Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When can i start doing HMs?

imperialmerc
08.31.2012 , 04:23 PM | #11
I tanked Battle of Ilum HM in level 45 Oranges with only two wipes on Drinda Zel/Velasu Graege.
Lagro level 55 Mercenary Sezzid level 55 Vanguard
Cezzid level 55 Operative Tuckeer level 30 Gunslinger
Snefru level 55 Sith Juggernaut Kell'ia level 23 Jedi Sage
Liadra level 14 Sith Assassin You're going down

SintheSinthe
09.03.2012 , 09:34 PM | #12
I find it interesting that so many people responding here are OK with recruit-level gear.. One time when I queued into LI (not understanding that it was more difficult than other SM's) and one time doing HM Esseles, I got gear snobbed in a mix of recruit and BM gear. The LI group scolded me for needing so much more attention from the healer, creating slack that the tank and other DPS had to make up for, etc because I was ill-geared (yeah, I was the problem. Not the idiot tank that couldn't stay out of the circles/bubbles and kept dying). The Esseles folks were nice enough to leave it at "healer, pay attention to Sinthe since she's under-geared" and I did fine. Granted, both times I queued in (maybe my guild would have been more accommodating?), but it kinda puts me off running them without a better PVE set. I don't like feeling like a burden, and it's unfair to my group mates if I actually am a burden.

Errr, sorry about the lack of helpful advice, OP. Maybe get with a good guild (assuming you aren't already) that will guide you in this regard? People in GF can be ******es.

Flaminica
09.03.2012 , 09:48 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SintheSinthe View Post
I find it interesting that so many people responding here are OK with recruit-level gear.. One time when I queued into LI (not understanding that it was more difficult than other SM's) and one time doing HM Esseles, I got gear snobbed in a mix of recruit and BM gear. The LI group scolded me for needing so much more attention from the healer, creating slack that the tank and other DPS had to make up for, etc because I was ill-geared (yeah, I was the problem. Not the idiot tank that couldn't stay out of the circles/bubbles and kept dying). The Esseles folks were nice enough to leave it at "healer, pay attention to Sinthe since she's under-geared" and I did fine. Granted, both times I queued in (maybe my guild would have been more accommodating?), but it kinda puts me off running them without a better PVE set. I don't like feeling like a burden, and it's unfair to my group mates if I actually am a burden.

Errr, sorry about the lack of helpful advice, OP. Maybe get with a good guild (assuming you aren't already) that will guide you in this regard? People in GF can be ******es.
I'm glad your team was good-natured about it. I'm not a gear snob but I just bailed tonight for the first time ever on an HM Foundry with a Juggernaut tank who turned up in full Recruit. Frankly he was useless. He had 15k hp, took huge bursts of damage in trash fights and was incapable of maintaining aggro. Not all hard modes are created equal. Maybe he could have handled Boarding Party with the Sorc face-tanking and me propping him up, but Foundry? Nuh-uh.
Spearshakers
||

Brittaany_Banks
09.03.2012 , 11:22 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
All HMs are doable in Recruit Gear, but obviously better gear will make them easier. But if you want recommend or minimum gear levels then here we go.

The easiest HMs (at least for the Republic) are Teral V and Maelstrom Prison (I don't know about their Imperial counterparts). Recruit Gear or even lvl 50 Orange or Purples should easily cope with these (especially considering how much trash you can skip).
The Esseles too is easily doable in Recruit although a bit of Tioneese or Battlemaster is going to make a couple of the bosses easier to deal with.
Battle of Ilum and False Emperor are a little tougher and you might find anything less that Tioneese or BM may come up a little short, especially since a couple of the bosses turn into to a DPS race.
Kaon Under Siege is a lot tougher, you need a good Tank or the mobs will simply overwhelm you. Full Tioneese of BM with a couple of bits of Columi or War Hero should be more than sufficient though.
And Finally there's Lost island, which has many people running away crying about how they need full Rakata to beat the Droid Boss. Well you don't, sure better gear helps, it always does, but Lost island is like a mini operation, it's all about the mechanics, get them right and you'll pull through regardless of gear, get them wrong and no amount of Rakata can save you. Full Columi or WH should be easily up to the challenge.

If you're really worried about your gear in HMs, then my advice is as follows:
1. Get that Recruit Set and use it.
2. Play PvP and get some BM
3. If you got a free 25 Black Hole commendations from server transfers, go and run the Black Hole Weekly once and get another 6, this will give you enough to buy a piece of BH gear.
4. Start running Teral V and maelstrom Prison, to get the Tioneese Crystals and Commendations
5. Do the HM Daily and Weekly missions to get Columi Comms
6. Try and run the HMs with guild mates or people you play with regularly and who have experience with the HM mechanics.
7. Finally and most importantly HAVE FUN
OP DO NOT do HM Flashpoints in pvp gear. I don't care what these people say. PvP gear is for PvP. The expertise rating does not factor into PvE content therefore all you are doing is limiting your damage output. PvE gear has less stats than PvE gear.

Mod yourself a complete set of orange gear with mods from daily quests, and what you can buy off the mission support vendor.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

TheNegotiator
09.03.2012 , 11:40 PM | #15
Full orange gear with vendor bought armoring and mods from Illum/Belsavis vendor. There is no reason to do regular flash points.

DeevBach
09.04.2012 , 12:04 AM | #16
I'd say full Orange with purple 50s would be a good start point to get into the easier ones (Taral V, MP). Run some dailies for a couple weeks, and try to do several Darkness on Ilum and Lesson Learned for the Ehancements and Mods. Once you start doing the easier HM's regularly, you will start to get Tionese level gear from crystals and comms very quickly. You will also probably get some unassembled drops as well.
"I've got a bad feeling about this"

PaintSticks
09.04.2012 , 02:11 AM | #17
Thanks for all the replys guys! What would be a good hardmode to try first? Does it really matter?

DeevBach
09.04.2012 , 03:02 PM | #18
Taral V is by far the easiest for the Republic side. Most runs I go on people skip all but 2 of the bosses, but I bet if you asked nicely and explained you needed gear it wouldn't be a problem for most groups to stop and do another boss or two for Tionese crystals. Here is a rough order of the Republic side HM FP's:

1. Taral V
2. Maelsrom Prison
3. The Esseles
4. Battle for Ilum
5. False Emporer
6. Directive 7
7. Kaon under Siege
8. Lost Island
"I've got a bad feeling about this"

Infalliable
09.06.2012 , 06:47 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SintheSinthe View Post

LI is going to be hard in recruit gear. It's just a difficult flashpoint.

Many people want blow through the flashpoints when queuing, so they see a lesser geared person and get all bent out of shape b/c it's not going to be trivial. If you get a group in rakata gear or better, you can pretty much just breeze through any of the teir 1 hardmode flashpoints.

These flashpoints were all originally done after launch in blue L50 gear or gear stuffed with daily comms, as that was all that was available in the gear progression. Now, you're pretty much assured one person in the group is going to be full rakata gear or better, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Recruit gear is pretty much the same as daily comms gear, and MUCH easier to get. It's perfectly fine to do any of the non-Lost Island flashpoints and story mode EV.

It probably goes without saying that these gear recommendations assume you know your class, your role, and the mechanics of the fights. Most of the mechanics are pretty straight forward and can be explained quickly, but the minimum gear recommendations don't give much room for poor play/errors.

Kitru
09.06.2012 , 08:31 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
Recruit gear is pretty much the same as daily comms gear, and MUCH easier to get. It's perfectly fine to do any of the non-Lost Island flashpoints and story mode EV.
While I think that you *can* do HM FPs in Recruit gear without making hurting your group too much, I wouldn't get even remotely close to saying that it's pretty much the same as daily comms gear. Recruit gear spends a massive amount of the comparative itemization on Expertise, which is completely worthless for PvE. A tank in full recruit gear is going to have noticeably low shield, absorb, and defense compared to a tank in fresh leveling blues thanks to the poor budgeting. They might have *marginally* better K/E DR thanks to the higher armor from the higher rating, but it's not gonna make up for it. The drop in rating from 128 to 124 is *more* than made up for by the fact that you're properly itemized.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.