Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor vs Emperor(s)

eatmehsaber
08.30.2012 , 06:05 PM | #1
Who is the greatest sith emperor to have ever lived

ToEasy
08.30.2012 , 06:08 PM | #2
I would say Darth Sidious, because he was able to destroy the jedi order and tranform the galactic republic into the Galactic empire.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

crazysam
08.30.2012 , 06:18 PM | #3
Greates Emperor would be vitiate as it seems he ruled FAR longer thant Sidious. Sidious' reign only lasted around 20 years...

Aurbere
08.30.2012 , 07:07 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by crazysam View Post
Greates Emperor would be vitiate as it seems he ruled FAR longer thant Sidious. Sidious' reign only lasted around 20 years...
And yet he never accomplished anything. Sidious ruled the entire galaxy for 2 decades. He also destroyed the Jedi Order and dissolved the Galactic Republic. Vitiate did not. While he did rule his Empire for quite some time, he did not accomplish anything like Sidious.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

CephalicRex
08.30.2012 , 07:21 PM | #5
I'm gonna say Sidious was really clever for doing what he did to get that power. However, at the end of the day all is did was take over an already well established society as a well respected member of that society's main government. You have to give credit where credit is due to Vitiate. He raised a new Sith empire almost from the ground up from the remnants of the destroyed one. Not to mention doing it with not just loyal and obedient clones, but with powerful, deceitful, and treacherous Sith Lords under him and managed to keep his post. Not only that, but he shaped this new society to the point where it was finally powerful enough to take on the great republic in full battle. He gave them one hell of a run for their money too.

I'm not saying he is more powerful than Sidious, but he did more with less.

BradTheImpaler
08.30.2012 , 07:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CephalicRex View Post
I'm gonna say Sidious was really clever for doing what he did to get that power. However, at the end of the day all is did was take over an already well established society as a well respected member of that society's main government. You have to give credit where credit is due to Vitiate. He raised a new Sith empire almost from the ground up from the remnants of the destroyed one. Not to mention doing it with not just loyal and obedient clones, but with powerful, deceitful, and treacherous Sith Lords under him and managed to keep his post. Not only that, but he shaped this new society to the point where it was finally powerful enough to take on the great republic in full battle. He gave them one hell of a run for their money too.

I'm not saying he is more powerful than Sidious, but he did more with less.
To play devil's advocate: Sidious was one of only two Sith in his day. He relied on pure political manipulation---he didn't use the Force to impose his own will on Dooku to betray the Jedi, set up another government (Separatists) and attack the Republic, for instance, but actually turned Dooku to the dark side through Dooku's own will. I'd say in terms of use of the Force for manipulation, certainly this was not completely absent in Sidious' case, but he showed an ability the Emperor did not have to use, in a sense, the corruption of the Republic itself, largely through its own political machinery, to take control.

Even if Vitiate had only "remnants" of a Sith Empire, that was more than Sidious began with---saying "all he did was take over an already well established society as a well respected member of that society's main government" makes it sound like a walk in the park, but he was close to being discovered at least once. The fact that Sidious took control of a "pre-made" civilization does not make it easy. Also, Sidious is in fact canonically stronger, but then how this matters in terms of his "greatness" is relative.
---
All that said, in the end it's hard to deny that building an opposing civilization from the ground up would be far more difficult, especially given the treachery from some of the strongest people in this society. That took a lot of manipulation, too, but of a very different sort.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

crazysam
08.30.2012 , 07:56 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
And yet he never accomplished anything. Sidious ruled the entire galaxy for 2 decades. He also destroyed the Jedi Order and dissolved the Galactic Republic. Vitiate did not. While he did rule his Empire for quite some time, he did not accomplish anything like Sidious.
Yes sidious accomplished awesome feets, but he did nothing as the Emperor. He just sat on his throne as if his ascension to the Emperor status was an end, wich in the end is the reason he failed and died. He just stopped caring and failed to protect his Empire.

He still the greatest Sith of all times!

Tuscad
08.30.2012 , 08:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by crazysam View Post
Yes sidious accomplished awesome feets, but he did nothing as the Emperor. He just sat on his throne as if his ascension to the Emperor status was an end, wich in the end is the reason he failed and died. He just stopped caring and failed to protect his Empire.

He still the greatest Sith of all times!
He was working on crushing the Rebellion and preparing for the Vong.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

CephalicRex
08.30.2012 , 08:19 PM | #9
Sidious' political maneuvering was on par with a contemporary election campaign. Actually, not even that. It was more on par with 1930's Germany. Only difference is Hitler had it worse 'cause the German economy was in the toilet.

Compared to raising a civilization from the ground with a bunch of bloodthirsty a** holes under you that would slit each others' throats in a second just to get the one up on somebody, I'd say jumping from senator to chancellor is of a slightly less difficulty. You can argue all you want about how great a manipulator palp is, but in the end of the day his work was already cut out for him. The galaxy was already conquered, he just named himself ruler of it.

I know it is an abomination for the Lucas fanbois to recognize even the slightest achievements of any non-trilogy character, but fanaticism only gets you so far of you're too stubborn to see an opposing viewpoint.

And I am sick of seeing the, "oh, he was manipulator" argument. So was almost every other Sith that ever Sith'd. You wanna give him a medal for doing nothing less than what was expected of him? Might as well give him points for having a pulse too.

crazysam
08.30.2012 , 08:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
He was working on crushing the Rebellion and preparing for the Vong.
Yet he failed so blatantly!