Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer) about the changes to Resolve in relation to coordinated and uncoordinated teams, which many of you have questions or concerns about.

First of all, please do keep in mind that reading about changes and experiencing them can be different. We are looking forward to your feedback once you've had some time to see these changes when the PTS becomes available!

In the live game, being affected by two stuns simultaneously only controls you for 4 seconds, but it gives you full Resolve. To be plain, this makes escaping a rampaging melee player very, very difficult. It's directly related to concerns we see regarding overpowered melee and them being inescapable. Going immune after only 4 seconds of control strongly favors the one being controlled.

LordArtemis
09.06.2012 , 09:13 PM | #575
Just make it work different in PVP, or create a new ability that only works in PVP and disable the other ones in PVP.

Wave and Stealth are iconic early specials that can not be modified. You might as well remove lightsabers. Wave is a 360 degree special and stealth works as a quick in and out ability. That is how it is in most games that have a stealth mechanic and that is how it should work here.

Thats only for PVE...the PVP changes make sense, although reducing the range on the stun seems to be a bit...odd. At any rate you just cant do it.

Its not that you want to and will...you cant. Its an iconic ability. You cant just change iconic abilities and expect your majority playerbase to be fine with it. Its a silly move. One that will likely cost you more than you gain.

Stop making these kind of silly decisions. Enough already with trying to destroy your own game. Its time to get with the program.

-Slaughterhouse-
09.06.2012 , 10:13 PM | #576
To make a change specific to PVP, that will affect PVE, without consideration of how it will effect PVE, is sad.

A game, that has so many borders, can't delineate a border between PVP and PVE?!?

We can't talk to reps side in tells, and we have seperate Fleets, we have seperate armor, for PVP and PVE, but you can't seperate skills in PVP and PVE?

I like to PVP, but i hate when one game type takes priority over another, in a game that has many playtypes.

1.4 just sounds bad. Fix and add stuff to current game, that are much more needed, rather than to break pve for the sake of pvp.

Btw, who the heck is this guy? His Release Notes, read like a conference call between two programmers, rather than an announcement to a general audience of gamers of widely varied technical knowledge of gamer geekspeak.

Add guild email. Add Guild Bind Points, Add Open World PvP with LFG. Add Multiplayer space combat with free movement. Add Crafting that is relevant at level 50(other than Biochem), Add more armor that is craftable(orange),
Add in game voice,ect ect ect

Stop tweaking little stuff, when you have so many BIG issues, to address.

Stop breaking stuff no one had a problem with.
Join Dark Ops
Blastfield - Dark Ops - Guildmaster
The Harbinger Server - Sith - PVE
http://darkops.enjin.com

Sir_Galapagos
09.06.2012 , 10:18 PM | #577
this doesn't really help scoundrel dps because now we can just run away after we do crappy damage.
what they should do i something like
1. increase armor penetration from flechette round like it used to be
2. make sucker punch cost no energy
3.lower the backblast cd like it used to be
4.increase the total chance for flying fists to return a proc like it used to be

and that guys who said healers were squishy its just because the whole other team is (should be) on you . i'll let you in on a secret though healers can HEAL themselves.
]█=]]]]]]▒▒▒{█=████████████████████████████████)

Sir_Galapagos
09.06.2012 , 10:36 PM | #578
Quote: Originally Posted by agsyjuco View Post
Finally! A scrapper buff!

Thank you!!!
not really much of a buff

Erupit
09.06.2012 , 10:37 PM | #579
... You did not buff Infiltration Shadows in PvP with this patch, you know that right? You didn't even give us anything worthwhile to atone for taking 20 meters off our most useful PvP ability. Slowing a target that was hit with Spinning Kick is somewhat helpful for Voidstar and Huttball, but otherwise basically useless. Making Project no longer consume the two-stack proc from Clairvoyant Strike is not useful in any way - it only changes our progressions minutely, to be honest. The change to Infiltration Tactics is by far the most useful thing given to Infiltration Shadows, however it isn't ultimately a game-changer. Our DPS will still be dwarfed by Gunslingers, Sentinels, "Dirty Fighting" Scoundrels, and most notably, Vanguards. (cough... 1.4 million damage in a warzone is pathetically unbalanced, I don't care if the match lasts 15 minutes... cough).

So, with a lower cooldown on Force Speed and a buff to Shadow Strike (when triggered), you guys are justifying nerfing Force Wave and Force Stun HARD?

The worst part is that you REALLY DO think you're buffing Infiltration Shadows with this - and henceforth we'll never get the necessary damage buffs we need to be even remotely comparable to the above mentioned inherently FAR SUPERIOR dps classes. Our ship has sailed.

You hate Infiltration Shadows and Deception Assassins, don't you? Just come out and admit it so we can stop pushing ourselves so hard to barely reach mediocrity when compared with a Vanguard.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild

Sir_Galapagos
09.06.2012 , 10:43 PM | #580
Quote: Originally Posted by kjng View Post
Having read the changes, I am borderline happy/indifferent to the changes for 1.4, except for the force stun range reduction.

I have a shadow tank, and the only skills that have 30m range are force pull and force stun. Both of these have relatively long cooldowns. For warzones that have objectives where opponents have to arm/disarm/slice, I use these two skills to interrupt caps from 30m. By reducing the range of force stun to 10m, I will only have one skill that has a 30m range, and with a long cooldown (45s as compared to a knight/warrior 15s 30m charge).

As such, relative to other classes, even knights/warriors, shadows will be the most affected by the range reduction of force stun. Our ability to interrupt caps will be next to non-existent.

I know that this post will probably be ignored by most players and all BW developers, but if by any chance someone from BW do read this, kindly consider how the range reduction will have a considerable effect on shadows/assassins.

My suggestion is to keep the range of force stun to 30m, but the stun being effective only at 10m. This will be in line with the intentions of the developers, as well as allowing shadows/assassins to better emergency cap interrupt.
theres this thing called force speed it increase your speed. use this ability to close the gap so you can use your 10 meter abilities and stop whining.