Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armormech/Synthweaving - Short End of the Deal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Armormech/Synthweaving - Short End of the Deal

xGBox
08.24.2012 , 03:54 PM | #1
As I've outlined the perks of each crafting skill in my other thread, I do genuinely feel that Armormechs and Synthweavers have the short end of the deal on this one. Basically what it comes down to is that all the other ones, when successfully reverse engineered, can craft best in slot items (i.e. Earpieces, Implants) or item modifications (Hilts, Barrels, Armorings, Mods, Enhancements, and most Crystals if color is not of concern).

Armormechs and Synthweavers have essentially nothing to gain from being present at tier 2 operations. While they can RE and craft Campaign belts and bracers, moddable bracers and belts can be fine-tuned to supersede the stats given by Campaign ones, can be fine-tuned and remain viable forever.

Being able to craft Campaign armor shells is also exceptionally pointless. Unless you genuinely enjoy Tier 2's design (Trooper still wins imo), the mats required to craft these shells require about the same mats as the other ones that provide actual stats! Adding even more insult to injury is that when you reverse engineer some shells, it will yield Grade 1 materials while most other items of this tier will usually yield a Molecular Stabilizer.

Ultimately, there is nothing for Armormechs and Synthweavers to make a profit on the GTN. Everybody else can craft BoE items that demand over 1 million credits easily (especially for the ones who pioneered the crafting).

Now that's all said and done, how do we propose to make them more viable crafting skills either now or for the next tier? I personally have a few:

1. Chance to drop BoP Armormech or Synthweaving schematics on boss kills in HM Denova. I personally believe BoP Black Hole gear is more fair to implement without removing the actual requirements of Black Hole Commendations, but it still doesn't make a way for them to make money. If it was BoE Black Hole gear, all prices of mods and enhancements would plummet. Armorings will take a serious hit in profit but will still be useful for belts and bracers. However, I do believe that eventually everything will stabilize and it will be roughly fair between the six skills.

2. Higher chances to RE and craft armoring shells or reduce the type of materials needed (can be applied to Armstech and Artifice mainhand/offhand shells as well). If you're going to let us craft such a pointless and almost purely aesthetic item, you either make the chance to learn the schematic really high or you reduce the mats needed to craft them to be on line with other items that only need Grade 6 mats. Requiring Grade 8 mats is simply too much to ask for.

3. 20% chance to RE and craft BoE Black Hole armor. A different take on 1, this will serve mostly as a Black Hole Commendation dump but if successfully RE'd will allow them to craft BoE Force-based or Tech-based Black Hole armor. This is also an incentive to keep Armormech or Synthweaving on your character as it would need to be present for operations to obtain Black Hole Commendations.

If you have any suggestions let me know!
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

Trollolololo
08.24.2012 , 04:13 PM | #2
Most serious raiders just pick up either armormech/synth for the rakata bracers and belt if they lack funds for moddable bracers and belt with armoring and mods, then drop it and go to biochem for the reusable adrenal...

Just saying.

EDIT:
Armormech/Synthweaving can also RE the Campaign Tier armorings (i.e. Reflex Armor 26). On my server those sell for 1.6m+
Hirluin Berani, 50 Commando, The Harbinger
Proud member of <M O T O R>
What does the term "QQ" mean? It doesn't mean crying or whining.
My Commando Blog (Still a work in progress)

xGBox
08.24.2012 , 04:22 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollolololo View Post
Most serious raiders just pick up either armormech/synth for the rakata bracers and belt if they lack funds for moddable bracers and belt with armoring and mods, then drop it and go to biochem for the reusable adrenal...

Just saying.

EDIT:
Armormech/Synthweaving can also RE the Campaign Tier armorings (i.e. Reflex Armor 26). On my server those sell for 1.6m+
No, they can't. Cybertech reverse engineers and crafts armorings. I understand that they're profitable, but that doesn't help Armormechs and Synthweavers which so far can craft nothing worthwhile from Tier 2 content.
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

finelinebob
08.25.2012 , 03:26 AM | #4
Only one quibble I have with the OP ... we ALL get the short end of the stick when it comes to end-game crafting. I agree that armormech and synthweaving get the shortest stick, though. It seems obvious that what end-game crafting exists currently is an afterthought; a "quick fix" to provide something, anything, as if we'd be fooled into thinking it was enough.

It isn't.
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet

pointvector
08.25.2012 , 06:05 PM | #5
Synthweavers didn't get the short end of the stick. They got the whole tree. Man, your augment components sell for 50k a piece. You craft augments that sell for 75k or nearly, AND all your stuff is made from normal, everyday, run of the mill companion missions. No running a thousand space missions for one lockbox. Synth can make ten million in a week with no effort. If you are worried about RE'ing something, just buy it off the GTN. You have the best crafting in the game, and you should be uber rich.