Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It's the last Tuesday in August....and still no NM EC or new content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
It's the last Tuesday in August....and still no NM EC or new content

alifaraaz
08.28.2012 , 05:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
The problem we have is that they seemed to indicate that the content would be coming by the end of August and it hasn't. What is there to say that they'll keep true to their promise to release Terror from Beyond in September? It's not even on the PTS yet.

At what point do we have the right to complain about a lack of new content? If I didn't like my guild and I hadn't gotten into the PVP scene when 1.3 launched I'd have probably quit out of boredom awhile ago.
Well the world event was 'content' in a more broader term. They suggested content in August but it was people who assumed it would be the Op or WZ or HK-51. So to be fair they did give us the event. Granted it was kinda short, and I barely took part in it but that's besidea the point.

They did however say next month, Terror. Again next month is not a specific date but a general timeframe. Nonethless to take it literally the next month is September so they have till Sept 30th to deliver while still being true to their word.

I'm inclined to believe they're doing a lot of internal testing on this one. As I mentioned in my thread regarding Terror PTS, realistically it does require imo 3-4 weeks of testing to clean out bugs. However I'm basing that mostly on the work done on EC in PTS.
However 2 things come to mind: firstly, since they're splitting content, a lot less stuff requires testing, so the testing will be more concentrated on the Operation, and all bug fixing time can be spent on the Operation etc.
Secondly although there were a good few bugs that arose in ECs PTS testing, there wasn't as many as you'd think. Much of the changes were more regarding adjusting the difficulty. Now you could say the difficulty will likely be roughly equal, hopefully a little bit harder, so they're kinda already at the mark difficulty wise. Whereas last time adjusting the difficulty from KP/EV to EC. was a big job in itself.

So for them reasons I could imagine that the required amount of testing time could be reduced to 2-3 weeks Maybe all the bugs won't be fixed but all the big gamebreakers hopefully.

But hey, I guess well see. I really hope they get it on the PTS within the next 7 days or so.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

AshlaBoga
08.28.2012 , 07:47 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
The problem we have is that they seemed to indicate that the content would be coming by the end of August and it hasn't. What is there to say that they'll keep true to their promise to release Terror from Beyond in September? It's not even on the PTS yet.

At what point do we have the right to complain about a lack of new content? If I didn't like my guild and I hadn't gotten into the PVP scene when 1.3 launched I'd have probably quit out of boredom awhile ago.
At what point? When they make a promise and don't keep it.
When Ranked WZs didn't come with 1.2 they gave a us a free month.
If Terror isn't ready for us to play - and moderately bug free - by the end of September then we deserve a free month.
Heck, if they don't keep their promise I'll spam forums until they're forced to apologize.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Banegio
08.28.2012 , 08:59 PM | #13
Pretty sure I read an interview (I think it is at gamescom) where the dev said the implementation for EC NiM has been completed and it is in testing stage.

"Very Soon" but after TfB.

Banegio
08.28.2012 , 09:12 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingDinosaur View Post
So, WoW players pay $180 for a update that turns into a half-butt expansion pack that they also spend another $20 to purchase and play? $200 for a week of content and I doubt a lot of peple are looking forward to Pandas. SW:TOR about 3 months or $45 for a new update that has 1 new raid, 1 new wz, and misc.

1.4 will have:
New WZ
New Raid
New items
Increased level cap
HK-51

I made several statements about players getting greedy?
I think next update is 1.4 which only includes the new raid.

Increased level cap (new planet) and New WZ are definitely later in the year.

Not sure HK-51.

Grobluk
08.29.2012 , 08:47 AM | #15
There will always be a small minority of players that clear all the PvE content rapidly and "want more".

Having said that, the operations content in SW:TOR has always been pretty limited, and the pace at which they have added new content has been extremely slow.

KP and EV didn't really feel like proper operations, but something thrown together when faced with an imminent release date.

EC is a very good operation by any standards, but by now the people interested in group PvE have been farming the place for months.

Speaking as a MMO group content veteran, I still think SW:TOR has potential, if they can create regular content on par with EC.

However, they need to get something out VERY soon. Things are always slow during summer, so the lack of new content hasn't hit that hard. Even so, I am loosing operation members at a slow but steady rate.

In september people will be back from vacation, and they are faced with either EC which they have done ad nauseam, or one of the two other major MMO releases that are on the horizon.

MrSchmo
08.29.2012 , 09:19 AM | #16
NM EC will come around the same time as TFB as it will contain the new gear tier.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

ImmortalAlien
08.29.2012 , 09:37 AM | #17
Bioware Austin hardly has the development and QA team to make frequent content updates if the rumors from ex-employees are true. :\

Even then, a way to keep the game fresh without "BRAND NEW CONTENT" is to throw events in the mix every month or so. Unfortunately, SWTOR has only had one good event with the most recent being rather lackluster if that's what to expect for events every half-year.

So, in effect, SWTOR is like this:
- For PVE, it's a grindfest of one operation
- For PVP, it's a grindfest of 4 Warzones for a month +
- For leveling and rerolling, the non-class content is no more exciting to do again than in any other MMORPG. The class storylines, though, are still the crown jewel of SWTOR.
- For roleplaying, it's dependent on how many people stay active on your server or how wide your group of friends are. Neither are going to look good in the long run since the number of people available for RP hinges on PVE and PVP aspects despite what people might claim.

So basically, from a pure gameplay standpoint, SWTOR is a grindfest. It's monotonous. People get bored of it eventually. It happens in WOW as well, yet WOW has the advantage of it being a grindfest spanning several different raids and dungeons - which severely reduces monotony.

SWTOR doesn't have the benefit of huge content. It needs more breaks in the monotony to keep interest. That entails either creating content faster or creating spontaneous world events at a regular rate. Neither has been done, nor does it seem like it's going to happen with Bioware Austin's current condition and EA's lack of marketing for SWTOR (how much a publisher markets a game, even post release, is a good litmus test of how much the publisher is willing to risk on the game).

This leads many people on both the PVP and PVE side of things going, "Welp, we're BIS after 8 weeks, and I don't feel like leveling another alt. /unsub"

Though, I will say this, Bioware Austin gave too many promises about content updates, then kept their mouths shut for too long when development goals changed. Even then, the apparent cuts in development funding and the QA department are too big to expect much out of the company for now.

Sir-Phobos
08.29.2012 , 02:40 PM | #18
Cancelled my account yesterday. Have cleared EC probably over 20 times combined on normal and hard, EV and KP probably even more than that. Done all the hard mode flashpoints countless times. Nightmare mode EC doesn't even really interest me as it really isn't new content, just harder version of already existing content.

Even when the new operation does finally go in I really don't think a single new operation would be enough to keep me interested when I have long since burned myself out on all the rest of the content in the game.

JamieM
08.29.2012 , 04:45 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalAlien View Post
Though, I will say this, Bioware Austin gave too many promises about content updates, then kept their mouths shut for too long when development goals changed. Even then, the apparent cuts in development funding and the QA department are too big to expect much out of the company for now.
I completely agree. This is probably why BioWare are now going the other way and not saying anything about content release projections at all - because of the PR disaster that was James Ohlen's infamous promise that "from now on we're going to be releasing major content updates month after month". To this day that crap has never been addressed by BW.

bbates
08.29.2012 , 05:32 PM | #20
Yeah I dont hold much hope for terror from beyond only from the simple fact is it will probably be mostly a sideways loot progression.

But at least we will have something else to beat.
Zero 55 Merc, Tubbington 55 Mara, After 55 Sorc, SleepyBear 55 Opp, Tulduro 55 Jugg Mirand'a 55 Ptech, Naughtengton 55 Sage, Helle'quin 52 Gun,
Proud member of Animosity! The Firefly Legacy!