Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Five Point Plan to Improve Operations

KingofGob
08.29.2012 , 12:37 PM | #1
As someone who has stuck with this game since launch I have become slightly concerned with the direction of PvE content going forward. I have come up with the 5 biggest things that I think would vastly improve the operations in this game. To avoid this becoming a wall of text I added the spoiler tags to hide my explanations of each point. Please read these before going to the comments because I believe some of them need context to understand what I am really saying.

1a. Nerf story mode Explosive Conflict down to the levels of story mode EV/KP.
Spoiler

1b. Change story mode Explosive Conflict to drop columi gear.
Spoiler

2. Make sure all story modes going forward follow 1a and 1b.
Spoiler

3. Do not obsolete old operations.
Spoiler

4. Wait two tiers to release nightmare modes.
Spoiler

5. Let F2P characters have access to story mode KP/EV and EC.
Spoiler

So those are my 5 points to preserve and improve PvE content for the future. Let me know what you guys think/

alifaraaz
08.29.2012 , 01:42 PM | #2
Agree on some, disagree on others.

1. EC SM nerf. Yes it should be accessible by all, but you would be shocked how many people are pugging it these days. However I agree it should be made a bit easier, but not as easy as EV/KP. It should keep the rakata drops otherwise casual raiders will feel no sense of gear progression. The whole idea is that you can do all storymodes without doing any hard or nightmares. It in itself is its own easy mode progression path.

Also regarding the nerf, I would say its fair enough to nerf it a bit after the next Operation is released.

About nightmare mode, 1 tier difference is fine imo. I enjoyed running EV and KP a bit recently after doing EC for so long. But yes having that long break from it makes it sort of fun again, especially since much of the mechanics may be tweaked etc.

Making all storymodes drop columi sure they'll always be accessible but new players will play with old players and the old ops might not be used as much as you think. Whereas as is, they got to climb the ladder. They can speed up the gear ladder using blackhole comms etc, but even still, the fastest way is still to go through the Ops.

And finally about f2p, they said they are still ironing out the details. But it was suggested at Gamescom that maybe EV or something would be given free as a teaser of raiding. Likewise it wouldn't be much of a stretch to give KP free too.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

MrSchmo
08.29.2012 , 02:24 PM | #3
I respectfully disagree on all your points.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Selenial
08.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #4
I disagree with EC SM point, but i do have one point i think would make operations better.

Cross faction ops. Imperials and Republic teaming up to take down a larger threat, i know id love it, and so would my guild.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Posted the prologue of fanfic Echoes.

Elear
08.29.2012 , 02:39 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
I respectfully disagree on all your points.
What he said.
This would hardly help any PvE player that does Ops for challenge, not only for story. And endgame content is supposed to be heavly resticted for F2P, if they get EV SM they should be happy.

Flying-Brian
08.29.2012 , 04:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Cross faction ops. Imperials and Republic teaming up to take down a larger threat, i know id love it, and so would my guild.
This is something I would like to see, and would add a bit of new flavor to the ops that are available now.

bbates
08.29.2012 , 05:30 PM | #7
Sounds like a horrible Idea, mostly changing loot to let F2P players have access to it.

Once I read that you wanted it dummied down and that it should drop columi I just stopped reading your post.

I like that your putting effort into finding a way to improve the game but in this case I just flat out disagree.
Zero 55 Merc, Tubbington 55 Mara, After 55 Sorc, SleepyBear 55 Opp, Tulduro 55 Jugg Mirand'a 55 Ptech, Naughtengton 55 Sage, Helle'quin 52 Gun,
Proud member of Animosity! The Firefly Legacy!

Dacce
08.29.2012 , 05:49 PM | #8
at least he is offering some options and ideas. For all you people who reply with one liners saying you disagree, keep your opinions to yourself unless you actually have something to offer. because my ignore list just keeps getting bigger.

KingofGob
08.29.2012 , 06:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by alifaraaz View Post
It should keep the rakata drops otherwise casual raiders will feel no sense of gear progression.
In my opinion the silent majority of casual raiders are less interested in doing operations for gear progression, they want to see the bosses, see the scenery, get a feel for the story. I am basing this just on what I hear from people around me so I clearly could be wrong, but I think casual raiders like the challenge of learning and seeing something new more than the gear grind. Maybe the story modes could drop gear that is cosmetically similar to the tier from which the operation came so there is something different to get in each one, but I would say it still should be columi level.

alifaraaz
08.29.2012 , 06:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KingofGob View Post
In my opinion the silent majority of casual raiders are less interested in doing operations for gear progression, they want to see the bosses, see the scenery, get a feel for the story. I am basing this just on what I hear from people around me so I clearly could be wrong, but I think casual raiders like the challenge of learning and seeing something new more than the gear grind. Maybe the story modes could drop gear that is cosmetically similar to the tier from which the operation came so there is something different to get in each one, but I would say it still should be columi level.
I get what you're saying, and if it were me if I didn't want the challenge of hard modes and just wanted to experience it all, I'd be happy with same loot maybe different looks etc. But I would be happier with my own gear progressing as I go through the raids.
However I also understand that by keeping it the way it is, endgamers have little incentive to visit the older ops apart from with alts. However New players will always have the fun of going through them in order instead of having 6 ops rewarding the same stat gear.

But! A perfect example of where I believe you're wrong regarding the gear is WoWs LFR system. I don't know if you've played it, but in a sense its similar to story mode. It is a system where the raids are made very easy, easier than story mode raids. And the purpose of it was to let all players experience the content.

Now you can go in wow forums and see the everlasting arguments about it. Many believe LFR should drop no loot, or low quality loot. Others (the masses of casuals) say no, they're happy with getting some of the best gear in the game while doing easymode raids.

And blizzard will never change it because in the end that's what's getting people into the raids week in week out.

Bioware are taking the more old fashioned approach where even on story mode some skill is required. However like I said, EC story should be nerfed a bit, AFTER Terror from Beyond comes out.To make it more accessible to the masses. The reason I don't believe they should be dumbed down too much prior to the next set of progression is because it ruins it for the others.
And by the others I don't mean the hardcore, I mean just normal competent players who are getting into raiding. They work hard to clear storymode and they then either keep raiding storymode on the next Op or they try hardmode. If you make storymode too easy (before the next Op is released at least) then the gap between story and hard will be too big. It will be too much of a challenge for the casual raiders or new raiders because of the massive increase in difficulty.

Anyway I'm getting bit off-topic, but Blizzard have been through all that. Players often say they will love to do it for the experience etc, even if it dropped crap loot. But the experience only lasts so long. They need the carrot on the stick (Gear) to keep them coming in week in week out. Honestly and this applies to a lot of stuff in general, sometimes players don't always know what they want. They think they do, but when it actually happens, they realise it doesn't always work out as great as they thought it would be in their heads.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]