Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Starship improvement suggestions....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Starship improvement suggestions....

LordArtemis
08.28.2012 , 08:56 AM | #1
I would suggest some improvements to personal starships. First, let me go over the smaller changes I feel would be beneficial.

1) Mail and Market kiosk
Installable module to place a mail and market kiosk on your ship. No ability to send mail or post auctions, but you can retrieve mail and browse/purchase from the market.

ADDED TO THE GAME

2) Closing doors
Simple. Doors should be hatches that open and close like on the ships in flashpoints. At the very least the door should close on my personal quarters.

3) Legacy Cargo bay/bank

Add legacy storage access in my quarters. This would be an item that all of my characters in my legacy could access from their quarters. it would also allow, with legacy unlocks, EC to be deposited in a legacy wide bank that all legacy toons could access.

LEGACY STORAGE ADDED TO THE GAME IN STRONGHOLDS

4) Landing on planets
Put a button in the gui when sitting in the pilots seat to land on a planet when I arrive. It is silly for me to have to WALK out of my exit hatch just to land.

I would also add that I think the initial visit to each and every planet should be similar to the intro space cinematic you experience when you first visit Makeb. That was a great sequence and I think it would immerse the players more in the importance of each planet. Naturally this would be triggered by progression in the storyline.

5) Minigames to improve ship performance/buffs

Remember the override/slicing minigames in ME? I think it would be good to be able to go to my engine room, or on my bridge at certain stations, certain control stations on the ship and activate small minigames where I can boost power output (faster shield regeneration, more powerful weapons), reenforce systems (makes the ship resist damage) or improve engine efficiency (lower travel cost). A successful minigame outcome would provide a temp buff to that system. Ties in to multiplayer options below.

6) Ability to shuttle to our ship

Much like the fleet pass, allow us to command our ship to come and pick us up. We would go straight into space, no need for launch cinematic. 18 hour cooldown.

ADDED TO THE GAME

7) Ability to enter our ship without taking off
You would need to design limited backdrops for when we look out of our bridge window, or you can just have blast shields down over the windows. In other words we can stay on planet without launching our ship. Ties in to on-ship missions below.

8) Gun turrets
Add gun turret stations for all spaceships, different locations based on ship design, at least two would be best.

9) Ability to direct companions to repair damaged system when in space combat
Add a button to command companions to repair your ship.

10) Allow players to sit and sleep in different positions around the ship. Every chair should be a sit capable object, and the bed should be a trigger for a sleep emote.

ADDED TO THE GAME USING EMOTE COMMANDS FOR STRONGHOLDS

11) Add a workstation to our starship. We actually already have the station, we only need for it to be set up as a workstation point.

More in depth changes for the future....

1) Missions on and around our ship

Missions that trigger when we approach our ship or leave it, or when traveling through space. Getting attacked, repel borders, fix systems that are malfunctioning to escape, etc.

2) Ability for players to join you on your ship and play along when you go into space combat
They can man turrets, play minigames to fix ship damage or lengthen buffs, etc.

3) Players can join you in their starships for your space combat mission
Players will group up with you, go to their ship, you choose your space combat mission, they can join you in their ship, so you fly the pipe together. Friendly fire should be enabled.

4) Mission to go on attack run, then land and invade a ship

Allowing group play in the space mission would allow for this kind of mission to be authored. Could be set up as a flashpoint. You fight your way to a point, knock out a ships shields, land and fight on foot as usual.

5) Allow players to acquire a different ship at level cap

Players would be given a choice to turn in their ship for any of the other ships available. This could be a legacy unlock item.

6) Ability to customize both the exterior (color, markings, etc) and interior (SWG style interior decorating system, NO HOOKS)
Add decorations and awards/trophies to the game to quest for. Could be tied into an achievement system.

That's it for now, may add more later or add suggestions from others. Thanks.

Pairaka
08.28.2012 , 09:25 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
2) Closing doors
3) Cargo bay
These irk me. I want doors that open and close. They exist ingame, why can't we at least have a door that closes on the personal quarters? And the Cargo Bay should be accessible from the one in my quarters. Or if we perhaps get a Legacy Bank, have the one in the cargo hold be the shared bank and the one in your quarters be the character specific one.

Quote:
5) Minigames to improve ship performance/buffs
It would be so nice just to be able to interact with the ship's interior more. Jedi Knights get a hololibrary of messages sent to you by a certain NPC you encounter. I was delighted to find these and then spent an hour exploring the interiors of my other ships to see if something similar had occurred on them. Clickable consoles that maybe provide a small cutscene with a companion interacting with it (and you), a chess table that actual works, a hololibrary (Codex, maybe?)...

Quote:
6) Ability to shuttle to our ship [...]18 hour cooldown.
The ability to shuttle to our ship would be greatly appreciated, but why suggest the long CD? Never understood why there has to be such long CDs on abilities like this that just make it easier to get around.

Quote:
1) Missions on and around our ship
Would be so nice...

Quote:
5) Allow players to acquire a different ship at level cap
Players would be given a choice to turn in their ship for any of the other ships available.
Or just a Legacy unlock that allows you to use ships you've already got. My Inquisitor would really like to have the Agent ship.

Quote:
6) Ability to customize both the exterior (color, markings, etc) and interior (SWG style interior decorating system, NO HOOKS)
Add decorations and awards/trophies to the game to quest for. Could be tied into an achievement system.
Every time I marry one of my companions, they send me wonderful little letters and gifts. I've kept those gifts and would really like to display them. (Although, perhaps if the gifts they sent you were a little more appropriate for displaying it would be nice.) During one of my conversations with Andronikos, he gave me an ornamental sword. I'd love to have that hanging up somewhere. Perhaps an actual, physical representation of the Codex would be nice.

One thing that bugs me about the ships is that except for the Smuggler ship, you get no sense that people really live there. It's the only one (as far as I can remember) that actually has a compartment that looks like a galley. So far on all my ships I've got up to 6 people making this their home. The ships are far too spartan and stark. And quiet. They're kind of spooky sometimes.

Oh. I'd like to request something specific: The ability to turn off the Space Mission icon. That thing drives me nuts.
Mera Virai | "You should be running..."

LordArtemis
08.28.2012 , 01:42 PM | #3
Thanks for your input. I like some of your suggestions and would like to add them to the list if you dont mind.

Xenotoxic
08.28.2012 , 03:58 PM | #4
Not bad ideas, though I'm not sure about the ones concerning space combat. Honestly, I'd rather do away with current space missions and have something more free-roamy. I'm actually making a pretty big post as we speak regarding space revamps. Be sure to look for it and give me your opinion!

TalkingDinosaur
08.28.2012 , 03:59 PM | #5
If I recall correctly, In Beta doors would open and close on ships.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

SilentKitty
08.28.2012 , 05:28 PM | #6
I agree that the smuggler ship feels more lived in than the one for JK Sentinel, something that I really like. Would also enjoy putting more stuff into the ship that made it feel like my ship, like Andronikos sword one person mentioned earlier.

Legacy-bank on ship would be glorious, I would do anything to get my hand on a bank-slot like that!

Another thing that really would make me happy. I do space-missions =) and you get to hear audio from one of your comps. So far I've played with JK, Smuggler and Sith Warrior. It would be great if I could get to choose who was my co-pilot. Smuggler and her Corso works great for me, as does my Sith Warrior and Vette. But if it was possible I would love to have a different co-pilot than Kira but I just don't get along with her. I'm sure other people have different wishes for fav-pilot. It would be nice to get the company of the companion that you like. Hmm... that is really on the nice-to-have-list. Not a biggie at all. Just a suggestion.

LordArtemis
08.29.2012 , 12:40 AM | #7
I like some of these ideas, especially the legacy bank access. That could be the cargo hold...the legacy access for the cargo hold could be set in different panes, using a drop down menu for all of your characters you have purchased it for on your ship.

I would second that they should also give legacy access on the fleet station as well.

Huxxar
08.29.2012 , 01:21 AM | #8
mail and kiosk are already available through legacy unlock, but I think that limited options should be available for free, and the cost for extra should be lowered.

I def would like to see more customization for my ship, even if i'm the only one who ever sees it!
US East - The Fatman (PVP)
Lass: Sorc DPS --- Joodie: Ops Heals --- Sunil: ptech tank

Kvarnol
08.29.2012 , 02:42 AM | #9
I agree that we need more customizations and interactions.
/signed
Noble Demon all the way.

LordArtemis
08.29.2012 , 02:53 AM | #10
Mail and Kiosk is available through legacy unlock? How does that work on a ship?

Yes, the idea with some of the suggestions is that it can open up our starships as mission points, which just makes the ship feel more like OUR ship in the Star Wars universe.

After all, the size of the ships reminds of the Falcon.