Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Video Problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 01:15 AM | #1
Recently I have been having a lot of problems with playing SWTOR and these past two weeks I
have scratching my head to see what the issue is.

About two weeks ago after about three hours of play my computer will stutter/hang graphic and
video wise for a short period and gradually get worse that by hour four, it comes unplayable.

If I were to log out of the game and back on nothing changes. The only solution that I have
found to work is that by completely logging off and rebooting my system, I can get another
three to four hours of play time in before I have to restart the system again.

I have tried the latest release and beta drivers with no effect. I have cleaned out my system
and been monitoring my temps. My GPU temps are in the (60ís) while playing and my CPU
temps are in the (60ís).

I have run SWTOR in admin and non-admin mode and still no change. I have also ran with
SLI mode on and off with no effect.

Anyone have any ideas?

My system specs:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Corsair 2gb ddr3 1600 mhz (12gigs total)
500Gb SSD
I7 Intel 3.2mhz processor
Thermaltake Toughpower 1.2kw ATX PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 x2 (SLI enable)

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 01:19 AM | #2
DX report

Spoiler

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 01:20 AM | #3
The other half of the report

Spoiler

Tirvaak
08.25.2012 , 04:23 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Jarkin,

Thank you for posting. From everything that you have described, my first reaction would be that your graphics card is overheating. I know that you mentioned the temperatures while playing but I'm curious to know if these temps increase after the 3-4 hour window you have described.

Could you let me know if the temperatures rise around the point where you notice the game becomes unplayable?

Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 08:21 AM | #5
I've been keeping an it during game play using MSI Afterburner.

During gameplay the highest temp that I have seen is 65C when the problems start.

Tirvaak
08.25.2012 , 08:58 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Jarkin,

Thank you for clarifying that for me. when this happens, have you checked to see how much RAM is free when the computer starts slowing down? You can check this through task manager by using the "Resource Monitor" under the "Performance" tab.

Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 11:11 AM | #7
I'll do that and get back to you.

Jarkin
08.25.2012 , 03:06 PM | #8
So after three hours of playtime, my issue returned.

I checked that system resource page and found that I was using 98% or my memory! I also found that I was getting hard faults on my memory and hard drive. I immediately shut down the game. My memory usage went from 98% to 85%. This didn't seem right to me and did some more investigation as the 85% was constant and was not dropping.

The next largest file in use was WDFEM.exe. According to the system it was using over 10gigs! I jumped on the internet to see what this file is.

I found out this is the file used for the Western Digital software that I have installed for my external hard drive. According to the official forums, which can be found http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Softw.../307488/page/4 , there is a know issue with this software. It seems that this program constantly scan your hard drive in "automatic" mode to update the external hard drive.

I uninstalled the software for my external hard drive and ran CC cleaner as recommended on the forums. I noticed right away that my memory usage went from 85% down to 16%. I think this is a little high but I am not an expert on that.

My current plan is to reboot my system and see what happens after taking the above actions.

Jarkin
08.26.2012 , 07:37 PM | #9
Glad to report that everything is working okay. I have had not problems since finding that program that was causing all my problems.

Thank you for all the help.

Nyxxor
08.27.2012 , 03:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarkin View Post
I7 Intel 3.2mhz processor
There is ur problem...nah just kidding. Glad u got it work tho.
Spoiler