Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game freezing during fights

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game freezing during fights
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tindergarten
08.24.2012 , 12:07 AM | #1
About a month ago, I installed a Mushkin SSD and a Radeon 6850 video card, loaded both Win7-64 and SWTOR onto the new SSD, and everything has been working quite well with graphics settings on medium. One week ago, on 8/16/12, the game suddenly froze during PvP. Anything beyond piddling around the Fleet has been nearly unplayable since that time. During the last week, I have attempted countless PvP matches, and successfully made it through only two. Tonight I tried questing, and again it froze during a class boss fight. I have upgraded all drivers, all windows updates, all everything that's ever been suggested anywhere, whether it seemed relevant or not. I've been monitoring my GPU heat, and the freeze-ups seem unrelated, as the temp at time of freezing is only around 57 C, and not even at it's recorded max. I've dropped video settings to "very low" with no change in performance. I've run the install fixer. I've run memory checks. Hard drive checks. In every single freeze instance, the reliability history recorded "The program swtor.exe version 1.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed" with AppHangB1.

DxDiag follows:
Spoiler

I am seriously frustrated here, because although it "feels" like a hardware issue on my end, I'm chasing ghosts trying to find it. It makes no sense, as nothing has changed on my system in the days prior to the problems staring. No new software, nothing. Please help!

Tirvaak
08.24.2012 , 12:50 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Tindergarten,

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear that you are having some problems with this AppHangB1 error. Could you post a copy of the report that appears when you get this AppHang message as it may shed some light on what the problem is?

Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Tindergarten
08.24.2012 , 12:53 AM | #3
Sure:
Spoiler

Tirvaak
08.24.2012 , 01:08 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Tindergarten,

Thank you for that, there are a few possibilities as to what could be causing this issue. Could you confirm that you have run the repair through the launcher to rule out any corrupt asset(s) in the installation?

If you have tried this already and it has not helped, could you please create a new user profile on your system with full admin rights and run the game to see if the same issue occurs?

Thanks.

Tindergarten
08.24.2012 , 01:20 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tirvaak View Post
Hi Tindergarten,

Thank you for that, there are a few possibilities as to what could be causing this issue. Could you confirm that you have run the repair through the launcher to rule out any corrupt asset(s) in the installation?

I ran the repair by finding it in the game folder and clicking the executable. I honestly didn't even realize there was a way to do it through the launcher itself until today, and the option to run it is greyed out, says something about it being available after patching or if an error is detected.

I'll try with the new account, but this late at night I may not get a PvP queue.

Tirvaak
08.24.2012 , 01:27 AM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Tindergarten View Post
I ran the repair by finding it in the game folder and clicking the executable. I honestly didn't even realize there was a way to do it through the launcher itself until today, and the option to run it is greyed out, says something about it being available after patching or if an error is detected.

I'll try with the new account, but this late at night I may not get a PvP queue.
Hi Tindergarten,

In order to run the repair you will need to first login to the launcher, when the play button appears you should be able to click on the cogwheel in the left corner and select reapir. The executable you ran I believe is the fixlauncher.exe, which specifically focuses on issues with the launcher, not the game installation.

Even though you might be able to get a Warzone at this time, you did mention that it also happened in a class boss fight, maybe you could try it again to see if the same thing occurs.

Thanks.

Tindergarten
08.24.2012 , 02:13 AM | #7
Embarrassed I didn't figure out that you had to actually log in first to use the repair....

... "file scan and repair completed successfully..."

... test run in progress....

No good.

So I set up a new user account and logged in that way. Was surprised to find that boss I was referring to earlier down. Must have gotten him close before crashing, and sat there pouting long enough for my companion to finish him off. Luckily, I did manage a PvP queue. And... surprisingly... made it through. So we may have an answer, though I hesitate to get too excited after only one run. Now then, is there any way, knowing it will work on another user account on the same computer, to make it work on the account that I actually use? Or will it forever only work on that second account?

Tirvaak
08.24.2012 , 02:38 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Tindergarten,

I'm hoping that you won't be forever tied to the second account. We use this as a test method to determine if the cause of a problem is something attached to the user profile or not. In this instance I think it might be something on the other account but a little more testing might be necessary.

The next step is to load back into your original profile and perform a clean boot. You can find the details of how to perform this here. This will help to find what process is causing the problem, if indeed it is a process causing this.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks.

morfius
08.24.2012 , 05:11 AM | #9
Did you stop auto defragment on SSD?
Do you have torrent client working on SSD?
Did you check your antivirus behavior?
Many freezes here are related to storage read.
SSD is ultimate one, but could degrade due to bad system settings.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Tindergarten
08.24.2012 , 04:50 PM | #10
Wow, I really hate this testing business. Don't have the patience for it. Nonetheless, I have determined that my new windows profile works fine. The regular one doesn't. No matter what processes and start ups I have turned on or off. I had a few successful run on my first clean boot, and several more in a row after turning processes on, then it all went kaput. And remained kaput after turning things back off. And stayed firmly kaput during another clean boot. Yet the new profile still works.

Yes, I have auto defrag off the SSD. I don't use torrent. Clean boot has the antivirus turned off.

Thank you for your patience and help so far. I am SOOO frustrated!