Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nitaliya_Torel's Avatar


Nitaliya_Torel
09.05.2012 , 10:55 AM | #401
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
or, you know, you can change up your play style and survive even longer?

instead of wave->speed, you can now speed->jump->turn->wave, and knock them even further away?
do you even play a sage, obviously not because that is imposable to do as a sage because everyone on the field is targeting you. go back to playing your ranged class.

iamglass's Avatar


iamglass
09.05.2012 , 11:00 AM | #402
Quote: Originally Posted by Nitaliya_Torel View Post
do you even play a sage, obviously not because that is imposable to do as a sage because everyone on the field is targeting you. go back to playing your ranged class.
run back 5-10 steps, overload, turn around, force speed, LoS. Simpler, enemies get pushed further away from you, ranged would be too far to get hit by overload anyway.

Ashlynn_Freesun's Avatar


Ashlynn_Freesun
09.05.2012 , 11:07 AM | #403
Quote: Originally Posted by iamglass View Post
run back 5-10 steps, overload, turn around, force speed, LoS. Simpler, enemies get pushed further away from you, ranged would be too far to get hit by overload anyway.
Where do you see in that thread that it knocks the target back further? It is the same distance but instead of knocking targets all the way around you, you are now limited to using FORCE WAVE on targets IN FRONT of you.

iamglass's Avatar


iamglass
09.05.2012 , 11:15 AM | #404
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashlynn_Freesun View Post
Where do you see in that thread that it knocks the target back further? It is the same distance but instead of knocking targets all the way around you, you are now limited to using FORCE WAVE on targets IN FRONT of you.
Doubled range (15 from 8). I didn't mean the actual KB is further, but because everyone is knocked in the same direction, the overall distance from you and all the melee people hitting you is further, especially if you then turn around and run. Sorry for not being very specific about what i meant. And if you take 10 or so steps back quickly, all targets should be relatively in front of you, at least in that 120 degree cone, unless they react very quickly and stop running around in circles.

belhawk's Avatar


belhawk
09.05.2012 , 11:20 AM | #405
my objection is that i respec-ed my sorc last night, so i have lost my free respec! now if i respec it will cost me ;(
cpu: intel i7 3820 w/8 gigs ram monitor: Dell 24" U 2711
gpu: 2x eVGA gtx 680 w/331.65 o/s: Win 7 64 bit
audio: X-FI Fatal1ty Recon3D case: CM Storm

oredith's Avatar


oredith
09.05.2012 , 11:22 AM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by belhawk View Post
my objection is that i respec-ed my sorc last night, so i have lost my free respec! now if i respec it will cost me ;(
you realize the respec cost reduces over time, right? wait a week, and it'll be free again.

also, when 1.4 hits, you'll have your talents refunded to you.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Sundragon's Avatar


Sundragon
09.05.2012 , 11:26 AM | #407
Quote: Originally Posted by iamglass View Post
About the change to AoE Overload:
You know it's still possible to take like 5 steps back and hit most if not all the people attacking you with the Overload, THEN turn around and run away instead. The range has been increased to 15 from 8 in case most of you missed that. This effectively means that all your targets will be pushed away from you as your run instead of having them haphazardly tossed around you.
1) Take 5 steps backwards and hit most if not all the people attacking you? Uhh, before I didn't have to move and hit 100% of the people attacking me. Furthermore, you assume that I can just move 5 steps backwards and my enemy will just stand still.....this is not realistic. Plus, every enemy player KNOWS that it is only frontal arc, so they all are going to try their best to remain on my side/back. This isn't PvE.

2) I have to take 5 step backwards, turn, instant-overload (GCD activates), THEN TURN AGAIN UNLESS I WANT TO RUN INTO THE ENEMY THAT I JUST KNOCKED BACK, and then run. Furthermore, if I'm just knocking back 1 attacker, the guy I just knocked back 15m is now out of my range for a stun, but he can still leap to me or range attack me. ***?

3) The enemy was never "haphazardly tossed around you" as you claim. The enemy was always tossed directly away from you depending upon their position relative to yours. I always knew where the enemy was going to land when I hit overload. I also never said to myself after an overload "oh jeez, i didn't mean to hit that particular enemy". Trust me, I mean to hit ALL OF THEM.

Clearly a lot of people want to chime in about the changes that don't have a freaking clue about PvP as a DPS sorc. It was tough enough and took tons of skill to make it as a DPS sorc, but doing well and occassionally winning a 1v1 encounter really meant a lot to me because I knew it was skill/gear related and not because I'm overpowered. I play other classes as well, but I don't get the satisfaction when I win 1v1 because I know some of my other classes are stupidly overpowered. Only my DPS sorc provided that satisfaction; doing well with an underpowered class. Now, it goes from being underpowered to a joke with even less survivability.

I cancelled my account on these changes but I just still am fuming over them. I want to have a DPS sorc that is competitive, and I suppose by posting on these forums maybe someone at Bioware will wake up and realize what they've done, undo the changes, boost some of the DPS abilities or something so that the class is somewhat desired in RWZ groups. Post 1.4, I assure you nobody will want a DPS sorc in their RWZ group.
█||||()||||█Ξ███████████████████)

DarthVladamir's Avatar


DarthVladamir
09.05.2012 , 11:31 AM | #408
So basically you give the immune to interrupts to sages like I have wanted for so long but you give it to the skill tree no one uses in PVP?? People either play madness/balance or corruption/seer and the healers, since ALL of our heals worth ANYTHING are casted or channeled AND with all the crap your doing to resolve, not to mention the number of stuns, interrupts, knockbacks and anything else I am missing, is really going to make sorc/sage healers disappear in PVP even more than they already have.

On force speed are you going to keep the talent that will spec that down 10sec so it would be from 20 to 10?

Seems like instead of focusing on the skills tree that needed to be worked on for PVP "healing tree" you decided to buff up the tree that hardly anyone uses but in PVE. SO again you fix a problem that doesn't exist. Thanks for that
Kycado and Varyis
Renegade Grey, The Harbinger, Republic Guild

Bedrayne's Avatar


Bedrayne
09.05.2012 , 11:32 AM | #409
Quote: Originally Posted by DMSL View Post
What i don't understand is why we need another ability for this. Woulden't it be better to rework electro dart and cryo grenade to have a viable interrupt for both Bounty Hunter and Trooper classes?

I.e. lower the cooldown and turn it into an interrupt/stun where applicable. So on a boss it works as an interrupt and on regular mobs it stuns them for the normal duration. Also the range, 10 metres is way too close, remember these are ranged classes. Adding a new ability just wastes more space on the player's action bars.
Having the stun and interrupt on the same spell would be pure fail. Either you would have an interrupt on a one minute cooldown (useless) or a stun on a 6-12 sec cooldown (way too op)

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
09.05.2012 , 11:34 AM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by lexiekaboom View Post
Leave sents and marauders crazy unbalanced because NO ONE AT ALL is complaining about them ever.
But they're not crazy unbalanced. My Shadow, Sniper and Scoundrel can all attest to this. Quit QQing and L2P.

Quote: Originally Posted by lexiekaboom View Post
Continue to allow the highest DPS class in PVP to be a tank because, again, NO ONE AT ALL thinks this is stupid and everyone would like people in heavy armour to continue to be unstoppable DPS machines.
But the highest DPS class in PvP is not a Tank, unless you mean crit. Sure Juggs can crit huge 8-9K with Smash, but they are largely a one trick pony and those major crits are relatively rare.

Quote: Originally Posted by lexiekaboom View Post
Make ganking more common by increasing the power of stealth.
I agree with you on this point. This will be a major problem in 1.4 if the Stealth changes go through as stated. The access to frequent in-combat Stealth should be the sole province of just a few ACs that rely on it for survivability and surprise. There is too much Stealth in this game already. We don't need more.


Quote: Originally Posted by Asmok View Post
They should call this game Stealth Wars , form what they have said. gurantee it your gonna see people hitting and leaving more and more, stealth classes every where now. . You thought it was bad now with all groups of stealthers now? they gave them a increase in there ability to use it more often so ya good game on that one.
You are absolutely correct. They need to implement the Stealth change to specific Infiltration/Deception/Concealment/Scrapper ACs only.


Quote: Originally Posted by WushuDragon_ View Post
I figured that be quite obvious. Electrodart is instant, where as the others have casting times. it basically comes down to...instant=10m or CastingTime=30m
Not just that. But notice BW is forcing hard stun usage into closer quarters fighting. This is a good change.


Quote: Originally Posted by bobmcbo View Post
As a mercenary healer, I like the sound of this.
You should. Merc/Commando Healers will likely be OP after 1.4, even moreso than Sawbones/Ops healers.


Quote: Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
All I see on these boards today are f'ing crybabies that arent thinking before they type.
Pretty much. Instead of a Run of the Bulls, this thread has become a Run of the Bads. They can't read, can't think, and can't adapt. All they know how to do is QQ.


Quote: Originally Posted by Vemtaz View Post
Seriously, I'm done. Back to real life for me...
The changes listed are proposed changes, they are not official Patch notes yet. It's a Dev journal most likely issued to get feedback from the community. Anyone that quits the game because of this is a clown.
Conqueror Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphawood - Guardian | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Battlemaster Alphafett - Mercenary
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!