Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's wrong with the prequels?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What's wrong with the prequels?

pezit
12.19.2011 , 02:36 PM | #11
Well the first one is by far the worst one in my opinion largely because of the drawn out pod race and jar jar binks, I have no problem with the rest of the gungans but jar jar binks is too much of a clown and it's just not very funny.

Everything else I enjoy, now the movies are no masterpieces but they're good fun and I think the turning of Anakin is well made. My favorite character in the prequals has to be Obi-Wan, well acted and interesting character

DuchessOfDork
12.19.2011 , 02:41 PM | #12
Terrible script, terrible acting, terrible movies. I think it's kind of insane that they manage to take such good lore and make such bad movies out of them. I went into Episode 1 with hope, and walked out with disappointment and confusion.

But whatever, I'm sure someone enjoys them. I just think the movies might have been better if Darth Maul loved through all 3 movies. As it was, Padme and Obi Wan were the only characters who remained the same throughout all 3 films and they were so boring it was like watching paint dry. The whole reason the original 3 worked (despite some bad writing in there, too) was because the actors had chemistry.

The new trillogy had no chemistry and no charm. They were almost painful to watch.

DarthSeer
12.19.2011 , 03:22 PM | #13
  • The acting is simply wooden. Even some of my favourite actors (Ewan MacGregor being a perfect example) had no screen prescence whatsoever.
  • The story was badly written, lots of inconsistancies with the original trilogy, the romance took far too much screen time and Anakin's fall was started far too late in the series.
  • Countless villains were introduced as one-hit wonders with no character development or backstory. Both Maul and Greivous could have been brilliant villains in their own right, but should have spanned all three movies (two at least).
  • An over-reliance on special effects to do the story telling.
  • Bad direction, not enough time to establish plot, no real depth to the story or sub-plots to explore.

I think that's everything, I'll come back if I think of anything else
Luke: Well, I guess I'll go bullseye some womprats in my T-16.
C-3PO: My God, you shoot small animals for fun? That's the first indicator of a serial killer, you freak!

PellonSW
12.19.2011 , 03:30 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
The actors did their best with the script they were given.

The movies themselves made no sense. At the very start of TPM the droid army descends from space on the opposite side of the planet from the city they intend to attack, allowing the protagonists to take the "faster" route "through the planet core" which takes all of 10 minutes but is somehow accomplished faster underwater in a twisting cavern while being attacked by monsters than the droid army can accomplish above ground with aircraft.

It's just an excuse to see a shiny underwater bubble city and have a pointless underwater action sequence. It goes downhill from there.
I've seen Natalie and Ewan work off of terrible scripts from other movies but they were nowhere near as bad as in the Star Wars prequels. Just a bad day at the office for them. Either way agreed the TPM plot was ridiculous and the whole Anakin-Padme story arc was terrible from start to finish. There was a scene where Anakin ruthlessly murders an entire tribe of Tusken raiders (children included!) out of vengeance of his mother's death which shocks Padme but apparently this act is easily forgivable. Later on Anakin kills Jedi children and after Padme was confronted by Obi-Wan she refused to believe that he was capable of such a thing. Really?

DuchessOfDork
12.19.2011 , 03:43 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by PellonSW View Post
Later on Anakin kills Jedi children and after Padme was confronted by Obi-Wan she refused to believe that he was capable of such a thing. Really?

Killing younglings?

I don't think I've cringed that much in my entire life.

Celestry
12.19.2011 , 04:38 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSeer View Post
  • The acting is simply wooden. Even some of my favourite actors (Ewan MacGregor being a perfect example) had no screen prescence whatsoever.
  • The story was badly written, lots of inconsistancies with the original trilogy, the romance took far too much screen time and Anakin's fall was started far too late in the series.
  • Countless villains were introduced as one-hit wonders with no character development or backstory. Both Maul and Greivous could have been brilliant villains in their own right, but should have spanned all three movies (two at least).
  • An over-reliance on special effects to do the story telling.
  • Bad direction, not enough time to establish plot, no real depth to the story or sub-plots to explore.

I think that's everything, I'll come back if I think of anything else
I was going to write my own responce, but this is what I would have said 100%.

Rayje
12.19.2011 , 04:52 PM | #17
I didn't /hate/ the prequels, but there are definitely things that I hated about them.

Jake Lloyd - Anakin may have been fairly awful, but baby Anakin was almost painful for me to watch.

Too many Jedi - I hate to say this, I really do, but it made the movies boring. there needed to be more non-Jedi chars. what would the OT have been without Han, Chewie, Lando, or Leia?

as for more darth maul - I loved darth maul. I love ray Parks. but, (especially considering the director) I think I would have been too easy to over use him. better he died quickly when we were still fond of him than watch him beck e a broody charicature of himself.

DuchessOfDork
12.19.2011 , 04:55 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayje View Post
as for more darth maul - I loved darth maul. I love ray Parks. but, (especially considering the director) I think I would have been too easy to over use him. better he died quickly when we were still fond of him than watch him beck e a broody charicature of himself.
I think it would have been nice if they actual gave him a personality. He was such a great idea that was never used.

PulseXXX
12.19.2011 , 05:07 PM | #19
1 - Inconsistencies with the first trilogy

2 - Jar Jar Binks and everything about him

3 - Hayden Christensen's terrible acting

4 - Too much Jedi, ie, the complete lack of a 'Han Solo esque' character.

I could go on, but those are the major problems. As a piece of eye candy, episodes 1-3 were masterful. As an example of epic storytelling, the first three episodes are atrocious.

Anysao
12.19.2011 , 05:12 PM | #20
I loved em.

Especially #3. cheezy answer, but eh.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.
You cannot escape the Moonbanger!The Ebon Hawk Starfighter Enthusiast.