Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vandicus
09.04.2012 , 01:44 PM | #91
Love the class changes. Mercenaries finally get an interrupt.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Stormbourne
09.04.2012 , 01:45 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Foobert View Post
Vanguards are not supposed to be long ranged anyway. Why are you out at 30m when your burst dps is 4-10m and on top of that, the optimal tank distance is 10m (so that you can draw fire from both ranged and melee classes).
this ^
"Well, I assure you, I see more grey than dark or light. I'm just a stubborn old man, tired of the foolishness of others."
―Jolee Bindo, to Revan

jcurri
09.04.2012 , 01:47 PM | #93
Soooooo not fixing Pyrotechs/ AS Vanguards?

... guess I'll have to roll one.
The Jerreck Legacy:
Ayden Cracen Maxan Aylen
Mascen Slyphe Unlimited'Powah Smoakey

Leader of Ghost

ElitehunterDS
09.04.2012 , 01:49 PM | #94
Now that's something i wanted to see for a while now, thank you Bioware.
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)

ArchangelLBC
09.04.2012 , 01:50 PM | #95
The way I read it is the knockback is unchanged but we're getting a nerf to Cryo, which doesn't matter because if there's something you want to stun it's probably already in 4m.

Commando changes are VERY welcome in PVE, especially the interrupt, but that interrupt falls into the "should have been in from day 1 category". The reduced cast time to AMP with full charged barrel stacks is nice but the heal is kinda wimpy in DPS spec and is on a 15s cooldown.

Basically these changes don't do much to make commandos viable in PVP, though hell at least now we can interrupt healers.

Shadow changes should encourage some more Infiltration play which I think is definitely a good thing, and having a 2 minute cooldown instead of a 3 minute cooldown on combat stealth is a great change in my opinion.

Don't know enough about Operative play to comment on the changes there.

Will need to see 1.4 patch notes in full to really absorb the rest of what they're doing, but this update seems to make several updates to PVP while leaving PVE mostly alone which is good, and again I love the interrupt, but outside of the changes to stealth gameplay I don't really see that they've addressed any of the real problems in PVP at all.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

jcurri
09.04.2012 , 01:51 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Angryshooter View Post
this ^^ i totally agree, 10m is too short, i could manage 20m, but 10 no way, how am i supposed to play a commando/mercenary now?
At least you can actually interrupt someone planting or capping at 30M by shooting your basic attack at them... how is my shadow supposed to accomplish this with NO attacks now at 30m?? And before anyone says "pull", not all shadows have this... and even so, it's a 45 sec cool down.
The Jerreck Legacy:
Ayden Cracen Maxan Aylen
Mascen Slyphe Unlimited'Powah Smoakey

Leader of Ghost

DjSnazzyduds
09.04.2012 , 01:51 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by jcurri View Post

Lmao! My thoughts exactly!
The Abrams Legacy
Absolut 60 Sorcerer | Shazzra 60 Operative | Zelkinege 55 Mercenary | Ozur'jek 60 Juggernaut

oredith
09.04.2012 , 01:52 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by jcurri View Post

glass cannon working as designed.
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Peregrine_Falcon
09.04.2012 , 01:52 PM | #99
Healers are already too squishy in PvP and now you nerfed their survivability even further by turning Overload and Force Wave into cones. Really?

"The way control abilities were designed encouraged this behavior, and the resulting gameplay could be frustrating."
How do you not understand that making Resolve build slower is only going to increase the frequency of the already frustrating and rage-quit inducing stun-locking in PvP?

And you're doing it because it'll benefit unorganized PuGs? How do you not realize that anything that makes things easier for unorganized PuGs will benefit organized pre-made teams even more? This will only further increase the performance gap between PuGs and pre-mades. Which means more frustration and rage-quitting on PuGs, which means the organized PvPers have even less opposition to fight against.

I truly don't mean to sound rude Mr. Peckenpaugh, but do you actually PvP in this game? I don't mean against your fellow developers but against real organized players? I ask because I do and while I'm far from being one of the best PvPers in this game (not even close), even I can see how these changes will only makes things worse.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Nrock
09.04.2012 , 01:53 PM | #100
"In addition, while Overload and Force Wave make for great escape abilities, they have done so previously at a cost to the overall PvP experience. What we want for these abilities is to create distance between you and your target(s), but what frequently occurs is a bad experience for incidental nearby enemies that aren’t your intended target(s)"

What!? Go find me a sorc or sage that didn't intend to hit all nearby targets with those abilities? So now when i am trying to heal and I've got 3 ppl running around me attacking, i will have to be facing them to hit them? And what about in PVE i won't be able to run in the middle of a mob and knock them all flying? Idk, this seems stupid to me. I've never complained about being knocked back by that ability, that's what it does. Idk tho, maybe its just me. i really don't see the big deal with how it is now.
Roc'o | Roheen
<< Council of Draay | Order of Ieldis >>
Order of Illuminatus Gaming Community
Now recruiting forces for both the Republic and Empire on the Ebon Hawk server!