Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sundragon
09.06.2012 , 07:47 AM | #541
Quote: Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Thank you for this response. It's very informative.

I now understand that BioWare views the ability to be stun-locked-killed to be 'working as intended.' This is very helpful information because it explains why class balance has gotten worse, not better, since launch. It also tells me that I cannot expect that class balance will ever improve because the SWTOR developers do not understand PvP.

Thank you for explaining this to me. I am now in a better position to decide when to unsubscribe from SWTOR.
Exactly. Their way of getting overpowered classes "balanced" is to assume you will just stun-lock them and kill them, presumably with underpowered classes. Of course, it is entirely possible that the overpowered classes can also stun lock the underpowered classes as well (and kill them even faster), but that's not considered because there is no need to stunlock an underpowered class since it is underpowered......thus the classes are balanced.

See the logic! Learn the logic! Live the logic!
█||||()||||█Ξ███████████████████)

Surbatu
09.06.2012 , 07:55 AM | #542
buffing operatives and shadows???
stun wars are so fun, even TOO fun for me
BW have no clues whats going on with their game at all

Peregrine_Falcon
09.06.2012 , 07:58 AM | #543
Quote: Originally Posted by Sundragon View Post
See the logic! Learn the logic! Live the logic!
You can't imagine how much I want to disagree with you. How much I want to make a sarcastic comment and then ask how you could believe that professional game developers, of the caliber that BioWare is known for, could possibly be that stupid.

But I just can't. Because, unfortunately, I think you're right. *sigh*
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Persephonee
09.06.2012 , 08:12 AM | #544
Quote:
New Sorcerer/Sage ability, Unnatural Preservation/Force Mend: Heal yourself for a moderate amount. Only usable on yourself. Instant, costs no Force, 30-second cooldown. This ability is trainable at level 18.
Is it easier to add another ability for sorcs to juggle instead of giving us a CD for our force regen instead of making us cannibalize ourselves?

I am not happy with several of the recent upcoming changes, nor am I happy about the legacy name no longer being unique.

I usually just roll with the changes, regardless.... but at some point I have to wonder if it has become some kind of game to see just how much long time subscribers will deal with and keep paying.... I can almost make out 3 guys standing around saying, yea.. did you see that ****? That #$&&% went off hardcore yo... We kicked the **** out of his game, beat him up and then he bent over and handed us another $15!

I am just so sad....
SithPanda

NoaFlux
09.06.2012 , 08:14 AM | #545
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffIncredible View Post
The change to overload to be instant is huge, don't know how many times i've started the animation and got kb'd myself only to still have overload go off wherever I landed.
This is the kind of stuff that makes modern games cheap. It remind me of on HALO how you just glide around instead of actually walk. I don't even feel like I'm playing a game..it feels like I have cheats on...it's really lame. In addition, and to be fair to other classes, this gives them a chance to stop your ability. That's a good thing. I want the game to be fair for everyone not just me. That adds depth, and uniqueness. An instant FW is cheap in action and look.

Did I mention it will look stupid? I liked jumping in to the air, it was fun and looked powerful. I never had a problem being prevented from using it either.

NoaFlux
09.06.2012 , 08:20 AM | #546
Quote: Originally Posted by sncommand View Post
i actually think this will help sorc and sage survivability immensely, we're given a escape ability which removes all roots and snares and grant immunity from them, we're given a instant self heal, and lastly our alacrity modifier grants now immunity to interrupts, finally i can lay down my heavy fire without getting interrupted halfway
Believe me I already have these things as a consular and I'm still squishy, in addition the self heal doesn't help that much.

I'm pretty sure they're just giving the Sage some of our abilities.

LarryRow
09.06.2012 , 08:31 AM | #547
Quote: Originally Posted by DJ_Viron View Post
No updates for Juggs/Gaurds huh? Figures, at this point I should be used to being forgotten.
I know. Our force sweep / smash needs the same animation treatment as Force Wave. The delay on this ability makes it unacceptably buggy.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Reiskax
09.06.2012 , 08:38 AM | #548
so far looks good but I cant get the feeling that someting is missing out of my head....oh yea....PT nerf? Are they going to be in 1.4 aswell or do u just plan to tell them later this week/in the near future before the patch?

Darth_Philar
09.06.2012 , 10:09 AM | #549
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

The only difference here is that the enemy is never treated to undue Resolve gains. Resolve gain always matches the amount of absolute control time. Two coordinated players can control a target as long as ever, but no longer than ever before.
I'm going to have to (kind of) dispute that claim.

The maximum time spent in mezzes is currently 16 seconds.

The maximum time spent in mezzes will go up to 17 seconds as a result of this change.

To get to 17 seconds, Team A does the following:
1. Player 1 Uses Mezz - Target is mezzed for 8 seconds and receives 800 Resolve (100 per second)
2. Wait 1 Second
3. Player 2 Uses Mezz - Target is mezzed for 8 seconds, but 7 are wasted leaving total time in mezz at 9 seconds. Target receives 100 Resolve bringing total to 900 Resolve.
4. Wait 8 Seconds
5. Player 3 Uses Mezz - Target is mezzed for 8 seconds granting 800 Resolve, plus 400 bonus Resolve to the 900 Resolve for a total Resolve of 2100.

Total time spent in Mezz is 1+8+8=17

I should point out that this requires 3 players to pull off, instead of the 2 that normally are required to run a mezz chain. But the fact remains that the maximum time spent controlled will go up as a result.
Server: The Fatman
Philar - Corruption Sorcerer - Level 50 | Satarel - Rage Marauder - Level 50
Geheime - Concealment Operative - Level 20 | Zahhak - Arsenal Mercenary - Level 17

gpassucc
09.06.2012 , 10:11 AM | #550
As a jugg in pvp I am personally not looking forward to these changes. Have the devs ever tried to kill a sorc/sage in pvp with a competent tank with them? It's very difficult. One of the main problems I have noticed in this game, especially pvp is not a lack of balance but a lack of competence on the part of the players in utilizing the balanced mechanics. My rage DPS jugg routinely gets 70k protection in pvp just from spamming taunts whenever they are off cd. Doesn't impact my dps at all but saves healer's lives.

On another note being stunned more is going to be terrible. As a melee character I already stunned about 50% of the time I am alive and resolve changes will make melee characters even more ineffective. Not a fan of these patch notes at all and really disappointed. There are many good things about swtor but they really need to do more research before making changes.