Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Learn to read the loot...


Pheroras's Avatar


Pheroras
09.01.2012 , 08:26 AM | #21
let there be tokens given as drops and vendors for an appropriate piece of gear
"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

imperialmerc's Avatar


imperialmerc
09.01.2012 , 01:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Pheroras View Post
let there be tokens given as drops and vendors for an appropriate piece of gear
There is. That's what SWTOR's entire endgame gearing is based on.
Lagro level 60 Mercenary Sezzid level 60 Vanguard
Cezzid level 55 Operative Tuckeer level 55 Gunslinger
Snefru level 55 Sith Juggernaut Kam'ina level 60 Jedi Sentinel
Liadra level 56 Sith Assassin You're going down

RKLimes's Avatar


RKLimes
09.01.2012 , 02:09 PM | #23
Needing for companions is perfectly acceptable in all situations.

I'll usually make it clear right off the bat, but if my reason for being there is the same item you're there for, we're both investing the same amount of time, and we're both entitled to the same chance at the loot we'd like.

I'm not in the group to carry you to your loot. If I'm in a FP, it's because I'm looking for something.

Another favorite is "you already have that piece, why are you needing it again?!"
That's simple, bw horribly itemized every piece of gear in the game, so you often need to seek a single item many times to get enough of the correct enhancements. (for example)
.
Super-Awesome suggestions. Trust me, they're amazing!
I highly recommend you peep your eyeballs on them!

RKLimes's Avatar


RKLimes
09.01.2012 , 02:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
Needing gear for a companion is only acceptable if you ask first. As companions don't come on Ops/Hm FP's having a player get geared up is much more important. If you need something for a companion, which you really don't, ask first. The only time you should hit need is if it a piece of gear for the character you are on, if it's for an alt ask first.
The fact that companions don't join us in ops is of zero consequence. If someone doesn't run ops at all, their companions hold more personal value than they may for you.

We all play for different reasons, and nothing makes OPS more valid than casual solo play with companions.
.
Super-Awesome suggestions. Trust me, they're amazing!
I highly recommend you peep your eyeballs on them!

RikHar's Avatar


RikHar
09.01.2012 , 02:16 PM | #25
I think there's two reasonable sides to this argument.

I understand the need for a tank to try to get heavy armor of his class as well as a cloth wearer to try to get his type. But if, let's say, a tank is completely outfitted with Black Hole armor, then i believe it's ok for someone else to call needs. It'll most likely be for their companions.

Many players check out their groups armor, either before they begin or during a break in the action. Not everyone does this but if you know for sure another player is outfitted with good armor, then I would imagine its ok to call needs.

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
09.01.2012 , 05:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by RKLimes View Post
Needing for companions is perfectly acceptable in all situations.

I'll usually make it clear right off the bat, but if my reason for being there is the same item you're there for, we're both investing the same amount of time, and we're both entitled to the same chance at the loot we'd like.

I'm not in the group to carry you to your loot. If I'm in a FP, it's because I'm looking for something.

Another favorite is "you already have that piece, why are you needing it again?!"
That's simple, bw horribly itemized every piece of gear in the game, so you often need to seek a single item many times to get enough of the correct enhancements. (for example)
Please continue to make this clear off the bat. I'll be sure to drop group, /ignore you and you can spend 20 minutes waiting for a new tank. Asking if you can need a specific piece for a companion is fine, but if its an upgrade for a team mates main set, they should get it. They'll get more use out of it than your companion will, regardless of how much you solo.

Again, if you're needing for mods and someone else if you group can use the WHOLE item, you're being selfish. You can use maybe 2/3 mods for a small upgrade in stats and a better itemization. Your team mate is going up ATLEAST a tier of gear. Or rather, they're not because you just "Need"ed it.

Enjoy your increasing queue times and know that it wasn't caused by dropping population. You brought it on yourself.

EDIT: Looked at your character link and see you are a tank. I take solace in being on a different server, for if we were on the same you would end up as only the second tank I have ever /ignored. I hope you enjoy getting away with being a tool because of class imbalances.

RKLimes's Avatar


RKLimes
09.02.2012 , 09:34 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Please continue to make this clear off the bat. I'll be sure to drop group, /ignore you and you can spend 20 minutes waiting for a new tank. Asking if you can need a specific piece for a companion is fine, but if its an upgrade for a team mates main set, they should get it. They'll get more use out of it than your companion will, regardless of how much you solo.

Again, if you're needing for mods and someone else if you group can use the WHOLE item, you're being selfish. You can use maybe 2/3 mods for a small upgrade in stats and a better itemization. Your team mate is going up ATLEAST a tier of gear. Or rather, they're not because you just "Need"ed it.

Enjoy your increasing queue times and know that it wasn't caused by dropping population. You brought it on yourself.

EDIT: Looked at your character link and see you are a tank. I take solace in being on a different server, for if we were on the same you would end up as only the second tank I have ever /ignored. I hope you enjoy getting away with being a tool because of class imbalances.
So what you're saying is i should carry someone to their loot? Just want to make sure I understand your point of view. How are these people going to get their loot when we have to kick them until someone joins who doesn't need a specific piece? How do you feel when someone else in your group is the same class? Do you determine who's play style is more deserving of loot? If guy A runs OPS twice a week, and guy B runs them 5 times a week, should guy A pass on all the loot? Clearly guy B uses the loot more often. (Just like your argument regarding companions.)

If you looked I'm sure you noticed I don't need columi loot, my post was a matter of principle. The 20-30mins I spend in a FP has the same value as everyone else's.

As I said, not everyone plays for the same reason, and your reason for playing is not more important than someone else's. If you feel it is: you sir, are being selfish.

Also if you think you're important enough for the world to care who you ignore, you're also conceited.

We're all here to have some fun. If someone can't run a FP for companion loot, you'll find the LFG tool will become even more useless. To be frank, my companions are in mostly rakata/black hole, but again I'm speaking out of principle.

If I'm in a group with a nice guy, who replies to my statement of intent to roll for companions by saying "I'm only looking for this one piece, if it drops would you mind passing for me?" I'll gladly oblige. He sounds like the kind of gent I wouldn't mind helping. I'd even offer him another run if it didn't drop. However if someone replied with some rant about his ignore list and "gl waiting in queue," farewell and good riddance. I wish all the world's D-Bags would put me on ignore. Saves me the trouble of grouping with them again.
.
Super-Awesome suggestions. Trust me, they're amazing!
I highly recommend you peep your eyeballs on them!

Ruskaeth's Avatar


Ruskaeth
09.02.2012 , 10:09 AM | #28
I was helping out a guild on many ec hm runs and I was one somewhat dumbstruck that a nice guy, who was in the game for the last night before _not_ resubbing would take a campaign piece for his companion when a) before it's been needing for mainspec and b) companion rolls only after someone doesn't want that specific item. I think the guild evaporated after that, or split in half or something. Anyway, had he said that different rules would apply on campaign offhand on this round before we started, I'd have just told him "cool, lets do that for you, you've seen a lot of effort to gear up your companion". Still, no one like surprises so it was a different call.

Personally, I like people paying attention to if other people could possibly need it more like some have said. In the end, this conversation is moot regarding operations, on FPs -do what you will, but on operations everything should be agreed upon before any loot is spread around.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.02.2012 , 11:47 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by RKLimes View Post
So what you're saying is i should carry someone to their loot? Just want to make sure I understand your point of view. How are these people going to get their loot when we have to kick them until someone joins who doesn't need a specific piece? How do you feel when someone else in your group is the same class? Do you determine who's play style is more deserving of loot? If guy A runs OPS twice a week, and guy B runs them 5 times a week, should guy A pass on all the loot? Clearly guy B uses the loot more often. (Just like your argument regarding companions.)

If you looked I'm sure you noticed I don't need columi loot, my post was a matter of principle. The 20-30mins I spend in a FP has the same value as everyone else's.

As I said, not everyone plays for the same reason, and your reason for playing is not more important than someone else's. If you feel it is: you sir, are being selfish.

Also if you think you're important enough for the world to care who you ignore, you're also conceited.

We're all here to have some fun. If someone can't run a FP for companion loot, you'll find the LFG tool will become even more useless. To be frank, my companions are in mostly rakata/black hole, but again I'm speaking out of principle.

If I'm in a group with a nice guy, who replies to my statement of intent to roll for companions by saying "I'm only looking for this one piece, if it drops would you mind passing for me?" I'll gladly oblige. He sounds like the kind of gent I wouldn't mind helping. I'd even offer him another run if it didn't drop. However if someone replied with some rant about his ignore list and "gl waiting in queue," farewell and good riddance. I wish all the world's D-Bags would put me on ignore. Saves me the trouble of grouping with them again.
I understand where you're coming from, but let me offer an alternate viewpoint.

If everyone Greeds, everyone has an equal chance of getting the loot.

If everyone Needs, everyone has an equal chance of getting the loot.

So there has to be something to distinguish between when you would Need on a roll and when you would Greed on a roll. WIth most of the people I've grouped with, the difference is, "will the item in question be a direct upgrade to your primary character in the flashpoint/op right now." Everything else is generally greeded.

I myself also have highly geared companions, but most of this came from Rakata drops doing EC, when everyone in the run already had Rakata so the loot drops were all "greed" rolls. If I ever run an HM EV or HM KP, there is most likely going to be someone else in the group who can use that Rakata drop and I personally consider their primary character's gear more important than my companion. Mostly because their companions won't be helping us through future operations.

Doesn't this seem like a fair approach?

Fayrelle's Avatar


Fayrelle
09.02.2012 , 04:40 PM | #30
This is what I do...At the start of a FP I say this flat out. "Hello all, welcome. Please read before need! I have zero tolerance for ninjas and I have given you clear and fair warning, if you need my gear....You WILL get kicked. Now lets play!" If we're both the same class then may the best dude/chick win.

In MY opinion to the *companion looter* I'll just say: Dude...Players have priority over companions, if you want comp gear then wait until everyone greeds or passes before asking "Mind if I need for my comp?" I guarantee that they'll say "idc go ahead" ...Best not to make enemies on a game that does not allow cross server FPs >.<