Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's wrong with the prequels?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What's wrong with the prequels?

Arodin
12.19.2011 , 05:38 PM | #21
I recently watched all six movies over several days which I had never done before and it had been a long time since I saw them, and it got me thinking about this topic (so I'm glad you asked).

My feeling after watching them was that the prequels are not that bad. They are very entertaining to watch. The problem is they do not nearly live up to the potential. They could have been so much better, and I think that's why people hate them -- not because they are bad movies, but because they are not great movies.

The issues I have with them:

-- The Phantom Menace is a waste of a film. Starting the Anakin story when he is so young was pointless. Not much of significance happens when the main character is a 9 year old. The core of the story is basically about a little boy trying to win a fancy go-cart race with nice special effects. Starting with Anakin so young also makes the romance between Padme and Anakin feel a little awkward later on in the other films since she apparently met him when she was a young adult and he was a toddler.

-- Once we get to Attack of the Clones, the next big mistake begins. Through a combination of acting and writing, Anakin is immediately not likable. Anakin should have been a tragic hero, a character we love but know he's heading somewhere dark. Like if Luke Skywalker fell to the dark side -- that's what it should have felt like. Instead he's just immediately creepy. In order to show early signs of him leaning toward the darkside, they made him all crotchety and annoying. He gives Obi-Wan attitude, he gives Padme attitude, he gives the Jedi Council attitude... and not in a charming way, but in more of a "this guy is a total d-bag" way.

-- If his attitude wasn't enough, Anakin is also very aggressive and creepy in his pursuit of Padme (made creepier by the fact that the last time we saw him, and the last time Padme saw him, he was 9). He stares at her with those creepy eyes like some hungry animal. When Padme supposedly falls in love with him, it feels phony and forced.

-- On another topic, something else I can't stand in the prequels is the invention of the midi-chlorians. The force was always something fantastical. It wasn't supposed to have an explanation. Creating a lame sci-fi medical explanation for the force was a ridiculous idea. It ripped away the mystique and fantasy of Star Wars. I hope the word midi-chlorian is never mentioned anywhere in SWTOR.

People talk about other things like how annoying Jar Jar is, or minor continuity issues between the films, but I don't think those things are very important. These issues I listed have to do with the core of the story, and that's where the movies really failed.

TexWyngarde
12.19.2011 , 05:44 PM | #22
One word:

Mitichlorians.

I could forgive Jar-Jar. I could forgive "Baby Ani Built C-3PO." I could forgive killing Darth Maul instead of letting his evil percolate for another movie. I could even forgive "Anikin was born of Virgin Birth"

But to reduce the All-Powerful Universe-Binding Force to little more than a blood infection ... man, that tore everything else for me.

LimpBisquick
12.19.2011 , 10:34 PM | #23
I thought it was funny that the opening cinematic to SWTOR had more charm and excitement than the entire new trilogy combined.

xeeki
12.20.2011 , 12:25 AM | #24
I myself think that they didn't make Anakin epic enough, he was supposed to be "The Chosen One", a very powerful force user, a character like Neo in Matrix.

But he very rarely shows any signs of being that good. If ever. If you guys have seen Jumper, (which conveniently stars the same actor) there's a scene in the end where he teleports a whole buidling, which was supposed to be impossible.
It needed to be some moment here Anakin show the same kind of "impossible feat", to really show the audience his potential.
But, by my opinion, Obi-Wan seems like a much greater Jedi, who is the first Jedi in a thousand years to beat a Sith, and he was only a padawan then.
Obi-Wan is so underrated.

Fotios
12.20.2011 , 01:42 AM | #25
With all due respect to the legacy of star wars.
Personaly I liked the prequels which i have watched first, more than the originals.
I understand that ok,the originals were made some decates ago.But especialy in the first movie,the hand to hand battles were imo poor,in comparison with other action movies of about the same age.
I had the feeling that nothing was so special about been a jedi or sith,Just a normal guy with a lightsaber and few telekinitic moves.

Bele
12.20.2011 , 01:50 AM | #26
jar jar binks

an emo named Anakin

other then that the movies are well watchable
In the dawn a jedi was teaching, surrounded by an aura of light. But in the shadow something was watching- and with patience awaiting the night

GhostRiderLSOV
12.20.2011 , 02:41 AM | #27
  • Kid Anakin. At least he'll be better when he'll get older, right? I mean, it's Darth Vader we're talking about!
  • Jar Jar Binks. I'm fine with a comic relief character, but... sheesh. Not to mention that he indirectly created the Empire and still lived by the end of ROTJ? Why didn't anyone kill him?!
  • Lightsaber fights being more show than substance. Mostly in Episode III. Just banging lightsabers in very fast moves to make it "exciting, while they should be going for strikes that kill/dismember. Ok, a lightsaber could technically cut you anyways, but I prefer the slower (even clumsier?) OT fights.
  • "I love you!" "No, I love you!" ---- "Anakin! You're breaking my heart!" I prefer the OT romance.
  • Whinny Anakin. (refer to Kid Anakin) Nope. He's worse.
  • Memorable music. Apart from "Duel of the Fates" and such, some music themes, I just don't remember. In the OT, no matter what theme/track I hear, my mind immediately goes to that scene. Perhaps because they were used in games and such later, but still, it felt like even John Williams couldn't cope with it. In the OT there were numerous tracks that stayed in my mind and not just each episode's "center" track.
  • Memorable Spacecraft. No Millennium Falcon. Or "party's craft". No amazing "good" and "evil" fighters. And to think that Ep. I's space battle wanted to be like the Death Star run, but certainly felt sub-par. We just got new ships every episode and couldn't "connect" with them.
  • Villains. Maul comes and dies. Count Dooku comes and... survives. Dies in the beginning of III though. Grievous, was fun, but not enough. At lleast Palpatine "saves" the roster.
  • Bad videogames most of the time. Remember when they said "we won't go to the OT for a while"? No? Maybe because they changed their minds so quickly. And it was for the best.
  • *Grabs bucket* "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    Yeah, just when I said "Finally! No more whinny Anakin! Now as Vader he took a level in bada---oh man."
  • OT (DVD and later versions). Whinny Anakin's ghost, which somehow has an evil glare when last looking at the camera? What is he planning?

And last but not least:
  • Midi-chlorians. "For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter! You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."
    And then in Ep. I you get a line like: "he has the highest midichlorian count I've ever seen!" (or something like that). And that's why science should not explain stuff. Or Lucas for that matter. :P
    As far as I'm concerned, midichlorians do not exist.

Anyway, for the good parts.
  • Nice colors, CGI.
  • Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes, etc.
  • Obi-Wan. I liked McGregor's portrayal. Not some of the "funny" lines though.
  • Huge ground battles.
"Every little thing that helps."
Hile'Iteu Lightgrasp - Jedi Guardian
On the Frostclaw server

DjDangle
12.20.2011 , 02:45 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kikilicious View Post
I love them all, but I think people's main problem is the way Anikin was potrayed. I dunno though.
What do you mean? How was Anakin portrayed?

DjDangle
12.20.2011 , 02:47 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Arodin View Post
I recently watched all six movies over several days which I had never done before and it had been a long time since I saw them, and it got me thinking about this topic (so I'm glad you asked).

My feeling after watching them was that the prequels are not that bad. They are very entertaining to watch. The problem is they do not nearly live up to the potential. They could have been so much better, and I think that's why people hate them -- not because they are bad movies, but because they are not great movies.

The issues I have with them:

-- The Phantom Menace is a waste of a film. Starting the Anakin story when he is so young was pointless. Not much of significance happens when the main character is a 9 year old. The core of the story is basically about a little boy trying to win a fancy go-cart race with nice special effects. Starting with Anakin so young also makes the romance between Padme and Anakin feel a little awkward later on in the other films since she apparently met him when she was a young adult and he was a toddler.

-- Once we get to Attack of the Clones, the next big mistake begins. Through a combination of acting and writing, Anakin is immediately not likable. Anakin should have been a tragic hero, a character we love but know he's heading somewhere dark. Like if Luke Skywalker fell to the dark side -- that's what it should have felt like. Instead he's just immediately creepy. In order to show early signs of him leaning toward the darkside, they made him all crotchety and annoying. He gives Obi-Wan attitude, he gives Padme attitude, he gives the Jedi Council attitude... and not in a charming way, but in more of a "this guy is a total d-bag" way.

-- If his attitude wasn't enough, Anakin is also very aggressive and creepy in his pursuit of Padme (made creepier by the fact that the last time we saw him, and the last time Padme saw him, he was 9). He stares at her with those creepy eyes like some hungry animal. When Padme supposedly falls in love with him, it feels phony and forced.

-- On another topic, something else I can't stand in the prequels is the invention of the midi-chlorians. The force was always something fantastical. It wasn't supposed to have an explanation. Creating a lame sci-fi medical explanation for the force was a ridiculous idea. It ripped away the mystique and fantasy of Star Wars. I hope the word midi-chlorian is never mentioned anywhere in SWTOR.

People talk about other things like how annoying Jar Jar is, or minor continuity issues between the films, but I don't think those things are very important. These issues I listed have to do with the core of the story, and that's where the movies really failed.

Spot on with everything you say

GhostRiderLSOV
12.20.2011 , 02:48 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DjDangle View Post
What do you mean? How was Anakin portrayed?
In such a way that if he spoke to a chat like that, he'd be on everyone's ignore list.
"Every little thing that helps."
Hile'Iteu Lightgrasp - Jedi Guardian
On the Frostclaw server