Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update Terror from Beyond

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update Terror from Beyond
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Master-Nala
08.31.2012 , 10:40 AM | #101
So end-game gear grinds are all we have to look forward to?

alifaraaz
08.31.2012 , 10:42 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) what kind of gear players should be in to attempt Story Mode and what kinds of rewards they'll receive for doing so. He said that the gear requirements for Story Mode are similar to those for Story Mode Explosive Conflict. It's balanced for Columi and drops Rakata, but will also speed up the acquisition of Black Hole gear. Hard Mode is balanced for players who have geared past Hard Mode Explosive Conflict.
That's kind of interesting...so Storymode wont be much harder than SM EC? And yet HM Terror requires to be geared in Campaign gear.
Though I guess if people want to do HM Terror they don't have to do EC HM as long as they gear up in Blackhole gear. Since you can pretty much get BiS gear without touching Campaign.

Still kind of odd though, I would have thought the natural step for Storymode Terror would be to drop Campaign and Blackhole. I guess this is something to do with not restricting too many people from being able to do it without gearing up.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

limenutpen
08.31.2012 , 10:45 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by I-ku-u View Post
So, from a story perspective, why would an imperial player want to stop what the Dread Masters are doing?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper

Styxx
08.31.2012 , 10:55 AM | #104
While content is nice and dandy and somewhat expected... it`s not very starwarsy. Can we expect Klingon looking NPC`s in 1.5 and Avengers in 1.6?

I mean.. from all the lore possibilities, or timeline possible solutions... all you could come up with was a worm...
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

veyl
08.31.2012 , 10:58 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by alifaraaz View Post
That's kind of interesting...so Storymode wont be much harder than SM EC? And yet HM Terror requires to be geared in Campaign gear.
Though I guess if people want to do HM Terror they don't have to do EC HM as long as they gear up in Blackhole gear. Since you can pretty much get BiS gear without touching Campaign.

Still kind of odd though, I would have thought the natural step for Storymode Terror would be to drop Campaign and Blackhole. I guess this is something to do with not restricting too many people from being able to do it without gearing up.
I think what she meant was the new raid storymode is tuned for Black Hole gear and drops Campaign gear... and hard mode of it will drop the new Tier of loot.

If they don't do that, they're shooting themselves in the face with stupidity.

ancksunamur
08.31.2012 , 11:30 AM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Some people are never satisfied, just ignore folks like this.
no are u serious. I have waited patiently for new fp, raid content and new wz's and in 5 months all I got was... an event? And thats suppose to keep me playing. I wanted this game for 4 years, (really after Kotor 2). And they came out with a bang, i was shocked and was like yeah look at these guys. Then nothing, and more nothing. They have the release of 2 major games GW 2 and MoP, and nothing still. I heard about this upcoming content during E3 in May! Gimme something anything, give me a time table of release a couple weeks a month. My guess is just like the HK droid that I was super stoked about last month and haven't heard anything about since that I'll wait for F2P so they can make more money off it.

Am glad you love the game, I do too. Loved it since the beta defended it even to today from people trying to get me back in other MMO's. But the content is stale and the game is too new with not enough to do to have this large of breaks in content. In 2-3 years it won't be ok, but it won;'t kill it either. But right now they have to get the content, with minimum bugs out as fast as possible. I don't want to hear we lost people, and have new. I work in the military and that's a way of life and were not allowed to use it as an excuse. Just give me something a time table anything, oh the PTR should be up in a couple weeks, we hope to get this to you by Xmas, or 2016 anything, soon to me means 2 weeks, soon to them is with in the next 3 years it seems. Leave it to EA to screw up another perfect title Red Alert, Warhammer, Command and Conquer ...etc

limenutpen
08.31.2012 , 11:30 AM | #107
Nah I think she meant Story mode to be doable in Columi/Rakata.
Considering its name it had to be made that way. No....

Story mode should be for casual players.
I think the EC Story Mode is a tough cookie for most groups especially if you are not geared enough see above.

So I agree that the Campaign should not drop from Story Mode.

Hopefully the new Nightmare Tiers will also come, starting with EC sometime in October, and hopefully to be followed by the promised revamp to EV and KP. EV has so much potential IMO if new mechanics where to be presented as promised.
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper

Elfindreams
08.31.2012 , 11:41 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) what kind of gear players should be in to attempt Story Mode and what kinds of rewards they'll receive for doing so. He said that the gear requirements for Story Mode are similar to those for Story Mode Explosive Conflict. It's balanced for Columi and drops Rakata, but will also speed up the acquisition of Black Hole gear. Hard Mode is balanced for players who have geared past Hard Mode Explosive Conflict.
Is this the same designer that thinks/claims LI HM is balanced for tionese?
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Mavery
08.31.2012 , 11:41 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by drfirewater View Post
things i am worried about: Campain level requirements for HM should mean the story mode drops campain level gear. After all that is what progression means .. that you progress from one tier to the next. My worry as a PVE player on a PVE server is that to be honest EC HM isnt exactly a walk in the park (i have gotten to all but kephess and more then half of the guildies i got that far with no longer play the game). So guilds who have lost a large population because people who felt the raiding was too easy for them have already left ... so i seriously hope that the content is not so hard its off putting at very least on SM.

I know your all gonna QQ ... i don't care i don't plan to follow the comments of this thread.

But the problem with this game is there isnt enough content and the content that comes out takes too freaking long to come out and you can only raid so many days a week. EV and KP are already worthless to most do them once maybe twice with OP team to get yourself geared enough for SM EC then fumble through HM EC unless your in a really good guild of super elitists.

Hoping this new raid isnt gonna be nearly as silly. SM EC seems to be like you need some BH to beat enrage timers .... are we to expect the same level of stupidity on this raid? ... when you say balanced for full campain gear do you mean its doable in rakata with BH mods? .... what tier gear will the new raid drop on SM? campain / mk1-3?
will SM be easier or harder then EC HM ?

i guess all this doesnt really matter until the content is launched ... but keep in mind there are more people who are in hardcore guilds who arent beating HM EC then there are elite groups who are. They need content too, and with free to play the number of people who cant handle the content gets increased.

(FYI its not me that sucks .... my sorc healer can hit over 1k on aoe and nearly 8k on single target crits 40% crit chance and 80% multiplier .... but you cant play ALL the characters in the raid at the same time)
I know you said you won't follow the comments on this thread. But some of your points did bug me and I did not want them unaddressed.

SM dropping campaign != progression. Yes, SM tends to be interesting when it first comes out. This is really because of its newness. It's not puggable immediately, but good, organized guilds tend to be able to clear it the first week its out. Which does mean, no, you do not need black hole gear to beat the enrage timers in SM. I'm trying not to sound condescending, but if you're running into enrage issues in SM your DPS have serious issues. Every week I do alt and fresh 50 runs of SM EC, with about 10-12 people, in 16 story.

Not all guilds are farming EC HM. But the guilds that are aren't elitist. My guild has been farming it for awhile, and we're the furthest thing from elitist. It's something I, as the guildmaster, do not tolerate. The other guilds (on my server) who are clearing it are the same way, except maybe one. I really wish people would stop propogating this opinion. It implies that if you clear content, there must be something wrong with the personality of the players in the guild. It simply isn't true.

EC HM isn't a walk in the park. But it's very doable if i) you stat your class properly; ii) you understand your class; and iii) you have some raid awareness.

The biggest problem with people downing content (who say don't run parses) think they're doing it right, but they are misinformed. I've helped many players on my server who were in disbelief when they actually linked up to a parser. We theory crafted together and they started hitting respectable numbers.

At this point, if you're not clearing EC HM there is a problem with your guild. Address it now. It will only get worse in TFB HM.

KarethRiker
08.31.2012 , 12:05 PM | #110
I'm curious if the HM TFB will drop new augments or new slicing mats for Lvl7 augments, I'm guessing yes. Any guesses on what those will go for on the GTN?